Angry Another reason to submit your own articles ASAP
    To keep other unscrupulous webmaster from copying your article and submitting it as their own work!

I discovered today that an article I had posted a few weeks ago, but hadn't submitted yet to Propeller like I usually do, had been copied word for word and posted on Top5Soft - even the image I used in the article: http://www.top5soft.com/tutorial/how...-computer.html

Propeller is one site that checks for duplicates, similar to Digg.com and others.

Had I submitted this article soon after posting it, this other slime ball would not have been able to submit it as his own work (and get the resulting traffic and affiliate sales from iPod 2 iTunes).

The original: http://www.rickysays.com/how-to-tran...other-computer

(note the post date)

Grrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    To keep other unscrupulous webmaster from copying your article and submitting it as their own work!
    Do you mean someone would lift a blog entry verbatim from your own blog and submit it as their own?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Do you mean someone would lift a blog entry verbatim from your own blog and submit it as their own?
    Yep, that's exactly what happened.

This isn't the first time either - it's happened several other times, where I've even seen a blog created with 3 entries that were my word-for-word articles.

I just thought it might help to warn others.

That's awful.. can you contact the site & report the plagiarism?

I had to eliminate my rss & sitemap xml feeds (ie. rename them to something only google knows under webmaster tools) due to the increased site scraping I was experiencing. It became too much of a hassle to chase down & report black-hatters to the networks.

Almost makes ya wanna give up some days, doesn't it?? *Big sigh*
    Generate more fake news.

Just found Google's advice: "If you find that another site is duplicating your content by scraping (misappropriating and republishing) it, it's unlikely that this will negatively impact your site's ranking in Google search results pages. If you do spot a case that's particularly frustrating, you are welcome to file a DMCA request to claim ownership of the content and request removal of the other site from Google's index."

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    Yep, that's exactly what happened.

This isn't the first time either - it's happened several other times, where I've even seen a blog created with 3 entries that were my word-for-word articles.

I just thought it might help to warn others.
    People suck

I have entire pages copied and pasted into other sites. Drives me batsh!t - most of the time I find these sites because the dummies leave one or more of my affiliate links in place and I happen to see it in SAS as the last click to a merchant or in my CJ deactivated merchant reports. It really annoys me when someone copies/pastes and removes my aff links. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lightbulb
    At least the sites doing this have few signs of legitimacy and more than likely no loyal audience. That's where generating your own content gives you a way to define your brand and develop your own audience. Its much more difficult to build an audience using plagiarized content. So in a way they're wasting their time copying your content because they aren't building a lasting business.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Almost makes ya wanna give up some days, doesn't it?? *Big sigh*
    Almost...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread