Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Livechat and Affiliate Commissions
    Does LiveChat overwrite affiliate commissions?

The reason I'm putting this in AvantLink is because I'm looking at some AvantLink merchants and I don't know if it's a network thing/a merchant thing/ or a general practice.

I haven't fully researched the LiveChat issue but I remember reading something about LiveChat being bad for affiliates.

Thanks

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I think it depends on the merchant and how they've integrated with LiveChat, but I'm not exactly sure of the specifics.

There must be a way to protect Affiliate cookies....as I just IMd with Brian Boyd from Backcountry.com. Their integration of LiveChat does not overwrite any Affiliate cookies...

Edit: Just did a search on ABW for "livechat" and there seems to be a lot of discussions on it..

Technically speaking, it doesn't seem possible - unless the livechat company is using some unscrupulous method of cross-site cooking. The cookie for a particular domain can only be set and read by that domain - again, barring that the visitor's web browser hasn't been compromised by any vulnerability.

Not only is it possible, it's widespread. All the Live Chat needs to do is redirect the browser through an affiliate link, which many of them do automatically.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    It's not a software problem or how it is integrated with the site. Some merchant have live chat operators paid on commissions and these operators will either overwite the cookie with special links, will use special coupons to null the affiliate commission or will take the order offline. During a while Live Person had a service doing just that.

That is very sneaky and I would consider that to be 'unscrupulous'. The company that is hiring this ASP is not agreeing for such action, and would not signup with them if it were a known practice. There are plenty of Live Chat providers out there - perhaps we should start a naughty-nice list.

There's 2 merchants I'm interested in promoting on Avantlink but they have Livechat and a toll free number at the top.

On one hand I want to think that it should be ok since Avantlink has a good reputation; on the other hand I'm not naive and I fully support the C.Y.A. movement.

Now I am really curious.

After reading this thread from 2005 I really want to know if any Avantlink merchants with Live Chat practice taking away affiliate commissions.

Is this an answerable question?

Feel free to email me (or support/at/avantlink.com) and we can try and help answer your questions about specific merchants.

Or if you're already active in our network you can email the merchants directly. You can find merchant contact info on their internal detail pages - just click on "Merchants" from the main menu.

Gary M

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    this topic caught my attention as we are about to implement a 3rd party live chat service for our merchant site.
    I read the posted link above but maybe i missed the point, because i can't comprehend how they would be able to take affiliate commsions if we don't have them as an affiliate.
    I think instituting a live chat would only benifit affiliates as my customer service people will do everything they can to save and upsell a sale as we will not be using the chat services people.

wouldn't this be good thing?

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBookMan
    wouldn't this be good thing?
    only if the merchant allows online orders only, I think.

and now that it has been brought up, why not let us know (even if we are not now affiliates) which merchants in Avantlink could cost us commissions if we were?

I'm still not an affiliate but this would help me decide whether or not to apply.

15 years and counting
    IanBookMan - I read the posted link above but maybe i missed the point, because i can't comprehend how they would be able to take affiliate commsions if we don't have them as an affiliate.
    It depends of the way the cart is set up and their agreement with the merchant. The easiest way to take affiliate commissions is to be an other affiliate. But, if the merchant don't want to pay twice a commission to both an affiliate and an operator, he can set the cart to by-pass the affiliate pixel and to pay only the live chat operator. In that case you don't overwrite the cookie, you just don't pay the commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ

and now that it has been brought up, why not let us know (even if we are not now affiliates) which merchants in Avantlink could cost us commissions if we were?

I'm still not an affiliate but this would help me decide whether or not to apply.
    That's why I asked on this forum instead of sending an email asking if the two baby gifts merchants with Live Chat practiced that.

I'm not trying to upset anyone but I think people have a right to know in advanced, not just me. Might as well get it out there so people can make informed choices.

That's why I asked on this forum instead of sending an email asking if the two baby gifts merchants with Live Chat practiced that.
    I'm sorry it took a bit to get back to this thread, but we wanted to gather some information first.

We went ahead and tested the livechat integrations for both TooCuteBabyGifts.com, and CornerStorkBabyGifts.com (the other baby gift merchant we have - BabySupermarket.com - does not use livechat). The two baby gift stores we tested (they are owned by the same company) do have Affiliate-friendly livechat.

As far as the rest of the merchants in AvantLink, we have not yet made it part of the screening process to evaluate their livechat integrations before launch, so at this time we simply do not know. We can work on finding out, but that is going to take some time.

Moving forward, we've decided to investigate prior to launching whether or not the merchants who use livechat are preserving Affiliate tracking through those interactive sessions.

Thanks for your questions and concerns. We can understand why it would be helpful to know this information before committing to a partnership.

Gary M

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink

Moving forward, we've decided to investigate prior to launching whether or not the merchants who use livechat are preserving Affiliate tracking through those interactive sessions.

Gary M

Thanks Gary!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lightbulb
    and thank you . . .

Apparently live chat-type applications have many switches and have settings that can be changed at will. Perhaps an addition to the merchant TOS to keep them affiliate-friendly?

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    ......Moving forward, we've decided to investigate prior to launching whether or not the merchants who use livechat are preserving Affiliate tracking through those interactive sessions.

Thanks for your questions and concerns. We can understand why it would be helpful to know this information before committing to a partnership.......
    Just one more example that shows why AvantLink is a First Class operation.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thank you for testing Gary.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Just one more example that shows why AvantLink is a First Class operation.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

You're welcome ProWebAddict..

If you want to apply and get going with those stores, drop me a line and I'll help expedite you through the application process. same for you, Herb

Does Avantlink offer phone tracking for their merchants? And would it be possible to designate merchants as Avantlink Exclusives - or not? I saw one I wanted to promote,. but they were promoting other sites from that one.

2busy,

We do offer a solution for outputting the Affiliate ID, but it's up to the merchant to implement it and train their customer service people to ask for it.

As far as designating merchants as exclusives, I wrote a blog article over a year ago about our exclusive merchants. Perhaps it's time for an updated article...as there are now many more!

Gary M

Thank you Gary, I thought I had read something somewhere but couldn't find the information. As so many have said here, Avantlink is a first class network and they respond without leaving you waiting and wondering whether it is tech service or just answering questions.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread