Question for Blogging Pros
    Hi guys, I am ashamed to admit that I know nothing about blogging. I would really like to add a blog to my site but I don't really understand how they work.

If I write an article about yellow telephones, and then another about purple pillows, will they both be indexed in the search engines, or would the contrast in topics throw off the SEs?

I guess what I am asking is those of you who have blogs, do you always keep the topics in a similar area, or are there varied?

Thanks,
    Bettylou

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    With exception of a random personal blog I have, all of my blogs are focused on a topic. So if I write about yellow telephones then maybe I'll do blue telephones, advice for fixing your telephone, telephones on sale, etc.

Yes all of the posts will be indexed in Google as long as you don't do anything shady. But for the purpose of gaining loyal readers you'll want to stay on topic...unless it's a personal blog that doesn't really have a topic.

If you are adding it to an existing site then the topic should probably be based on what the site is about.

Everything you post will be indexed, eventually, by the search engines.

Think of it as a daily online journal. Every blog post is a journal entry. Every blog page is an entry and/or a collection of entries, depending on how you choose to organize.

When the search engines go through your blog, they'll index everything they find, unless you use the robot file to exclude pages, directories, whatever.

You can post exclusively on a single topic, group of related topics, every topic that crosses your mind.

I have two blogs in my sig file that are very broad/generalist sort of things where I comment on whatever I read in the paper or see in the news -- or whatever I happen to be interested in.

I have another blog in my sig file which is related pretty closely to writing and writing tips ("writerguy," get it?) -- although because of the nature of "writing" and "writing tips," that, too, is pretty broad ranging.

If you have a very tight, very specific niche, start a blog very tightly oriented toward that niche.

It all works. That's why it's such great fun -- and why there must be a billion blogs and bloggers out there!
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I have another blog in my sig file which is related pretty closely to writing and writing tips ("writerguy," get it?) -- although because of the nature of "writing" and "writing tips," that, too, is pretty broad ranging.

If you have a very tight, very specific niche, start a blog very tightly oriented toward that niche.

It all works. That's why it's such great fun -- and why there must be a billion blogs and bloggers out there!
    This is where I guess I have the most questions (at least until I try to actually set up the blog ). Let's say you have a blog about furniture, which is a topic, but very broad. Would you probably have a harder time ranking for individual topics in SEs if you had topics in your blog about lamps, chairs, tables, rugs, and so on, than if you just had a separate blog for lamps and one for chairs, etc? Gee, wouldn't a blog on lamps be fascinating?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    In my opinion, not necessarily. It all depends on how well you optimize your sites. But personally if the topic was furniture I'd probably stick that on one blog even with it's different sub-topics.

I rank very well for broad topics and their subtopics and if I tried to niche every single niche that would be too much. But then again I already have too many sites so keep that in mind.

So do you guys promote it the same way that you would a regular product page? Can you do PPC with a blog post? Or doesn't it work that way?

Sorry for all the questions.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    a blog is just a website format. You should consider the topics on your blog just as you would any other website.

yes, you can do ppc with a blog just like any other website. Link to the Post URL.

Thanks Gary, ProWebAddict and lostdeviant,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. It was very helpful.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread