Thoughts on Google's CPA Beta
    I have been reading a lot of information on google's CPA Beta Test and was wondering if anyone is participating in the program and thier thoughts?

I just found a thread on this subject.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ght=google+cpa

So I have a new question lol. Anyone know when this comes out of Beta?

ABW Ambassador
    They'll be folding the Performics affiliate stuff into their own program now that the deal closed on March 11th, so it'll probably all be in beta for a long, long time to come. My guess is that it'll be an invite_only closed beta for a while at first.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    My thoughts are about conversion tracking accuracy... my sales are typically under reported within G's conversion tracking by about 25%... so if that's what they use, the system is way, way worse than the typical affiliate tracking system with it's inherent leaks. So if I'm a publisher, how do I attract people to sign up for the beta when I know inside my head that they'd be far better off using a traditional aff program than if using the ppa system. Further, as a merchant, there's another problem... if I also run a traditional aff program, cross channel touches can't be deduped / managed if I'm running the PPA in parallel, that can be a significant issue depending on what amount I may bid within the PPA system... even if a switch could be installed, G's terms aren't going to let me not pay the ppa tagged sales because I've installed some logic to make it right, in fact, doing so may drop me below the conversion count threshhold to be in the ppa program or it would lower my effective ppa conversion rate to the point where G's algorithms, seeking maximum profit for publishers and therefore themselves, would hurt my placements with my opted in ppa publishing partners.

So my thinking tells me, this ppa system needs to stay in beta for a while longer, there are legitimate issues to work out regarding channelization, tracking accuracy, conversion rate inaccuracy effects on recruiting and fairness, traditional aff platform bumps and much, much more.

G's done a horrible job at marketing this to their adsense users, the uptake is pitiful because of the way it's structured within the adsense user's account... if it were that hard to find programs within SAS or CJ type platforms, merchants would be rightfully squealing to high heaven.

Lastly, as the system grows in use, I anticipate a growing numbers of fraudsters trying (and finding) ways to trick the ppa trigger for their adsense accounts... so I think there are fraud issues that are yet to emerge here as well.

Let this one simmer for a while longer, perhaps a year or so, then re-evaluate whether this system fits your goals as a merchant or publisher. Do keep an eye on developments though, maybe G will toss some effort into it as it emerges and kick it's maturation into over drive.

Good luck!

PS - sometime last year, I posted about why this whole thing isn't ideal for affiliate publishers, you might want to search for that for more background from the affiliate perspective.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread