Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Could you make $10k a month with a comic book site?
    Is that title subtle enough for you?

Basically I spent the last 2 years working a niche that I know zero about, and it shows. The site made a little bit of money, about minimum wage, but it never "broke through".
    So Im burned out now and kind of mad, and Im like I hate this site, and I want to make a new site that I would actually love doing.

I like comic books a lot, but I know that the sales have tanked today compared to 20 years ago.

I dont want to make a site where I'll never make good money on it (once again) and will always be struggling. I want to make some good money.
    So do you think a site about comic books can make $10k a month? Thats my ultimate long term dream amount of money to make.

thanks

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    If enough people buy comic books from you : )
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    If enough people buy comic books from you : )
    I dont think I'd sell comics. More like selling adsense and ads.
    I think Adsense would be my only money maker actually.

Quote Originally Posted by marc100
    I think Adsense would be my only money maker actually.
    Go build a niche site on mesothelioma, run adsense ads and you'll make 10K a month easy.

I seriously doubt you'd make 10K in adsense on a comic book site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Lotta comic book sites out there. Might be fun, though, to try a few things and see whether anything converts with Adsense, then either quit and move on, or develop it into something.

FYI -- Maybe you've already done this, but if you Google comic books, you get more than 13 million results; "comic books" -- that is, with the quote marks -- turns up more than 11 million.

Certainly haven't any advice to offer myself, but if you have a passion for comic books, then you should at least explore what might work.

I'm sure wiser more successful folks than I will weigh in shortly.
    Generate more fake news.

Sure, that's certainly possible. Not easy, but possible. To do that, you're going to need to get a lot of targeted traffic, either by building something that will draw large numbers of comic fans to your site or will utilize PPC (or both).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Go build a niche site on mesothelioma, run adsense ads and you'll make 10K a month easy.

Well the key here is to do something that I actually enjoy.
    Im in a place in my life where im burned out on trying to chase after money and I want to do a site thats fun for me.

But I dont want to do something unless it has a potential to make money.
    I enjoy comic books, video games, computers.

Cool
    re the comic site, if you haven't done it already: add manga & anime and eBay (is a lot easier now to add foreign versions).

Do people make good money with eBay?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Do people make good money with eBay?
    I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt with all of your questions but now I have to ask...are you serious?

You say you are burned out on chasing money, but then you say you don't want to do something unless it has potential to make money...sounds like money chasing to me.

If you don't want to chase money then stop chasing it.

Everything has the potential to make money.

Nothing has the potential to make money.

There is truth in both of these statements.

Stop looking for a magic bullet (ahh I hate to be cliche) and start doing some work.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.

Seriously? Although I'd think having said this for everyone to see.. everyone and their mom might try now, making that 10k not so easy.

marc100, what writerguy said. You'll have to deal with a lot of websites about comic books. Is it possible to make something though? Of course. I'm no SEO expert, but with that many websites, I'd think it may be hard to get yourself listed in the top in the search rankings. I could be wrong of course, although some long keyword terms you could most likely.

Having a passion will make it easier or more enjoyable. Look around, search through comic websites, think about what you as a comic book fan want in a website. Check to see if anyone does that. Think of ways to improve upon what is done. If you can figure out something that would make your website more valuable to comic book fans than other websites, you have a better chance to make money from it. And a better chance people will link to you and tell their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Seriously? Although I'd think having said this for everyone to see.. everyone and their mom might try now, making that 10k not so easy.
    I think he was joking because that term is known for paying high on adsense

Google mesothelioma, a million other webmasters are already on it and have been for years.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Log into SAS and check out the February newsletter from Things From Another World, a comic book and accessories store here:
    http://www.shareasale.com/a-newsarch...erchantID=8908

There you'll find this:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2007 was a GREAT year for TFAW.com. In late 2006 we made some big changes to our pricing, product selection, and ordering process. These changes paid off handsomely and led to some very happy results:

+2007 revenue more than doubled overall compared to 2006
    +With the help our great affiliate partners, revenue tripled in the affiliate channel
    +We shipped more packages in the 4th quarter of 2007 than we shipped in all of 2006
    +We continue to maintain order processing service levels by employing up to 20 shipping staff during peak periods
    +Product availability has increased dramatically as we now carry a wider variety of products, offer longer pre-order periods, and restock popular items faster than our competitors
    +We now have the widest selection of graphic novels of any online comic store
    +We were able to maintain superior quality customer service by increasing from three to five full-time CSRs

Looking forward into 2008, we recently overhauled our nick & dent inventory management system, and we now have over 900 "slightly used" graphic novels and 300 statues available with excellent prices - all 50% off. This program is growing very quickly and we expect it to be one of our strongest categories this year.

We've also got big plans for the site itself, but we can't talk about them quite yet. Stay tuned, we believe this is going to be our best year ever!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know Dale that runs it, exclusive merchant at SAS, well-run ethical program. The excerpt from their newsletter above indicates to me that they're doing well.

If you can come up with a good concept and really got involved with many aspects of this niche, seems to me like you'd have the possibility of doing very well with it.

------------
    I'm in several niches that have a smaller market than 20 years ago that do quite well on the Internet... don't let the macro numbers dissuade you, the Net changed things... how many local comic book stores do you have? Probably less than 20 years ago... low margins in operating some stores (location, location, location) means the opportunity to sell comics / comic-related stuff has moved online... to you...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I think he was joking because that term is known for paying high on adsense

Google mesothelioma, a million other webmasters are already on it and have been for years.
    Ah, okay.. I've been seeing the TV ads for it.. so that caught me for a moment, but I did google it and it seemed like there were quite a few websites, lol.

Thanks.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt with all of your questions but now I have to ask...are you serious?

You say you are burned out on chasing money, but then you say you don't want to do something unless it has potential to make money...sounds like money chasing to me.

If you don't want to chase money then stop chasing it.

Everything has the potential to make money.

Nothing has the potential to make money.

There is truth in both of these statements.

Stop looking for a magic bullet (ahh I hate to be cliche) and start doing some work.
    So youre saying I shouldn't ask other webmasters how they are doing with eBay...on webmaster affiliate lounge chat board?

And youre saying its not a good idea to ask about a niche's profit potential before diving in... on webmaster affiliate lounge chat board?

Ok then, please tell me what am I allowed to ask about?

and btw, I do work and do make money. Dont assume Im a joker because I ask questions.

So youre saying I shouldn't ask other webmasters how they are doing with eBay...on webmaster affiliate website?

And youre saying its not a good idea to ask about a niche's profit potential before diving in... on webmaster affiliate website?
    My post was considering all of the other posts you've made.
    What I'm saying you should find some focus.

Sure, ask away but does that really help? Maybe it helps your hopes and aspirations so ok, I get that. In that case, keep asking.

Do people make money on eBay-- of course

Will you make money on eBay---maybe, maybe not.

Do people make money on comic book sites- I'm sure they do.

Will you make money with a comic book site- Who knows?

Etc, etc for all of your past and future questions.

I don't think you are a joker, I just think that some questions (like- do you make money on eBay) are silly; especially when there's a wealth of information already posted on here and other sites.

People can make money doing anything while others will make nothing doing everything.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way but it seems like people keep asking the same question over and over and over (how can I make money and I want to know the niches and strategies that work) but they just word it differently.

The industry (comics) is starting to make a comeback after a major crash in the 90's, but if you're just planning on making Adsense money off it to the tune of 10k a month... that's not going to happen. You really need to branch out into other income streams, and like Donuts was saying, TFAW is a good one. I met Dale at Summit, he's a stand-up guy and I'm looking forward to doing some good numbers for him later this year.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

My post was considering all of the other posts you've made.
    What I'm saying you should find some focus.

Sure, ask away but does that really help? Maybe it helps your hopes and aspirations so ok, I get that. In that case, keep asking.

Do people make money on eBay-- of course

Will you make money on eBay---maybe, maybe not.

Do people make money on comic book sites- I'm sure they do.

Will you make money with a comic book site- Who knows?

Etc, etc for all of your past and future questions.

I don't think you are a joker, I just think that some questions (like- do you make money on eBay) are silly; especially when there's a wealth of information already posted on here and other sites.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way but it seems like people keep asking the same question over and over and over (how can I make money and I want to know the niches and strategies that work) but they just word it differently.
    Really?

Because I've worked as an affiliate for many online companies for years and have always chatted with other webmasters about whats making money and what isnt. Webmasters ask me and I ask them.
    That's kind of the whole point of having a webmaster hangout, is that people can share stories. And people shouldnt be attacked for asking business questions.

I have a friend now starting a site asking me about selling luxury goods in department stores online, and who gives better commissions.
    I dont attack him for asking. He has every right to ask.
    I give my honest opinion because I want to help him. I dont try to make him feel bad.
    I tried amazon and made lousy money and found others do to, so I wish I asked before I did it.

But thanks for clearing up what I should and shouldnt ask. I was having a nice thread here and getting good advice and learning and feeling good about until you came along to make me feel bad about asking.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice. I appreciate the tips, especially on the market and different areas. Like Anime and Manga.

If you think my goal was to make you feel bad then you missed the point. I'd like to add that I didn't attack you. But word choice is everything.

I should have worn a smile when I posted that. Excuse me while I go work on my "bedside manner".

i think its a definitely possible to make good money with a comic book website.. I know a family friend who makes over 100k a year selling comic/fantasy related artwork online. Most of his stuff is really high priced so it only takes a few sales and he can potentially earn a lot of $. I don't think he even ranks that well in the engines and he isn't doing adsense. If you want to make money from advertising obviously you are going to need to drive massive amounts of traffic to your site. Do you have any sites up now? I'm curious to see what you have in mind here...
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]www.morevisibility.com[/URL]

marc100, you've been asking a lot questions that are all over the map, which is why you're getting these responses. No one was slamming you for asking.

Where is your focus? That's a rhetorical question..

People can make money (or not) on pretty much everything. Have you considered that NOT going where the money is, is also considered a strategy? I picked a niche that most people assumed could NOT make money.. and guess what.. now it is. It's also not just the niche that dictates success.. it's how you differentiate your site.

At the end of the day, if you like your topic, you'll promote it well which "should" bring in revenue. $10k/mo..? If those are your expectations, you'll be chasing different topics every month.

But I dont want to do something unless it has a potential to make money.
    You don't know if there is potential until you try - only experience will dictate how well YOU make money in a niche. Don't spend too much time looking at what others are doing, it's not always relevant.

PWA -- hang in there on the bedside manner thing. LOL! You've always been very helpful and encouraging to me and others, I'm sure.

marc100 -- you hang in there, too. I guarantee you'll find helpful people around here and PWA happens to be one of 'em, too.

The beauty of this place is the family nature of it. We all truly do try to help one another.

Just wanted to add: I, personally, have already thought of some ideas I can use to improve some of the stuff I'm doing, just reading this thread. So thanks to you, marc100, and you, PWA, and you, donuts, for your comments. When I come into my fortune with comic books, ebay, and tfaw, I'll buy you all lunch. LOL!
    Last edited by writerguy; April 3rd, 2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: To Add Last Paragraph
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by gwasserman
    i think its a definitely possible to make good money with a comic book website.. I know a family friend who makes over 100k a year selling comic/fantasy related artwork online. Most of his stuff is really high priced so it only takes a few sales and he can potentially earn a lot of $. I don't think he even ranks that well in the engines and he isn't doing adsense. If you want to make money from advertising obviously you are going to need to drive massive amounts of traffic to your site. Do you have any sites up now? I'm curious to see what you have in mind here...
    Wow thats good to know, thanks. Its really helpful to me.
    It would just be a review site, where I talk about whats going on in comics, new releases, give interviews, show youtube clips, stuff like that. I have some experience with review sites.

I just didnt know if comics was a niche that could command a large market, so appreciate hearing about your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    marc100, you've been asking a lot questions that are all over the map, which is why you're getting these responses. No one was slamming you for asking.
    Ok, im sorry. I really did not know that youre not supposed to ask business questions here.
    I apologize for asking affiliate webmaster questions.

I'm used to webmaster communities where people ask business questions and other people answer without trying to put them down.
    Now I learned, dont ask questions here.
    I got it now, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast