Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    Merchant Leave CJ or stay? & new networks.
    As fair sized Merchant we have been only with CJ for almost 10 years and everything has been adequate.
    Lately I havent been happy without having any growth, we pay our bills, exceed our minimum, try to communicate with/approve/disapprove affiliates daily - basically be a good merchant.
    But nothing has changed in years - I'm maintaining not growing.
    I do everything I can with our affiliates, email them, offer incentives, ask for feedback - just getting minimal responses.

In the spirit of growing, I want to try out other networks.
    My question is:
    1. Should I stop or pause our CJ campaign and try some others out or stay running with them and try others out.
    The networks I've recently talked to I tell them we do infact have a CJ account and they have all been cool with that - never once asking me to shut down CJ (which is very professional IMO)
    2. And is it bad etiquite to try out a few different networks at the same time?
    3. And what happens if the new networks don't work out - do i beg CJ to get back on?

BTW I want to mention that we also have an inhouse aff program as well, but it's relatively small and our product is nothing fancy.

So I'm looking for opinions/thoughts/comments from the people who pay my salary - all you affiliates out there.
    ....Darling you gotta let me know, Should I stay or should I go?

Peace

IJ

ABW Ambassador
    From what you describe, it doesn't sound like this is a CJ issue that would reverse itself by changing networks. Are you experiencing growth in your other marketing channels? Is your site a recognized name in your niche?

What do you think that another network can do for you that CJ isn't doing?

You will alienate some of your CJ affiliates if you move and you will undoubtedly lose some of them.

It seems as though you should be looking at other alternatives, maybe hiring an OPM even for a defined period of time. Unless you can pin your lack of growth on CJ (which I doubt), I wouldn't change networks.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Correct me if my time line is off but if I remember your earlier post correctly you said you just started trying to breath life into the program....

If by just started you meant just started in March then all I can say is you have to be patient as it takes time to grow (and I assume revive) a program.

Also, it takes time for affiliates to start generating sales so I don't know what kind of results you are expecting for such a short time period.

If my time line is off then this message will self destruct.

your right PWA im just trying to breath life into it now.
    I do say me/ but but that I mean my company and the ones before it who handled the CJ account. I'm looking at stats from as far back as I can - nothing is changed. Not that we didn't try.

The thing is with CJ im not getting feedback i would like and the support isn't that strong, I have a lot of ideas for the program but need some contact with them to set things up.
    Maybe I'm looking at a new network to start fresh with...grass greener other side fence syndrome maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBookMan
    As fair sized Merchant we have been only with CJ for almost 10 years and everything has been adequate.
    I guess the first question I would ask myself is "Is adequate good enough after 10 years with a network, and what can I expect going forward?". If after 10 years your assessment is only adequate, you could hardly do worse by moving your program somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBookMan
    In the spirit of growing, I want to try out other networks.
    My question is:
    1. Should I stop or pause our CJ campaign and try some others out or stay running with them and try others out.
    The networks I've recently talked to I tell them we do infact have a CJ account and they have all been cool with that - never once asking me to shut down CJ (which is very professional IMO)
    2. And is it bad etiquite to try out a few different networks at the same time?
    3. And what happens if the new networks don't work out - do i beg CJ to get back on?
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback on these points, but here's my very opinionated $.02.

1. Make a decision and once it's made commit to it 100%.
    2. Not necessarily bad etiquette, but likely a bad business decision. Consider the additional issues of running on multiple programs AS WELL AS your in house program.
    3. I can't imagine that you wouldn't see an improvement moving to another network. As you've stated, your program has been stagnant for a long time. Just moving alone will generate buzz and new excitement. There is also the possibility of cost savings that can be funneled back into the program to reinvigorate existing affiliates and help in the recruiting effort for new affiliates (or just used for a great vacation if you prefer).

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. Making any kind of change after 10 years isn't easy and does come with some risk involved. Make sure you keep us up to date.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

we have a fairly well known name in our niche.
    i'm hoping another network will be a little more proactive with our account.
    maybe i'm wrong and they won't be - but i'm not getting much from CJ atm.

so you thinking sticking with CJ is good, (which i can't really argue with) but what about expanding and trying some others at the same time?

I agree with Snowman. Based on what you stated here, you may want to find the reason outside of the network itself. Some thoughts on your questions:

1. If the CJ program is making money, why close it?
    2. I would never recommend any merchant "try" another network. You're establishing your program and building relationships. Make a decision about opening on another network? Sure, if it makes sense. Try another network? No. Don't try, consider your options, make your decision and run with it. If you view it as a trial, it will likely fail.
    3. Again, why close the CJ program? If you think there is a benefit to opening on another network, go ahead and keep the CJ program. If you want to kill your program, close it and expect your affiliates to follow you.

Having said this, I would first look at your program, terms, conversion rates, competition, your site (appeal, leaks, etc.).
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

There are networks I prefer over CJ, I don't think switching would make much difference. I doubt that the problem is the network. Hiring a good OPM for a period of time could really help get your program on the right track. Not that you've done anything wrong.

I happen to be a member of your program, so I recognize who you are. Your site is one of my favorites in your niche, although it's nowhere near as well known as some of the bigger ones. You have great prices and commissions. I've promoted you for almost 9 years (in your in-house program) and have done well. I'm actually working on a site in your niche that I hope to launch in the next few months.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael, i reconized you as well when i started and went through our affiliates.
    I really value and appreciate your feedback.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread