What's this all about?
    From time to time lately, Google has been presenting me with a captia box after I perform a search...it says something about the search term looking similar to something a bot or spyware would input, or something like that...then it forces me to confirm that I'm a person by using the captia box.

When did Google start doing this, and why, out of curiosity? Text appears below...

We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.

If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
    Last edited by Joe Lilly; April 4th, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

I have gotten that once about a month ago. Never since.

I've had it twice today. The first time was searching for "sfgiants" (no quotes), written that way only because I was too lazy to use two hands and I wasn't sure that typing that into the URL would redirect to the correct place. I also got it searching "brillo pad" (again sans quotes) earlier today.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Have never seen this. You better check out your computer - there could be something working in the background as they suggest.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    I've read numerous reports about this over the past month or two although it's never happened to me. Nothing to worry about. Just ignore it.

Would love to ignore it, unfortunately it's now re-prompting me every time I perform a search in a new browser session. Subsequent searches seem to get through...at least that's what it appears atm.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    See if clearing the cookies works.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread