Avertising Question
    I'm not sure how many of you may or may not have seen a website being advertised on a car. If you have you'll know what I a referring to. If not it works like this. You'll be driving down the road and on the back window of a car or SUV will see a web address and maybe a one line blurb.

Ex. http://www . cleaningservice . com
    Free Estimates

It is basically a for of free advertisement. I travel about 45 minutes every morning in stop and go traffic. I am not sure how well it works but I was considering doing it to advertise a project I am working on.

Has anyone else but me seen this for of advertisement? If so did you visit the site you saw?
    Has anyone ever tried advertising in this format?
    Thanks,
    Doug

it could work but you should think about adding something like

Ex. http://www . cleaningservice . com / car1

then you can actually track how well it is working...
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]www.morevisibility.com[/URL]

... better than the /car1 is actually coming up with new URLs ... kinda like cleaning99 . com or 29clean.com it's still memorable and definitely trackable.

To answer your Qs, yes I've seen it and yes I visit them - almost every time.

Bumper stickers on street lamps work wonders also
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    ... Bumper stickers on street lamps work wonders also

I though about that too but I was curious as to the legality.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Funny, I always assumed the driver had some affiliation.. interesting... (or are you thinking of advertising on your own car?)

Of course, I'm now self-employed & don't drive to work anymore, so what do I know

But to answer your question, if I'm interested, I will visit the site..

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsupportnotes
    I though about that too but I was curious as to the legality.
    In most places it is illegal.........called littering or defaceing public property.
    Also there are laws governing the placement of signs

But GO for it.........other people do it all the time and get away with it......

But YES......Any method that you can use to get your message noticed is a good method.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Yes I was thinking of advertising my affiliate site. 6 mo one site then may be switch to a different site.
    Thanks,
    Doug

If my demographic was actually my own city, I would definitely have my main affiliate site mentioned on the car!

Quote Originally Posted by itsupportnotes
    I'm not sure how many of you may or may not have seen a website being advertised on a car. If you have you'll know what I a referring to.......Has anyone ever tried advertising in this format?
    Yes - been doing it for several years. Being in the travel vertical it seems to attract attention wherever we travel. I often get honks, waves and occasionally questions. Nearly six years ago I did a cross-country drive with our son and had magnetic signs on the side of our Cherokee. We spent a night in Utah - had never been there before and did not recall ever getting a hotel booking from someone in Utah. I had two sales, from people with a Utah address, within the next three weeks, on what was then a relatively new site. Coincidence? Who knows... The next signs I get made (thanks Haiko and gwasserman) will have a unique URL - so I can track appropriately.

Currently I use magnetic signs on my SLK:

And, semi-permanent stick on, vinyl signs on an old Miata - that lives at our second home in Ocean City:

Unfortunately, the Miata has to go (sale or donate) this month because we just bought a new SMART car. I may do a vinyl "static cling" sign for the inside of the back window on that.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I put a sign in the back window of the bimmer years ago that said www.w-tech.com Website Development & Hosting when I was pushing those services. That was before people really new much about the Internet and it generated quite a bit of parking lot comment and conversation. I have no idea how much business it really generated though.

I too check out websites I see posted around the hood or on vehicles.

BTW, I was approached by someone who wanted that domain name a few years ago and sold it for $1450.00. I do believe it went down with the WTC though.

X

My wife has refused to allow it every time I have brought it up. Too bad. :-( I have a really cool logo for my main site too. Although she does wear the t-shirt for it to bed at night but I still would rather have it on the car.

-sfcom

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I see them all of the time but I never remember the URL's afterwards. I use to have a static cling on my back window but that wouldn't work on my new car, neither would having one of those license plate tags.

I also had a magnetic cling on the sides of the car until someone stole one of them. I don't know why someone would do that but I didn't want to drive around with just one side.

There was a company, back in the inet hay day, that were giving free cars to people who traveled in high density areas. The cars would be covered with an advertisement. I think it was freecar - com, but now that site seems to be paying the car owner to place ads on their own cars.

I was at one point thinking of renting out space on my SUV. The 2 side windows and the rear are pretty tinted and are a good size.
    Thanks,
    Doug

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread