Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    4 questions
    I'd sincerely appreciate as many responses as possible. It will give me some needed information for a new program we are working on, so thanks in advance for (as Jerry McGuire said) helping me help you!

Question 1. Roughly how many merchant programs are you presently signed up for? I'm not looking for exact numbers and please no specific program details, just a rough estimate of the total.

Question 2. Of the programs you're signed on to, what percentage of these programs are you actively promoting?

Question 3. Does a $5 or $10 CAB actually have any effect on your decision to activate a particular program or do you view it as a non factor?

Question 4. When you sign up for a program, assuming that the merchant has good products / services for which you have applicable traffic, acceptable cookie life and pays a good commission etc, how soon do you actually start promoting it?

Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; April 6th, 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: You show some respect
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    As misleading as your thread title is, here are the responses

Q1 - Zero
    Q2 - Zero
    Q3 - Yes, 100% of my income is CABs which is also ZERO
    Q4 - Never

[quote removed. it no longer applies]

(1) 3, Just starting in AM
    (2) 100%
    (3) Don't know what a CAB is(??)
    (4) Within a few days.
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; April 6th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.

X

ABW Ambassador
    Q1 - 51
    Q2 - 88%
    Q3 - Sometimes - I might decide to join a merchant I'm already interested in sooner than expected if a CAB is involved.
    Q4 - Usually immediately after sign up, sometimes it may take me longer if I sign up with a merchant I have plans for on a new and upcoming project (new website idea).

I think CAB stand for (Cash Affiliate Bonus).

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    1. c. 250
    2. Active, large-scale promotion - 35-40%, some promotion - 35-40%, little or none - 20-25%
    3. Little effect. What would influence to me get links up quickly is an initial higher commissin rate, especially if it includes an offer to keep the higher rate permanently if threshholds are met.
    4. Depends - If I see a new merchant I like for whatever reason, I may join with no plan or specific place to put their links, and not do anything with them for months. If I seek out a merchant for certain products, or find a new merchant with such products, then generally their links are added immediately.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Before I answer I have to ask if you are writing a book

No book NYF if and when I write a book it will most likely be an adventure novel or collection of short stories based on good old personal experiences.

Aff Hound, MsLady, Boomers -thank you for your responses. BTW gang, the original "respect" title of this thread was nothing more than a humorous jab, as was my last post in the original thread in which I poked fun at my buddy M Coley and Aretha Franklin. They were both "chill pill" offerings. If anyone took that post seriously, you misread the intent. I'm sure Michael knew that, as did those who know me and my way of redirecting negative flow into positive.

Expanding on the initial replies here, affhound made an interesting comment re: paying an initial higher commission as an activation incentive. Others who have comments like this, or agree with the comment feel free to expand on it. Keep the replies coming please, every one of them lends input that will help me design an attractive package for affiliates when the program is ready to launch, which will be done through the customary paid announcement.

Thank you for the focus group-like replies, and keep them coming!

Boom, CAB = cash activation bonus.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Ok Alan - just had to check first

300 programs
    10%
    non factor
    3 days

Question 1. 50 (+/-)

Question 2. 15 (+/-) Of those, 3 produce 80% of my income.

Question 3. A $5 or $10 CAB is a pint or two of Guinness. So, totally a non-factor. *

Question 4. Usually right away. This month, however, everything will wait until after the 15th.

* I'd rather have you buy me a pint next time we meet.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Cool
    1. 400-500 but thinning

2. 70% (only a small percentage are waiting first links tho.)

3. not a factor: won't ask for the CAB if I doubt if putting up pages or links will have immediate sales

4. the merchant has to immediately approve me first, otherwise I'll be working on another merchant's project. make me wait a few weeks and I may never get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    * I'd rather have you buy me a pint next time we meet.
    Done deal amigo! But I'll make mine the RB&V...

Please keep the input coming - we WANT it and we WILL use the input to benefit affiliates. :-)

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I'd sincerely appreciate as many responses as possible. It will give me some needed information for a new program we are working on, so thanks in advance for (as Jerry McGuire said) helping me help you!
    I'm not too sure if it's the same movie, but I think he also said: "Show Me The Money"
    Question 1. Roughly how many merchant programs are you presently signed up for? I'm not looking for exact numbers and please no specific program details, just a rough estimate of the total.
    Answer 1. Worldwide? Well, I think the number would be approximately less than 200.
    Question 2. Of the programs you're signed on to, what percentage of these programs are you actively promoting?
    Answer 2. Actively currently, I would guess less than 100.
    Question 3. Does a $5 or $10 CAB actually have any effect on your decision to activate a particular program or do you view it as a non factor?
    Answer 3. On this one I have to say thay it depends on a few factors, like:
    3a - I would not join any program, just for the *JAB (I just invented that one, so no one use it without giving me proper credits. )

3b - While the offering of a *CAB may be of a tempting amount, I would not go for it, unless I am really interested in promoting that program one day, with or without any *JAB offering.

3c - Also, while any *JAB offering amount may not be of a top priority for me to join a merchant, I would admit that there have been some instances on the past, on where I have jumped on that *JAB immediately, just in order to get that *JAB and be able to meet the minimum montly payment for that month. But, and this is the BIG BUT, when I have done that, it was because it also was a merchant on my things to-do later list, so I just move them on my do-it-now list, and really make at least one page for that merchant before I do someone else page.
    Question 4. When you sign up for a program, assuming that the merchant has good products / services for which you have applicable traffic, acceptable cookie life and pays a good commission etc, how soon do you actually start promoting it?
    Answer 4. This one can be as complicated as hell, because usually when I join a program, it's because I have some interest in promoting that program as soon as I can, but many times you can only see what you're getting into after you have already joined and not before.

4a - Not until after you have joined that program, you might not discover that their datafeed sucks, so you may not start to promote that program until you have plenty of time to mess with their datafeed, and that can be a long time before you get back to that program.

4b - Not until after you have joined that program, you might not discover that they are on more than one network, and that there is some real problems when it comes to who's cookie counts, so who knows when you would feel like taking a risk on promoting that progam again (If you already have received a few reversals with the stupid reason of {duplicate sale}, because they say that they already have paid someone else on the other network.) That one comes from my own experience.

----------------

Notes:

*CAB = Cash Activation Bonus (Invented by Andy Rodrigues)

*JAB = Join Activation Bonus (Just invented by Me!)

GOYt&GGCB (just invented by me!)

Thanks Sal, I appreciate the time and thought you put into your feedback. Please keep the input and comments coming boys and girls! We deeply appreciate it.

* Get Off Yer Tush & Get Going Cash Bonus

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    500 - too many :-)

about 50 to 75

Question 3. Does a $5 or $10 CAB actually have any effect on your decision to activate a particular program or do you view it as a non factor?[/QUOTE]

It's nice if I plan on promoting the merchant ASAP otherwise, not a big factor. It might get a link or 2 up faster. :-)

Could be the same hour, day or takelonger, depending n plans for the merchant. If they already fit into a page or section on my site, usully right away.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

1. Somewhere between 500 and 1000.
    2. 25-50% (about 250).
    3. It's a factor, but a CAB only goes so far. It still has to be a good merchant with a good program that meets the specific needs I'm looking to fill for some site.
    4. Anywhere from minutes to years. If I have everything I need and some big motivation for speed (whether it's a big activation bonus, a contest, or a really good consumer promotion), it can be within minutes. If it's for a site that I haven't built yet, it might be years no matter what the merchant does.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    If it's for a site that I haven't built yet, it might be years no matter what the merchant does.
    Years? - 2012?

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ABW Ambassador
    Question 1. 2000+

Question 2. 1000+

Question 3. Absolutely none whatsoever.

Question 4. Depends on the merchant and a few factors. If they're what I suspect will be a great one, will get them up pretty quickly, others go into a Que and will get to them eventually. I have 2 folders in my email account. Merchants With Coupons (get preference) and then just Merchants. And there are days where I do nothing but put new merchants up.

Rex, MC, Trust - thank you for taking time to respond and shed a little light on your thought processes. Very helpful & I really appreciate your input.

Keep the feedback coming affiliate friends - we're all ears!

Alan

1) ~260 programs
    2) Sending traffic to about 40% of them
    3) I've never paid attention to CAB's
    4) It could take years for me to get active. They will be on my comparison engine within a day, but for heavy traffic I've got to start promoting their particular product area. So years of inactivity then, bam! traffic and sales. Working part-time, I seem to try about 8-10 product niches a year. So 30 down, 3,000 more to go...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Thank you B's & G's! Very helpful replies thus far - let's add a 5th question... Hypothetically, let's say that a merchant introduces a new affiliate program and it pays a base rate of 12%... Assuming it is a product / service that fits your vertical(s) or one that you see as having solid potential...

Which would be more of an incentive / influence to activate on a priority basis?

1.) a $50 bonus for 5 sales
    2.) a contest giving (say) $100.00 cash bonus for top producer during the first month.
    3.) a sharp increase in the commission for the first month (for example, instead of the regular 12% - a commish of 22% on all sales the first month)
    4.) other - explain

OK, I just finished my morning Red Bull and my mind is beginning to work, so while we are on the topic of incentives, let's add an incentive to this project with a little contest: In two weeks, (April 21st) we will select a contributor to receive $50 cash in exchange for helping us out here with your answers to these questions! So keep the feedback / comments / suggestions coming my friends! We truly appreciate it.

Hey Alan, here are my guesstimates:

#1. Probably about 70 or 80.

#2. Actively promoting 90%.

#3. CABs usually don't motivate me unless they're a lot more substantial than $5 or $10. They're nice, but I'm typically looking at my long term earnings potential when I set my priorities.

#4. Usually immediately, unless as someone else mentioned I run into something unexpected like a 5,000 item data feed with no categories in which case it just dropped down the priority list.

#5. A permanent increase in commission (not necessarily as high as your example) solely because I'm an ABW member or because I'm a nice guy. Your choice.

Hope this helps.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

1. About 350
    2. About 70%
    3. I've taken advantage of some CABs but they're not really a driving factor.
    4. Can be immediate or take a while or take quite a while. I tend to work on merchants that are proactively managed first.
    5. Other: a permanent increase in commission will get me going faster than anything else.

To answer the original 4 questions ...

1. About 400 programs

2. Due to popshops, I would have virtually all merchants on my main site.
    But, I would say that I have a selection that I actually specially promote of 10 programs ... the number and the programs vary depending on many things.

3. A CAB doesn't tend to hold much interest for me. If it is a merchant that interests me and could head into my top selection, then OK ... otherwise I'm not going to bother for $5 ... wouldn't even buy me a pint of cider

4. How soon? If I find it in popshops, then immediately. If it is something that I want to specially promote, then that depends on my to do list ... some get done immediately, but others have been waiting for some time while I wait for inspiration to strike on how to work with them.

Now for that last question ...

I prefer the idea of $$$ for x number of sales. Then I'm competing against myself as opposed to wondering whether some of the "super affiliates" are promoting it A special percentage for the first month doesn't really interest me either. Unless I'm doing PPC, either DTM or to my own site, then a month isn't really long enough to get a new merchant up and running properly.

But, as I said earlier, CABs in general aren't something I take into account when choosing a new merchant. I'm always happy to see them appear in my account total but I'm not going to choose a merchant just because he offers them.

Just to add ... a special ABW percentage tends to get me more interested than a normal CAB. Even if it's just a couple of percent it still gives me much more reason to promote that merchant.

Sue.

5. A permanent increase in commissions. None of the ones you mentioned would be much motivation for me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OK - here's my attempt to make a choice and then "explain" that choice.

I would much prefer the incentive behind Door #1. A specified "sizable" bonus after a required, but reasonable number of sales is a lot more appealing to me than a $5 or $10 CAB (or JAB, or GOYAAPSLUB*).

Rationale...

#2 does not work for me. The $100 for top producer is not attainable because I do not do PPC and I have relatively small sites (other than in the travel vertical). I realize up front, that I have no chance of "winning" that bonus, and will take a pass for now.

#3 is too short-term to attract my attention. It is good for you (the merchant) because it may/should/will provide incentive to get the ball rolling. But, again, this is great for PPC affs or those with BIG sites. It means very little to me, because even if I "activate" within an hour of signing up, It probably would not matter much - if I only make a couple of sales during the first month.

I prefer to build my business as the tortoise runs a race against a hare. A $5 spiff to put up a link today is less valuable than that $50 "first turn" bonus that may take two, three or more months to reach. But I would know it is there, and could visualize a "dinner out" as opposed to only one pour of Guinness (or RB&V).

In working a MBO (Management By Objective) track, one must remember that the objectives need to be "attainable" to get the individual being managed to buy into the scheme of things. So, as the merchant, you need to decide which affiliate to target; then tailor your incentives to be attractive to those individuals.

With all of that said...what really matters is the program itself. Is it something I think will compliment what it is that I do? Are the overall terms to my liking? Can I be passionate about the product or service? If I think I can earn some sweet commissions, I WILL get on it; otherwise I MAY or MAY NOT get on it at all. In the overall scheme of things the initial incentives would matter very little.

* Get Off Your * And Put Some Links Up Bonus
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast