Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Facebook bores me to tears
    Does anyone here like facebook?

I've tried it for months off and on, and it bores me to tears. I've tried some of the add-ons, and all I ever get is some friend or other either "super-poking me", wanting to know if I "trust" them, sending me "flowers, fishes, etc."

Maybe I'm getting old, but I find it best suited to teenagers, and not middle-aged folks like myself.

I think that the idea has merit, but I wish that there was a grown-up version.

Is it just me?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

I love it! It's a great way to keep up to date with distant family and friends and get to know a little more about the people you work with. Plus you can play Scrabble, Chess, and Texas Hold'em. I don't get into the poking, biting vampires, egg hatching, plant growing, etc., but it's easy enough to just block all that stuff.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I spend enough time online. I'd rather socialize in a bar.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt

-rematt
    That sounds good: I'd like to see you in a bar, rematt

As for Facebook, I'm bored by it too. I prefer Myspace, but I get bored by that too. Facebook is more boring than Myspace.

Really, the time could be better used developing my own sites.
    Social networking software is available for anyone who wants to turn a site into a mini social networking site -- read this:
    Nine Ways to Build Your Own Social Network
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

rematt - i'm with you!

Quote Originally Posted by rematt

-rematt
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I love Facebook! There are a lot of fun applications that keep me amused and interested.

It might have to do with the fact that I have a house full of teenagers and my brain has started to think like theirs. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I hear you - everytime I get poked or bit by a zombie I want to kill people. Thankfully Snib showed me how to turn off notifications.

You aren't the only one: do a google search on "facebook sucks" and look at all the results. ;-)

I think people were saying how great facebook is because they felt they were supposed to: people felt the same pressure as those who praised the emperor's garments in the story "The Emperor's New Clothes."

I created an account but I don't use it.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'll see y'all in the bar...

I created an account last year just to check out functionality.. no profile info, nothing, just my name.. and received a friend request from someone from high school who I did NOT keep in touch with on purpose.

My friends & family know what I'm up to...

I never really understood the whole 'social network' thing. Maybe it's because I've become to old or maybe its just my anti-social personality.

I see some value in web 2.0 interactivity, but when your strip away the glitz and glitter... isn't most of it really a forum?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    I think that the idea has merit, but I wish that there was a grown-up version.
    It's called LinkedIn

I'm proud to say I've never used MySpace or Facebook! Like rematt, I spend enough time online w/biz; I'd rather use my downtime playing with my kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I see some value in web 2.0 interactivity, but when your strip away the glitz and glitter... isn't most of it really a forum?
    My thoughts exactly. Is abestweb the internet industry insiders social network of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I love it! It's a great way to keep up to date with distant family and friends and get to know a little more about the people you work with. Plus you can play Scrabble, Chess, and Texas Hold'em. I don't get into the poking, biting vampires, egg hatching, plant growing, etc., but it's easy enough to just block all that stuff.
    This may sound like a stupid question but, isn't regular email a better way to keep up to date with distant family and friends?

Not really. Facebook is more of a "pull" mechanism rather than "push" like email. To me, it's more efficient.

The home page gives me a great overview of what is new. I can click on one page (Photos) and see new photos that Chuck uploaded from Affiliate Summit, Easter pictures from several people, pictures from distant relatives that I don't get to see very often (and never heard from outside of family gettogethers until I signed up on Facebook). I can click on another page (Status Updates) and see what a bunch of people are doing tonight. People watching the games, crashing, watching movies, watching SNL, wishing they could go on a vacation, etc. I can click on another page (Chess) and see if it's my move on any games I'm playing right now. I can do all of that (and much more) in just a few minutes.

On the other end, I can upload pictures and any of my friends and family can see them. For instance, we just had a "Star Wars" 5th birthday party for Gabriel today and the pictures are online now.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have never used Facebook or Myspace, never saw a use for it. Always thought time spent online was better spent learning or building my business. Anyone know a above board way of making cash with either one? Other than that not interested.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

The home page gives me a great overview of what is new. I can click on one page (Photos) and see new photos that Chuck uploaded from Affiliate Summit, Easter pictures from several people, pictures from distant relatives that I don't get to see very often (and never heard from outside of family gettogethers until I signed up on Facebook). I can click on another page (Status Updates) and see what a bunch of people are doing tonight. People watching the games, crashing, watching movies, watching SNL, wishing they could go on a vacation, etc. I can click on another page (Chess) and see if it's my move on any games I'm playing right now. I can do all of that (and much more) in just a few minutes.
    On the other end, I can upload pictures and any of my friends and family can see them. For instance, we just had a "Star Wars" 5th birthday party for Gabriel today and the pictures are online now.
    I've never subscribed to a social network. Are all your images and information available for public consumption or is there a way to secure it for access only by selected members? I don't feel comfortable putting a lot of personal stuff online.

X

I'm not sure about other social networks, but Facebook gives you an incredible amount of control over who sees what. The default is that almost everything can only be seen by those you have accepted as your friends.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've never had interest in Facebook or MySpace and don't foresee any.
    So far, the only so-called "social network" that's really gotten my interest is Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight01
    when your strip away the glitz and glitter... isn't most of it really a forum?
    Well, Twitter's kind of like forum-lite. It seems, in feel, to have less of a "you are on TV" effect (even though it seems that everyone actually *can* see what you say) so it's more conducive to posting things that would be seen as just clutter on a regular forum.

The only thing I don't like is the tiny size of the posting area. It needs to be twice as big. Brevity has its points, but 140 characters or so is taking it to ridiculous levels. Even when an idea can be communicated in that little amount of space, if it's not a dirt-simple statement, there's not room enough to say it with any kind of style.

On the other hand it does help me avoid compulsive re-editing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

but when your strip away the glitz and glitter... isn't most of it really a forum?
    It's similar to a semi-private forum, but not quite. With the access controls, it's much more private and controlled than a forum. You're in control of who sees what about you. It's a little more organized, as well.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I love Facebook because it redefines the status-quo in social networks. For anybody who is developing or who has developed a social network it simply cannot be ignored. They've really done some amazing things with the medium. And even if you aren't building a social network there's still a ton to learn from their interface. They've made extremely intelligent and efficient use of mechanisms like AJAX, privacy and email. As a webmaster I use Facebook to familiarize myself with all these new software trends. So in that aspect it has more business interest to me than anything. All the fun and games come 2nd in my book.

But I sure do have a blast there, great pics btw Michael!!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Warning - Long Convoluted Post
    I posted earlier that "I spend enough time online. I'd rather socialize in a bar" but I have to admit that I've never actually tried Facebook and after reading some of the response here to Steele's original question, it might make sense to give it a shot. However I still don't see it replacing interacting in person with actual live people. But it might be a good supplement for cold January nights in Chicago. But then again, cold January nights in Chicago are also great for live interaction (what to do ... what to do).

Some of the response that I just have to comment on:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    That sounds good: I'd like to see you in a bar, rematt
    Any time cutie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I love Facebook! There are a lot of fun applications that keep me amused and interested.

It might have to do with the fact that I have a house full of teenagers and my brain has started to think like theirs. LOL
    A couple of others have commented on the fun applications and games, that alone might make it worth checking out.

Of course Rexanne, anything that makes me think like a teenager is likely to get me into lots of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I hear you - everytime I get poked or bit by a zombie I want to kill people.
    Not much different from the bars I go to.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    You aren't the only one: do a google search on "facebook sucks" and look at all the results. ;-)
    Didn't really have a comment for this, just wanted to say hi Rick, you haven't posted in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    .. and received a friend request from someone from high school who I did NOT keep in touch with on purpose
    Much harder to avoid in the bar.

I never really understood the whole 'social network' thing. Maybe it's because I've become to old or maybe its just my anti-social
    I doubt if it could be because you're too old. I see (what I think) is a pretty wide age range of those in favor Facebook. I actually thought of it more as an application for "kids" (anyone under 40) but looking at the responses here, it appears that I have erred.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    It's called LinkedIn
    I've used LinkedIn for about 4 years, but I see it more as a tool for business contacts than social.

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    I'm proud to say I've never used MySpace or Facebook! Like rematt, I spend enough time online w/biz; I'd rather use my downtime playing with my kiddos.
    Another noble pursuit. But just wait until they're old enough to hit the bars. I bet they won't spend time playing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyder
    Is abestweb the internet industry insiders social network of choice?
    Now that I think about it, ABW is really the only place that I spend socializing online. I originally came here for knowledge and it's just an added benefit that I like most of the folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    This may sound like a stupid question but, isn't regular email a better way to keep up to date with distant family and friends?

That's what I thought, but....

Not really. Facebook is more of a "pull" mechanism rather than "push" like email. To me, it's more efficient.
    So... maybe I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Well, Twitter's kind of like forum-lite. It seems, in feel, to have less of a "you are on TV" effect (even though it seems that everyone actually *can* see what you say) so it's more conducive to posting things that would be seen as just clutter on a regular forum.
    I haven't tried Twitter yet either. I have been tempted though because of some of the conversations here. In some cases though it seems like it would be another distraction. I stopped using instant messaging a couple of years ago because it kept getting in the way of getting work done.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I love Facebook because it redefines the status-quo in social networks. ........ They've really done some amazing things with the medium. ...... They've made extremely intelligent and efficient use of mechanisms like AJAX, privacy and email. .....But I sure do have a blast there
    OK Snib, you are known to be the resident expert on Social Networking here on ABW. So if you endorse it, I have to at least give it a try.

So in summary, I may be missing out on something by not trying Facebook or other Social Networks. As I said earlier, I really don't see them replacing personal interaction, but that may be what makes them attractive to some people.

Frankly, I think this group would be lots of fun in a bar!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I liked Facebook before they opened it up to everyone.

Now it's just ok.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast