Displaying Product Grids or Rows?
    I've always displayed my products in grids, but lately I've been seriously considering doing rows. I can display more information per product including a snippet from the description, product statistics like average rating, comments, etc. and it makes for much easier to manage CSS and PHP.

Conversely, the thing I like about using a grid is people can see more products above the fold and on a single screen. So I'm kinda debating with myself which way to go. Looking at all the major price comparison engines leads me to believe that a row-based product display is the norm.

What are your thoughts and experiences with either of these? And for those who offer a choice between grid and rows which is your default and why?

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It kind of depends on the product for me. If I want to display more information such as description, statistics, etc., I show them in rows. But if the product doesn't really need that stuff, I just display in grid format.

One site I did had a grid display but I still put a little information underneath the photo such as "Lowest Price: $x.xx" and "Found at x Stores".

It would be tough to put very much of the description in grid format.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    ...it makes for much easier to manage CSS and PHP
    Hi Scott: What issues are you having with CSS and PHP?

Come on Scott - you are the MacDaddy of PHP. Give the user the choice on the page A radio button at the top.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

And A/B Test it to see which converts better.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    I used 16 rows for years, just switched to a grid 2 X8.

See example
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Conversely, the thing I like about using a grid is people can see more products above the fold and on a single screen. So I'm kinda debating with myself which way to go. Looking at all the major price comparison engines leads me to believe that a row-based product display is the norm.
    Just so things are clear--I'm visualizing a site with a single column or row vs. a grid. If there's multiple columns/rows per page, I would consider that as a variation on a "grid" format.

As a viewer, I like the grid format, so I can see lots of results at once. But then, I also like to see "all" listings on a page whenever possible, and when not, a very large amount (I changed my Google results preference to show 100 results/page). So I'd say I have an abnormally low tolerance to being fed information in little bitlets.

Still, I think the more you can show viewers without overwhelming them, the better. Every single click needed to see something is another chance for someone's attention span to wane, costing you the sale if the item they want isn't found in time. A grid makes it possible to get more stuff visible to them right away, lessening this problem. The exception is if there is truly a whole lot of products to show in the same grid. Then it's almost like looking at a mosaic: Hard to pick out any individual element.

I will note that my webmaster experience has negatively affected my view of columns: I've seen a lot of junky sites with nothing but a column of images and about 3/4 of a sentence of default spin, going down the left side of an otherwise empty page...all using tiny micropictures, and text in eye-murdering serif font faces in font size 1, of course.

Yes it DOES irk me that ZenCart's category-page setup is a single column, before anybody asks.

And for those who offer a choice between grid and rows which is your default and why?
    The only site I've gone to that had any choice is The Google Subsection Formerly Known As Froogle. (You can tell that whatever they're calling it now, it's not memorable, at least not to me!)

If I'm doing a rank check, I stick to the default single column. Why? Because it makes it easier to count off the position. Also, it's easier to spot *my* listing.

If I'm actually looking to buy (and it's one of the rare things I want to comparison-shop for) I'll go with the grid, so I can get a good fast overview of what they have in their db for the category. If I see that all the interesting stuff is near the top, I may switch back to column-view to click the links from, because it's easier for me to remember where I left off in that view.

My reasons for resorting to Froogle may also be of interest: I usually do it when all the regular links are overrun with nonsales content crap. For instance, a year or 2 ago, I wanted some earbud foams that'd fit on an iPod-style headset. The main SERPs, at every engine, were choked with sites/posts/blogs from fanboys raving about their iPod accessories (that they owned) and no sellers could be found. So the only way I could cut out all the noise was to use Froogle!

As for a true row--a left-to-right display, rather than up and down--I hardly ever see that. The ones I did see, I didn't like--they required side-scrolling. That's rare enough that it draws attention away from the actual products. IMO the user shouldn't have to spend any neurons for basic stuff like seeing what's available. Those kinds of things should be so automatic that the viewer can devote their conscious thoughts to the important parts of the site--not on "gee this one has kooky nav...now how's it work..."

In a sentence: I'd go with grids.
    Last edited by Leader; April 6th, 2008 at 09:43 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by redgaloshes
    Hi Scott: What issues are you having with CSS and PHP?
    No issues really, but I could remove a couple lines of PHP if I don't offer a grid.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Come on Scott - you are the MacDaddy of PHP. Give the user the choice on the page A radio button at the top.
    That's one way to go, but that would require storing user preferences or passing a parameter around. Plus the added work of maintaining two templates. I'd almost rather just deal with a single template.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    And A/B Test it to see which converts better.
    That'd make a fun PPC campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Just so things are clear--I'm visualizing a site with a single column or row vs. a grid. If there's multiple columns/rows per page, I would consider that as a variation on a "grid" format.
    Yup, by "Rows" I mean a single column of product rows.

As a viewer, I like the grid format, so I can see lots of results at once. But then, I also like to see "all" listings on a page whenever possible, and when not, a very large amount (I changed my Google results preference to show 100 results/page). So I'd say I have an abnormally low tolerance to being fed information in little bitlets.
    What types of products are you talking about though? I think this really depends on the products being displayed. For something like collectibles or apparel the images should be the focus, but for something like computer parts it's more about the specs.

If I'm doing a rank check, I stick to the default single column. Why? Because it makes it easier to count off the position. Also, it's easier to spot *my* listing.

If I'm actually looking to buy (and it's one of the rare things I want to comparison-shop for) I'll go with the grid, so I can get a good fast overview of what they have in their db for the category. If I see that all the interesting stuff is near the top, I may switch back to column-view to click the links from, because it's easier for me to remember where I left off in that view.

My reasons for resorting to Froogle may also be of interest: I usually do it when all the regular links are overrun with nonsales content crap. For instance, a year or 2 ago, I wanted some earbud foams that'd fit on an iPod-style headset. The main SERPs, at every engine, were choked with sites/posts/blogs from fanboys raving about their iPod accessories (that they owned) and no sellers could be found. So the only way I could cut out all the noise was to use Froogle!

As for a true row--a left-to-right display, rather than up and down--I hardly ever see that. The ones I did see, I didn't like--they required side-scrolling. That's rare enough that it draws attention away from the actual products. IMO the user shouldn't have to spend any neurons for basic stuff like seeing what's available. Those kinds of things should be so automatic that the viewer can devote their conscious thoughts to the important parts of the site--not on "gee this one has kooky nav...now how's it work..."

In a sentence: I'd go with grids.
    Some interesting introspection on your shopping habits. Just goes to show that there's a huge market for direct-to-engine shoppers. I'd imagine most anybody who shops online doesn't rely entirely on Google SERPs.

I have seen some very successful side scrolling sites where the products were in some sort of AJAX iframe similar to Google Maps, but I don't want to offer that.

Guess it really just comes down to what you're selling.

- Scott

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Why not go for both?

I have seen a few site with options of both. Just click one or the other to change view.

I know using Smarty this would take like an hour to do - maybe less.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I've always displayed my products in grids, but lately I've been seriously considering doing rows. I can display more information per product including a snippet from the description, product statistics like average rating, comments, etc. and it makes for much easier to manage CSS and PHP.

What are your thoughts and experiences with either of these? And for those who offer a choice between grid and rows which is your default and why?

Thank you!
    - Scott

Anyway you could split test two pages one with grids the other with rows?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson Management Group
    Anyway you could split test two pages one with grids the other with rows?
    Actually might have to do that. I'm going to use rows in one place and grids in another. I suspect rows will do better because they'll match my content displays (which are row-based), making the retail better integrated into the non-retail content.

- Scott

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    That would be interesting to know what does better...

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread