Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant Google First Page Results
    Can a merchant expect to have all of the first 10 Google results for their name? I have a smaller boutique merchant at SAS that emailed me once again because I show in the top 10 natural Google results for their name. I even have them on a special page so their name doesn't show merchant name coupon code etc. I only have about 6 links on my page for them, yet show in the top 10 without even trying to. They want me to do more to make sure I don't show up in the top 10.
    I emailed them asking if they would rather have their affiliates there or their competitors. Do you think it is reasonable that they would expect to have all top 10 results themselves?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    Do you think it is reasonable that they would expect to have all top 10 results themselves?
    It's not reasonable for anyone to "expect" anything from an unbiased search engine.

You're not doing anything wrong, Connie - your SEO is better than theirs - they should be thrilled to have you in their program, not trying to squish your potential. Geesh
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

agreed rexanne.

If you are following their TOS, then what's the problem?

Don't they want to make sales?

Seems like they don't want to make the effort to increase their SEO for the top 10 results.

Thing is that my page isn't even optimized. I am not even trying, I actually have them on a special page to not be optimized as some other merchants may be because they keep emailing on the issue. I don't see many merchants at all with all the top 10.
    I would think their time would be better spent on important issues and not something so unrealistic.

ABW Ambassador
    I think they're crazy!

Do folks actually type their name into search engines? Are they a recognized brand? I ask this because you described them as a "smaller boutique merchant."

I would guess that they derive a whole lot of benefit from being on your site and getting exposure from all the traffic you get independently of their name.

I had one merchant toss me from their program, because I kept scoring in the top 5 places in google for their main product (which was very close to a generic term I had optimized for on several different sites). I just replaced their product with a competitor's. They closed their affiiliate program two or three months later.

Lily

ABW Ambassador
    You're what they call an authority site. Have been around for years, have lots of nice one way links in etc. So you're going to rank well for a lot of pages, kind of like ABW is an authority type site, as we've seen how fast and how well some threads rank. And if they're a small, boutique type merchant, I doubt they have many searches on their name anyway and when they do, I would rather have an affiliate of mine show up then a competitor, a complaint page on the merchant, etc.

They aren't a brand I had heard of, they are on Shareasale, and are a childrens/baby type site. From the results of the search it is easy to see they aren't a big brand and highly doubt people are searching for their name. If people are, they have the top 2 spots and people can clearly see it is them and that we aren't them. I think they could be using their energies better, like making sure their links in SAS all work, which they don't.

It smacks of a merchant who begrudges his affiliate sales. Like a store with commissionable sales people - many times, when a sales person starts to make "too much money" the store owner will cut their commission level. It's so dumb and very arrogant and happens all the time. It's a particular mindset that's not worth battling.

If I was a merchant and one of my affiliates was doing well in my program, I'd be doing everything I could to keep that affiliate happy. Sounds also like a merchant who is using the affiliate program for branding and doesn't see it as a serious business model.

Changing out their links with a competitors is the ultimate way to take back control and stop helping the clueless merchant brand themselves with your hard-won traffic and reputation.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I am number 7, not even in the top 5. And as I said, this is not even a merchant coupon type listing. Just merchant name.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't worry about it, go watch wrestling or watch Sweeney Todd, your boy is in it.

I am number 7, not even in the top 5. And as I said, this is not even a merchant coupon type listing. Just merchant name.
    Connie, it's like wrestling with a pig - you get dirty and the pig doesn't mind.

Trust is right ... let it go. They're clueless and you're worrying about something that's an absolute waste of your time.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Silly merchant. Crazy that they'd give you a hassle over something that is beneficial to them.

The merchant obviously doesn't understand even the basics of Internet searches. Do your website statistics report search terms that resulted in site visits? If so, you might document some of them and explain to the merchant that people aren't finding you by searching the business name, but by using other words. And that you can't possibly guess the infinite variations people will search with, let alone tailor your site to rank poorly for all variations.

X

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Offer to go visit them personally with a cluebat.

That's what I'd do.

Connie,
    I'd be interested to know how long their program has been active. Might explain their 'greenness' to SEO

I just got this in an email:
    I wish all of my affilates would optimize for generic terms and not brand names.

Ummm, I am not optimizing. Well I actually have been "de-optimizing" if that is a word and I am sure it isn't, and am still in the top 10.

Connie, are you making any money from them? If not, drop them. they aren't worth the trouble. If you are, is it enough to justify the effort... or non-effort they want from you?

The only way FlamingoWorld isn't going to rank well for any merchant is to take down their page replacing it with a competitor, then put them on a page with a noindex in the robot.txt.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    Connie,
    I'd be interested to know how long their program has been active. Might explain their 'greenness' to SEO
    Campaign Start Date: 01-Feb-06

Out of 11 sales I have had for them, only 3 came from the page in Google.
    3 came from other sites, the rest from searches on my site or category pages on my site.

We have many merchants we don't rank well for because we don't keyword spam our site pages like some when they reach our site. We try to make the site usable for visitors. Some of the sites that push us down are really bad. And some merchants are saturated in the search engine results.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Explain (again) that you are not optimizing for the term. Then ask them if they want to continue to work with you. If they answer anything other than yes replace them with another merchant and then see what they have to say about it. I would love to know!

Its easy to threaten an affiliate with termination when the affiliate is making money. When the affiliate has no relationship with the merchant they will have a difficult time saying you are infringing on their trademark (which probably isn't registered).

We have many merchants we don't rank well for because we don't keyword spam our site pages like some when they reach our site. We try to make the site usable for visitors. Some of the sites that push us down are really bad. And some merchants are saturated in the search engine results.
    I'm sorry. I didn't make that clear. It's like Trust said... you're an authority site. You rank well because of who you are. If you have a merchant that doesn't have a large presence of their own or through the spammier(?) sites you will rank well without trying.

In order to do what this merchant wants you to do, you'll have to hide your page from the engines, or you'll beat them. Gets back to my first comment, is it worth the non-effort that becomes effort?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I have trouble letting things go. I want to educate not just give up. I want them to see the light. They have great potential, I love their stuff it is very cute. I guess when I start my blog on my niche site shortly I won't be blogging about their products.

Campaign Start Date: 01-Feb-06
    Didn't expect that

I have trouble letting things go. I want to educate not just give up. I want them to see the light. They have great potential, I love their stuff it is very cute. I guess when I start my blog on my niche site shortly I won't be blogging about their products.
    You could always point them to this thread

Ah, I see now that they have a related links page on their site. Lots of links, some to blogs. Blogs that also show up in the search results for them. I see now, they want the blogs, their link partners to rank and not their affiliates.
    They also have some other sites listed that I have affiliate relationships with. Their links are non-affiliate however.
    So they want the sites in the top 10 that they don't have to pay commission to.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Don't worry about it, go watch wrestling or watch Sweeney Todd, your boy is in it.
    I have it sitting right here, but no time to watch it yet. I just look lovingly at the dvd jacket.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast