eBay Editor Kit JS and "Suspicious Website" warning
    A very strange thing happened to me last night. I'm not sure if this was specific to my site only, or if others might also be affected.

I don't often use the eBay Editor Kit because Javascript isn't search-engine friendly. But I have one site where I'm not able to use my other eBay scripts, so the Editor Kit is my only alternative. I don't promote eBay with this site very much, but last night I discovered that a popular product I was promoting was no longer available at the merchant, and I couldn't find a replacement merchant. So I decided to use eBay. I wanted listings to show up, so I generated a javascript link via the Editor Kit at EPN.

I'm a Firefox user, but since this site has a temperamental template, I always check how it looks on Internet Explorer. I recently upgraded my IE to IE7, and it's running with all the standard default settings, including the default security settings. When I pulled this particular page up on IE7, it displayed a "Suspicious Website" warning window, advising me that the page looked like it was a phishing site and to be careful what I did on the site. There was also a link to report the page as a phishing site.

I checked several other pages on my site, and except for the only other page on the site where I was running an eBay Editor Javascript link, none of the other pages triggered the Suspicious Website warning.

I then checked my other sites where I run eBay listings using a variety of php scripts, and they were all fine.

On the page I worked on last night, I also have a couple of javascript links generated by the EPN link generator tool. However, on the other existing page that was also triggering the warning, I only had the javascript from the Editor Kit.

I deleted the Editor Kit javascript from both pages, and the Suspicious Website warnings disappeared, even though I still had the Link Generator javascripts running on the one page. So it looks like my Editor Kit javascript was the cause of the warnings.

As I said, this might have been specific to my site only. I'm not at all familiar with IE7, either. But removing the Editor Kit javascript did stop the phishing site warnings from showing up.

ABW Ambassador
    Not seeing it on my end. Maybe find some other people/sites using it and see if you get the same message.

Everyone I know uses php scripts to work with eBay

So it looks like it might be specific to that particular site. It might also be because of the default security settings on my IE7. Nearly gave me a heart attack last night when the warning first came up!

Yikes!

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread