Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    What Do You Think About Video Blogs?
    Video is where the web is heading...right?

I don't know but I've been reluctant to add any sort of video or video blogs because I can't stand videos!

When I go to a blog it's fine if you have a video but I'm not going to watch it because it takes to much time and I'm probably doing other things. I like to read because I can get to the point quickly, video annoys me because I have to sit and wait.

I know there has to be others who feel the same way. Yet I also know that there are people who enjoy video. I want to keep up with the times but it's hard when I don't enjoy the times.

I think bloggers should do both. If you are going to do a video then at least have a summary or transcribe to text so people like me can get to the point, without stopping, waiting, and watching.

What do you all think?

ABW Ambassador
    >>have a summary or transcribe to text

I don't watch the videos but READ and may wish to copy/paste to a W0RD doc to have on file.

I pretty much feel the same way. I like video if it's appropriate - it doesn't work on all sites. And a transcript is a must, in my opinion.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    "If you are going to do a video then at least have a summary or transcribe to text so people like me can get to the point, without stopping, waiting, and watching."

I check out a handful of affiliate marketing blogs everyday and I see a few doing exactly that. I like the video if it isn't too long, under 5 minutes or so.

Video is where the web is heading...right?
    I feel that we are already at video and heading to the next step whatever that may be. I am at total disagreement and can't wait for video to get even better. I am days away from canceling my direct tv because there is no need for it. Things like apple tv and others are going to change the way we even watch tv.

I have hooked up my 50 inch tv to my laptop to watch video streaming over the web.

I avoid videos like the plague. As someone still on a dial-up connection... Almost all video takes way to long to download. Why would I want to wait half an hour to download of a 3 minute video?

Now... If the video doesn't auto load and there's a transcript to read... I have no problems with videos on blogs. If all that's in a post... is video, it's pretty much useless for dial-up users.

I would still rather read text on a web page than watch a video on it, no matter how much the quality of video improves. My retention is much better after reading, and I can skim if I want to.

Videos are fine for entertainment purposes and for where you really need to see something "hands-on", otherwise I can do without most of them.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

I usually do a lot of multitasking and video doesn't lend well to that. For me it requires full attention which puts a halt to the other tasks.

X

It's funny you mention that - what I'll frequently do is open another tab while the video is playing so that I can listen to the audio portion while I'm doing other things. Jim Kukral's videos generally lend themselves pretty well to that, as do a few others that don't rely on showing things that need to be seen to be understood. I mean, you couldn't very well do that with PhotoshopTV but for some videos, it makes sense.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    It's funny you mention that - what I'll frequently do is open another tab while the video is playing so that I can listen to the audio portion while I'm doing other things. Jim Kukral's videos generally lend themselves pretty well to that, as do a few others that don't rely on showing things that need to be seen to be understood. I mean, you couldn't very well do that with PhotoshopTV but for some videos, it makes sense.
    Good point...

X

I really don't care for video or podcasts. I'm a reader. I prefer text. I can skim text and concentrate on the areas that are most relevant. That's pretty much impossible with video or podcasts.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Instructional, music, TV, sports and event, and family videos are the ones I have no problems with. If I have someone sitting there talking about their site like it is the 6:00 evening news, that is when I get turned off.

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager
    Agreed. Video is great for time-based multimedia. For just talking heads it's a waste of bandwidth.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I think the key for videos is to make sure you have a text article to go with it, detailing everything you go over in the video. That way you are address both portions of your audience - text readers and video watchers.

I love video on the web, but I've never been able to get in to podcasts for some reason.

-Mat N.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I like video blogs. It is where the industry is moving. I don't like long videos. I think they need to be short and to the point. People have short attention spans so you have to grab their attention right away to so they will watch the whole video.
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

This is an interesting thread! Thanks to everyone who posted. I have really been interested to see what you all had to say.

Here's my 2 cents worth. I think it depends on the context. Video just for the sake of video is really irritating to me. For example, when I first signed up for an article site I use, I checked out their video section and found things like video product reviews for Doritos. The video said nothing that couldn't be said in an article, and it was of poor quality. Pointless, really. Now, on the other hand, if you are talking about video that really serves a purpose, like demonstrating how to use a new gadget, I think those are great. I am generally resistant to watching videos online unless I already know it is something I am interested in, and will be worth the time. I skip over more than I watch, and I don't often watch a video all the way through to the end.

I am not using video yet in my own blogs, although I am probably going to be incorporating it selectively in the future. Creating video is a lot more involved than just writing an article. My husband and I both worked in the film industry, and so we have a pretty good understanding of what it takes to do it right. The little details go a long way, things like the background music you use- but it all comes with a price, because you have to spend the time to find (and usually, pay for) a royalty free source of music if you are going to use it. If you don't know how to edit, paying someone to do that gets expensive. The costs of creating the content can really mount up. Then if you host it on your sites, the bandwidth costs can add up too. For some things, all this is well worth the time and expense.

I think that badly-done video can be a turnoff. People are so used to seeing well edited attractive people, that when you give them anything less than what they are used to seeing on TV, you risk losing their interest. So I think that unless you either are adept at creating quality video on a shoestring budget, or unless you have the budget, equipment and know-how to really do it justice, it's probably better not to go there. There are exceptions, of course. There are plenty of people who are good enough at public speaking to successfully carry it off even if there is no slick music or editing. There are plenty more people who are so good at what they do that viewers will be willing to put up with an un-polished presentation in order to just hear what they have to say.
    Last edited by Amy_S; April 14th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.

i think its very marketable and bring a lot of profit

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread