Is anybody here making money on ebay by selling items on a regular basis ? Every so often I get the itch to open up an ebay store or look around for drop ship suppliers.

The great thing about ebay is that almost all the leads are qualified. If you're at ebay you know what you want and you're ready to buy.

Anybody care to brainstorm on running an ebay store without maintaining an inventory ?

The main problem with drop-shipping is you have to make sure the items will be shipped within 30 days. I've seen a lot of complaints regarding slow shipping.

I would suggest going to the ebay discussion boards ("Community" link) on ebay. Read the "Trust & Safety" board and the "ebay Stores" board.

ABW Ambassador
    I used to do quite well with eBay selling my own merchandise. However; my 'DAY JOB' schedule change and eBay's increasingly stringent policy changes have curtailed my eBay activities. Just not enough hours in the day

Affiliate Manager
    I have just started dabbling selling products on Ebay. I do stock the product though, I don't work through a drop shipper.

If you can find a good supplier and a good product it is some fairly easy money but finding those two things is the hard part.

The main problem with drop-shipping is you have to make sure the items will be shipped within 30 days.
    I suppose that could be a problem. I was curious. Why couldn't you sell at ebay and then turn around and order from say amazon and fill in the auction winner in the ship to adddress ? So many times ebay bids go highe than what somebody could just buy the item for. Must be that auction fever.

eBay's increasingly stringent policy changes
    Can you elaborate on this ?

ABW Ambassador
    There have been so many policy changes (most detrimental IMHO to the seller) that I can't hope to remmember or list them all. Of special significance to me was when they decided NOT to allow off-site linking to a site where the product is available. You can link to an image or an actual product (ie a website) but but business cannot be transacted on the site being linked to. This was very important to my wife who was listing items on eBay with a link to her website. Often she would sell the product listed on eBay for MORE than she was selling it for on her site but she received numerous orders directly from her site as a direct result of the eBay listings. So at one time even if you didn't sell the exact product you had listed on ebay you could potential sell a related item from your website and recoup your listing costs that way. No more...

That's just one example of the many NO-NO's now on eBay's policy books. Another consideration is carefully check any potential items for "copyright" infringement. A friend of mine deals exclusively in licensed, rare, WWF/WWE memorabilia and he has basically been put out of business on eBay because every time he tries to post an item for sale the WWE screams foul and his auctions are yanked...regardless of the fact that these are licensed collectibles commonly being traded on the secondary collectibles market. IMHO it amounts to the fact that the WWE wants NO competition for selling WWE memorabilia. Unfortunately for my friend it is useless to try to fight the WWE's attorneys...

So check eBay's TOS/AUP very carefully and be aware of any potential licensing conflicts bearing in mind that just because the item can be sold elsewhere doesn't mean it will be allowed on eBay.

Stanley,

But you still can link to a "product page" right? For example, if I was auctioning off Dell laptops as an affiliate of Dell, I could link to their product description page for the item being auctioned, yes?

Also, what happens if there is no "BUY" button on the linked web page, but there are links on the linked web page that lead to other pages that do have order processing capability? If there is no overt "BUY" or "ORDER" message in those off-page links (that lead to the "BUY" pages), is that legit?

I'm surprised at this point there aren't "certified E-bay consultant's" popping up all over the place, yeesh.

thx

hmmm selling on ebay lets se if i can help. the first thing is dont open a store they get 1/8th of the traffic a regular auction gets since they dont show up in ebay search feature.(been there done that)

as for the amazon ship idea that wont work either because what if the item doesnt work when it gets to the seller and he needs to return it. there is a few other things that come to mind as for reasons it wont work also as i can see shipping time being slow since you would wait for the check to come in mail, wait for it to clear then order off amazon. it just makes the whole process not worth it

vinny

I Learned Half Of What I Know From The Worst Teachers Going - David Lee Roth

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread