Microsoft Windows DCOM RPC Interface Buffer Overrun Vulnerability

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...tent/8205.html

Just got enfected with this I installed the patch. Does anyone know how to do the following in windows xp, home edition.

Block external access at the network boundary, unless service is required by external parties.
    Hosts that can send malicious traffic to TCP port 135 can exploit this issue. External access to this port should be filtered at network perimeters. Permit access for trusted or internal hosts and networks only.

what else can i do?

Get a decent firewall like ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs and this will handle it for you. Basically, you shouldn't have ANY ports showing to the outside world, and this will make it fairly easy.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with moo. Get a good firewall. If you have Broadband and/or multiple computers on the network, invest in a cheap hardware firewall. It will alieve your headaches of port sniffing and access issues.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    Zone Alarm is great - and it's free to boot. I never used it when I had dialup, but soon as I got DSL, noticed all sorts of strange things occuring and variuos things trying to access my computer. Zone Alarm shut it all down cold, including that irritating "network sniffing" traffic.

Jim

okay everyone got zone alarm, and Norton Antivirus.. Zone alarms cool.. Does anyone know how to update Zone alarm so it doesn't effect my Outlook Express.. Can't check my email now :0(.

Update: Figured it out.! I like this!

geez already have blocked hundreds of things trying to get on my computer.. Nice to have this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    geez already have blocked hundreds of things trying to get on my computer.. Nice to have this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, but the question is how many of those "things" are like affiliate cookies in anti-spyware/adware/parasiteware(tm) software ...

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

ABW Ambassador
    Zone Alarm, unless you set the settings super high, won't block cookies. It's in my opinion the best anti-spyware program around - at least once you get your computer cleared up.

No jimh009, I didn't mean it like ZA is blocking cookies, I was tring to say that most of those "blocked things" are *probably* there for the same reason as anti-spyware software is blocking cookies - to increase the number of blocked things and make the users think "wow, this ZA saved my a**, blocked XXXX things!"

I also use ZA but just thought about commenting on the blocked number...

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread