Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Well, it's happened again. It seems that frequently when a pointed discussion is underway regarding a hot topic in this industry, the professional (or should I say unprofessional) argument rears it head and the topic at hand is derailed.

So I thought that we could have a thread to hash out all the points of professionalism, whether it happens here at ABW or not, and the ramifications. Then whenever that gauntlet is thrown into a discussion, this thread can be linked to and the real issues at hand can continue without distraction.

My opinions on the matter:

First I will say that being offended by something that someone does or says does not necessarily equate to being that person being unprofessional. However, the two words seemed to be used interchangeably on the boards at times.

Some things I consider unprofessional (related to business interactions on this board):
    1. Dishonesty, intentionally misleading others for your own gain, untruths, half truths
    2. Accusing someone of wrong doing based on hearsay or no factual information. You should know your facts before accusing someone.
    3. Insults grounded in prejudices. Personal insults just for the sake of personal insults.
    4. Just because something is said "nicely" and "politely" does not necessarily make it professional. Derogatory statements can be made under the guise of politeness, but it's still derogatory and if done as solely a personal attack then is unprofessional.

Things I don't consider unprofessional:
    1. The truth. It may not be pleasant at times and some may not like the truth because it effects them adversely, but stating the truth is not unprofessional.
    2. Not sugar coating what you are saying. As long as one of the items above isn't involved. In fact sugar coating could be considered unprofessional if it is being used to deceive others.
    3. The truth. Bears repeating.

What we are offended by will always vary from person to person. Because what we are offended by is defined by each of our own life experience, moral fiber, and cultural backgrounds. But again, just because we are offended by something does not make it unprofessional.

Now as far as professionalism at abw. Yes, I have seen things posted here on the boards I consider unprofessional. I'm not necessarily talking about cursing in posts either, but things that would fall into my list as above (though I'm sure many will disagree with my lists). However, at times those posts actually have great value. True colors being shown so to speak..... As far as the cursing goes, for me at least it's more of matter of the context the cursing is used in. Anyone who thinks cursing is not a part of everyday life and a means of expressing the depth of feelings is not taking a realistic view. Blatant cursing (without at least using one * in

Are the posts and the language used at times that a few call unprofessional a real threat and detriment to these boards? All I can say is look at the growth of this board, the number of merchant forums, number of posts, number of members, etc. Show me any other place of affiliate marketing that is as active and has as much useful information. I'd have to say no. That actually the no bars hold, no nonsense approach at ABW is in fact one of the primary reasons for it's success.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Curt Said:
    "If you want to be known as trash island, so be it. You'll not be taken seriously."

Curt sounds well traveled, and is in a position to let us all know where ABW "ranks" in the scheme of things. I would love for him to elaborate on his comments, both express and implied concerning how we are a "special place" with members that can't be taken seriously.

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

i am oh so tired with everyone talking about being or not being professional (on ALL the boards)

lest i remind you that streetwalkers are considered to be "professionals" so i dont care whether someone regards me as a professional or not. considering....

but i did check out the dictionary definition of it and it says:

One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation.

well, that leaves out most people at most forum boards ive been to as most of them arent exactly earning a living, maybe a few bucks, but not a living.

"Trash Island" .... because we expose the trash in the industry and we are like an island because all are protected from the horsehockey, sunshine and loilipops malarkey of the other boards!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

@H

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Well said B & H

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Hey we have a brand new Hoover Vac to clean up this trash around here in trash island!
    I'll clean it for $3.99 a min. + tax!

Well said amigo's and amigas!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> lest i remind you that streetwalkers are considered to be "professionals" so i dont care whether someone regards me as a professional or not. considering....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey at least these SW pro gives and not just take your money and run! lol...

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):
    no bars hold<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The phrase comes from the early days of professional wrestling.. "No holds barred."

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Everyone doesn't have to be professional and it's not that easy. Sometimes it means to hold your emotions, which most of us fail to do especially against parasites, rightly so. After all, what we do gives us the freedom to not to be limited by the bounds of considered to be professionalism.

REGARDLESS, I always find your posts VERY PROFESSIONAL in all aspects, whatever you say, Miss BLFH!

I believe some people misuse the word "professional." My take on their reference to this term is treating others in a respectful, ethical, businesslike manner.

And I agree that that is the way things should be done here at ABW as well as on other Forums. However, I'm not sure how far that attitude should be extended to someone who does not respect my rights to operate on the Internet.

How respectful and ethical is it take advantage of consumers by bundling applications in software downloads that they don't know they're getting?

How respectful and ethical is it to download this software without their permission or knowledge?

How respectful and ethical is it to depend on other sites' traffic for your income?

Respect is something that is earned. It is not necessarily a right. I value the people who visit my site enough to not throw pop ups at them, and I certainly expect others to respect my right to make some money off of my sites.

That isn't necessarily happening today, and until it does happen, I might just treat others the same way they treat me.

What goes around, comes around...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    >malarkey of the other boards!

It is sad.

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

My definition of professional behavior means acting as if I'm speaking to the president of my company, no matter who I am talking to. I have a responsibility to tell him what's going on in no uncertain terms, but I do not have the right to be disrespectful - just as he does not have the right to be disrespectful to me. I have no idea what he'd do if I cursed while speaking to him - but I'll never find out, either, because I choose to err on the side of caution. As far as posting on these boards, I try not to write or say anything that I wouldn't want the rest of my company to read...when possible.

But that is my personal communication style. Everyone is different.

-patrice

ABW Ambassador
    said to be professional or to be unprofessional can support or kill a persons reputation. The question ist who determines what or who is professional. Of course "Dishonesty,Accusing someone, insulting s.o,derogatory are things I, and I hope everybody, hate. These things are done by persons who can be shure not to be found. This board if as far as possible anonymous, but what if all users are personally known? Do you believe that they would lie, insult, tell half truth etc.?
    To act truthfully is self-evident for me, and sometimes it could be considered as unprofessional, lol.

carneol

This type of thing is something that I do consider unprofessional. Guess it does help to explain some of the reasoning behind the posts in the Aluria thread here. In case it wasn't obvious enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Curt said at iafma on 8/5 3am in response to Jamie's post regarding the update of their software about the posts here:

Jamie, is this the major release version you spoke of about 2 days ago? or is there another major update ready for release.

Jamie, you are not the only one getting grilled to the max. I had one person call me a piece of ***t and then had the audacity to say I was being abusive when he was far more abusive than I ever was (in a PM message to me after I tried to be cordial--I thought I was being cordial anyway). They have no respect for anyone's feelings and think that others should just happily accept having garbage thrown into their face.

IMO, they must be a bunch of teenagers just spouting off insanity and trying to show themselves to be tough guys/gals. At least true professionals know how to have real respect for others. We can get angry without all the name calling, profanity and personal digs. 2 people over there really showed their true colors just now.

Herby, I wonder, were you dealing with similar PMs from such people with such remarks and abuses (just curious)... yeah i know it's getting off topic. I'm a bit ticked off from them right now and would appreciate the room to breath a little.

Good job Jamie and Aluria, keep up the good work. Make us proud so we can say “in your face”

---
    Is c r a p considered a no-no word?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess professionalism is in the eye of the beholder.

Period!

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Well after i cussed with "WTF" for questioning why curt chose to believe jamie over actually upgrading the software and seeing for himself, (that still puzzles me beyond my abilities).

He chose to call me a low-life in a pm, but I guess that was professional. When I continued to question his relationship with Aluria (which he would never actually come out and state, but hint around),he heaped on the profanity and said I sucked. But I guess he said it in a professional way?

I invite everyone to read the Aluria thread and watch Curt jump around like a chicken with his head cut off - making no sense, not being consistent, not answering questions, and pretending not to see people answering his questions . All of which is professional I guess?

But good to see Herby is there to help.

Maybe I should write herby and ask - "I am selling a product but not delivering any of the items that come with it, how should I handle the emails asking where there stuff is?" Herby must be a professional in knowing how to handle that situation by now.

Chet

Makes one wonder if Curt's "trip" over here to ABW was some sort of experiment. Unfortunately, it sounds like his preconceptions got in the way...

Fred___________

You might just be a redneck if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

An affiliate "friendly" scanner and cleaner (not affecting cookies) is being built and will redirect back to the originating affiliate site so that affiliates can make a "Clean Sale" ... this will be a FREE service offered by ABW.

Let Jamie, Curt and Herby enjoy that!

</font></p>

This is TOO funny! This teenager is 59 years old! He should learn to listen to his elders, LOL!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Professionalism:

I can say "You will face legal action" or I can say "I'm going to sue your b@lls from here to China!!"--which I'd use would depend on the guy on the other side. If I think he/she'll listen to less heated words, I'll use them. If not, or if they flame me, I'll turn up the heat.

I *prefer* to refrain from cussing, but I'm not afraid to use it if I think that type of weapon is in order. Sometimes it works best to use an argument of iron logic instead of yelling--to simply point out (without cussing or insults) the inconsistencies in the BS as long as that BS is being thrown.

And sometimes it's better to use more basic terms--especially when they're just not "hearing" the more "professional" format!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> An affiliate "friendly" scanner and cleaner (not affecting cookies) is being built and will redirect back to the originating affiliate site so that affiliates can make a "Clean Sale" ... this will be a FREE service offered by ABW.

Let Jamie, Curt and Herby enjoy that!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS I like! Very proactive, Haiko. Go get 'em, by golly!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread