Is Couponing the only benefit to SaS?
    Are there any non "Deal" or "coupon" affiliates out there?

ABW Ambassador
    Plenty.

What do the non deal/coupon sites look for then in choosing businesses to affiliate with?

I've had probably 50 sites signup but as far as i can tell they're all "deal" "coupon" sites.

I'm going to tier our program and upload a product feed to offer "product" sites a better incentive but i'm all ears as to how to get them to participate or inquire about our program

All I do is product/shopping sites (the ONE that I have) and mostly what I am interested in is datafeeds. Might get into coupons/deals later.

I'd say work on both groups. Both will bring you success.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Getting your products available for the SAS "make a page" feature helps jump start affiliates wanting to showcase products ... not just coupons and deals. POpshops and Goldencan are very popular too for broad displays of products.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Is there a New Program announcement in ABW? That always helps find interested affs if plenty of information is included.

Some affiliates work with just about any merchants: coupon sites, PPC affiliates, datafeed affiliates. Of course you would need coupons, a good EPC, and datafeeds for those sites. Many of these affiliates will find you because they actively scan for new merchants.

Other affiliates only work with specific niches. You can't expect to just put your program out there and have those affiliates flock to your program. You have to track them down and recruit them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Is there a New Program announcement in ABW? That always helps find interested affs if plenty of information is included.
    Already did that

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Some affiliates work with just about any merchants: coupon sites, PPC affiliates, datafeed affiliates. Of course you would need coupons, a good EPC, and datafeeds for those sites. Many of these affiliates will find you because they actively scan for new merchants.

Other affiliates only work with specific niches. You can't expect to just put your program out there and have those affiliates flock to your program. You have to track them down and recruit them.
    Outside of hiring someone with those relationship already in place, is there a method of seeking affiliates such as they seek out merchants?

ABW Ambassador
    Try what Mike said, PopShops, Goldencan. That'll help get your products out there to affiliates and more likely onto their sites.

Outsourced Program Manager
    You could also look into advertising on ShareASale. Click on the "Become a Featured Program" link under Tools to see all the options available.

This has worked very well for me in my recruitment efforts and will give you great visibility to all affiliates within ShareASale.

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    strasburgtech,

Concentrate on making your affiliate program the creme de la creme first and foremost.

How's your cookie duration?
    Commission rate?
    Your site conversion?
    Affiliate tools?

Size up the competition and one up them if you can afford to do so. Be available. Participate here.

If you make the program attractive, quality affiliates will find you. Also, when you do contact potential partners with personalized recruiting communications, you will be able to list the reasons why they should choose to work with you.

Good luck!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Quote Originally Posted by strasburgtech
    I've had probably 50 sites signup but as far as i can tell they're all "deal" "coupon" sites.
    Looks like not all of them... There's already at least one affiliate that's bidding for the keywords "moogr" and "moogr.com" on Google and sending the links through SAS to try to get commissions on those. You might want to consider putting something in your program terms & conditions about PPC bidding on brand keywords, because right now you have nothing forbidding it and consequently you're paying someone that provides virtually no value.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Looks like not all of them... There's already at least one affiliate that's bidding for the keywords "moogr" and "moogr.com" on Google and sending the links through SAS to try to get commissions on those. You might want to consider putting something in your program terms & conditions about PPC bidding on brand keywords, because right now you have nothing forbidding it and consequently you're paying someone that provides virtually no value.
    I updated the PPC rules a while back and just sent out a final notice this morning to all affiliates about bidding on our brand, hope to have that cleared up shortly.

I expect next month when google has the url matching turned on that it will help alleviate these in the future. Just hard to check all search engines for bidding on the brand - especially 2nd tier and lower PPC/niche sites.

thanks for the heads-up though!

What they just said. Plus I just took a look at your program in SaS and it appears that you have absolutely no creatives available, however you do have a couple of discounts and deals available. Which might explain why you are only getting coupon sites interested right now. There are at least a couple of threads that cover the preferred standard banner sizes, you can do a search to find them.

Get some creatives available for the rest of us and a product feed that's available through SaS as well as GoldenCAN and PopShops and you'll start to see more interest. Make another announcement when these are ready and perhaps a contest or bonus program will help get more traction (see Alan's thread here).

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I hadn't uploaded any creatives because it has been all coupon sites. Had 1 inquiry for banners and will get them up as well.

Our program is new, so this week i'll focus on the datafeed and next week i'll have hundreds of banners/creatives to upload.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by strasburgtech
    I expect next month when google has the url matching turned on that it will help alleviate these in the future.
    Do you mean the update to the display URL policy? If so, that won't prevent affiliate links in PPC ads...you'll still have to police it for yourself on Google.

I hadn't uploaded any creatives because it has been all coupon sites. Had 1 inquiry for banners and will get them up as well.
    Many people check to see what creatives are available to work with before signing up, they don't sign up and then try to get custom banners. With what is available you can only hope for PPC/Coupon/Deals sites to sign up. There is not much there that you can kick off anything with if your site is content/product based. You need a datafeed, maybe a "specials" widget or two, if they're kept up to date.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Put up some banners and text links, otherwise you'll look like you're not ready, even to affiliates who don't use either.

Every time you put a deal or coupon in the SAS deals/coupons database, you will get another slew of new coupon affiliates!! So if you don't want lots of couponers, don't upload any (publicly-visible) deals or coupons. Just email your current affs if you want to push a coupon/deal. You'll still get some couponers, but that way you avoid getting so many big waves of new couponer signups.

Outsourced Program Manager
    hi;
    its the age old question, which came first the chicken or the egg;

You have to have a group of banners in various sizes and also text links for the affiliate to choose. Dont wait for them to ask you.

Also you need to go out and find affiliates on ur own, you will not survive only on affiliates that are already in sas.

Offer a first sale, second sale bonus for affiliates to get active, Offer teirs for the affiliates, ie $2,000 in sales in a 30 day period boosts their commissions xx%

Offer SAS affiliates an increase in commissions if they write you.

be active. it takes time and u need to be patient.

Hope this helps
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    First off your going to need to forget about branding in the crowded Computer/home electronics marketplace... especially with a pushing a name like Moogr. Now "Moo ...grrr" could be branded as some kind of Mad Cow disease cure with a very limited audience.

Leverage some banners, images and text links where you know a landing page will get customers involved with your product deals. This is a product deal... http://www.moogr.com/MICROSOFT_WINDO...id-352436.html worthy of a series of banners. Banners of all sizes (Think dual purpose Affiliate + Google Adwords) also need to convey your target audience ... the DIY computer shopper or electronics Geek. Banners/Images for category landing pages are a must have for product affiliates.

SEM/PPC affiliates need Google Adwords sized banners too if they and you are wanting placement & CTR in the content network. Site targeting with banners & video Ads is less costly then adwords text links when your up against out bidding every big budgeted computer/electronics distributor on the face of the earth. (most are too lazy to market Adwords with image/banners)

If need be make a few perminent moogr.com URL landing pages for product category deals and populate them regularily with specials so they aren't stale buying pages. Leverage costly affiliate traffic where you have some product line price advantage with both image and text links.... then pray you get bookmarks.

Heck even tight niche merchants allow affiliates a huge selection image banners and choice of landing pages to up their conversion chances.... www.suspenders.com/banners.htm Give them and Google so many choices they choke a broadband connection loading the sample page if you don't want to hear them whinning...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread