ABW Ambassador
    I posted this a couple days ago over at another forum, but have yet to see a response...

I run several forums and a problem I've been running into lately on a couple of them has been keeping the moderators active. While the logs show that they're doin' their jobs, they're not responding to anything timely in the Moderators Only forums.
    One site in particular is going to be going through some major changes and I really need their input. It's starting to get to me that I can see they're reading the posts, but just not responding. As it is, I'm putting myself way behind schedule waiting for their feedback.
    The other site will be getting vBulletin soon & I want to bring on more moderators, and I want to avoid this sort of thing in the future as well as fix it on both forums now.
    What would you do if you were in this situation?
    Thanks!

FreeCallz.com

When in doubt, send them a direct email / PM and ASK them to respond, or help. People like to be asked, it makes them feel wanted.

When the mod posts publicly (in your mod forum), make sure you thank them for there feedback. Just like a monkey, mod's enjoy the occasional bannana.

ABW Ambassador
    hmm...tried that...guess I just have some bad monkeys

FreeCallz.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Remember that not everything is suddenly of compelling interest just because of a person's title.

If I hadn't responded in such a case, the reason would be one of 3 things:

1) Missed the thread/was really reading different thread in forum

2) Don't know the answer/no suggestions

3) Couldn't care less about the subject

And if you PM'd me that's what I'd tell you in the PM. Even major changes (like to the layout or something like that) would probably get something like "do whatever you want with the board" unless you planned something I would MAJORLY dislike or MAJORLY *do* like the sound of!

Edited to clarify a bit.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    true...I guess I have to remember that they're *my* sites...though the last thing I want to be thought of is a dictator... I would like them to consider them *our* sites.

FreeCallz.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

Rereading my post, I need to clarify that by "just because of a person's title," I meant that being a mod doesn't make everything in a Mod Forum interesting!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    I understood...and it makes perfect sense. I chose my moderators based on their knowledge of the industry, not because of their knowledge of running a web site, so a lot of my questions were probably over their heads. Unfortunately, the "major changes" could mean life or death for the site and I'd prefer life

FreeCallz.com

ABW Ambassador
    I started as a moderator with Jim Wilson in 1998 or 1999.
    I didn't always agree with Jim but he did recommend under-moderation.

The concept was to let the community take it where it is going to go and only step in where needed.

Dictating the behavior of your volunteer moderators will drive them away in most cases.

My two centavos

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

I am a moderator at a couple of pretty serious boards as well. Its an immensely fine line you have to walk to do the job well.

New mods tend to be in your face overpowering.
    They also tend to kill threads as their word is taken as written in stone when in fact sometimes the answers are unadulterated hogwash.
    Also they may not want to look like a damn fool or are wary of commenting on your work if you are senior.

What intrigues me is why do you need their input??

"It doesn't do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him!"

Small bribes of sweeties and/or alcoholic beverages work well for me

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squirrel:
    What intrigues me is why do you need their input??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the sites is catered towards an industry that I'm not too familiar with & they're seasoned vets with connections & a ton of knowledge...I simply had the idea and the ability to start up a site on the subject. It will soon be a paid membership site & they won't be charged. I need their input to determine what their needs are & those of others in the industry & of course, what's fair to charge...eventually, I'll be offering them other incentives.
    I should probably add that I don't try & tell them what to do...it's a pretty loose ship, but they've done a lot already. One has put together a spreadsheet of contact info for a few hundred companies & others are going to their contacts & promoting it on other sites, etc. all on their own! I couldn't ask for better moderators, really
    I'm probably just nervous & need someone to give me a little push & like Leader reminded me, I own it, I run it & I just gotta fish or cut bait

FreeCallz.com

[This message was edited by Celicaphile on August 07, 2003 at 12:10 PM.]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread