Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The decision remove the datafeed from our arsenal, and other restrictions have prompted me (and I know many others) to look for another affiliate program with similar products to TigerDirect's.

Does anybody have some solid recommendations for a similar program with a datafeed?

I understand your frustrations, but it's maybe best not to discuss alternate merchants to TD in the TD forum!

(Moved to Midnight Cafe)
    ________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    I do not think this is appropriate to post in this forum.

This is still TD's forum for whoever can work under their new conditions.

Chet

mikey9 , I'm sorry you feel that way But I think it was a good move. it's just copying content onto new sites, to me that's worthless. I think affiliates need to be more creative then just a datafeed. That's my opinion of course.

I'm going to replace with a Performics feed.

Tiger's decision made me think - Performics, CJ etc are probably right to restrict access to their feeds to publishers who have already hit a certain sales level.

What I mean is - if publishers have to hit a certain sales level before they get hold of feeds they will (presumably) have a good idea of what they're doing by that point and not doing anything stupid upset the merchants.

Maybe free-for-all access to feeds is just a bad idea.

Thank you Moo!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think affiliates need to be more creative then just a datafeed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because a datafeed is used doesn't mean the affilaite is not creative. I'd challange that most quality websites utilize datafeeds of some sort.

heyder-Just because a datafeed is used doesn't mean the affilaite is not creative. I'd challange that most quality websites utilize datafeeds of some sort.

That's true. but would you say that's fair to those who don't have the resources or $ or knowledge to set up a datafeed, besides it's similar content of other sites. I don't know now..?

There's also the fact the BF and KB use the datafeeds for the product links. From the letter of what the announcement said, it looks like there'd be no product links either.

The bottom line is this.. if I hand stitch a page out of individual product links with a TD image and description, then it's very little different from using the datafeed.

No product links = no sales.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> just copying content onto new sites, to me that's worthless<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's your opinion. It seems that opinion is based on very limited vision regarding feeds.
    Myself, I have done the make a website off the feed with my own style and listing techniques that has generated sales.
    That said, most sales off the site come from the FPCs.
    Why then am I so upset?
    because I have been wasting my time trying to import products from the feed and map categories to existing categorization to provide a comprehensive product search for many different merchants.
    All the time spent doing that for TD is now wasted.
    There is also more to it than that, but that is a big part.
    Also, as I think Heyder put it, we signed up, followed the rules and acted on good faith in building and planning our business around terms agreed to by both Tiger Direct and ourselves.
    Now they say we don't want you to play with our toys anymore.
    I agree that there are reasons behind this move, and they must seem large enough to warrant the obvious reaction that has been generated. My biggest complaint is that once again, we are given the run around and no communication/notice is given.
    It takes time to build trust.
    Andy spent that time and from before my time here has obviously worked and worked and worked to make this program great.
    By the time I arrived on these boards people were already starting to rave about the program.
    In one fell swoop, all that trust, and confidence that was built over such a long time has been destroyed.
    Sure they have a great stance on parasites, cheats, frauds, commissions, cookies, etc.
    That is great and this is not to take anything away from them.
    But they also had a great stance on affiliate tools as well.
    Something that is vitally important to many affiliates and "partners" was the feed. In fact, many affiliates just don't see the losses from parasites, etc. But they see the tools they like or need being yanked out from under them suddenly.
    Many affiliates BECAUSE of the stance on parasites, etc supported Tiger Direct by going out, getting the feeds, making dedicated pages and sites from it and now THEY see everything yanked out from under them.
    I am upset over this, but not so much that I will drop Tiger Direct.
    I will still use FPCs because I know they will convert.
    But I will not "feature" tiger direct on my sites as much. And when I do find a computer merchant that offers decent feeds and a willingness to work with me the affiliate, I will push their products as much as I can.

I have to because of the nature of some of my sites and their need for feeds.

I want to because I don't like having my chain yanked by any person or company regardless of how good their AM is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's true. but would you say that's fair to those who don't have the resources or $ or knowledge to set up a datafeed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FAIR?????
    It's not fair. Of course it's not fair.
    IF YOU DONT HAVE THE RESOURCES OR KNOWLEDGE TO USE A FEED THEN LEARN.
    That's what I did and guess what. It was Tiger Directs Feed that I learned with. I borrowed books from the library, bought some used ones, posted questions on boards like ABW here and read the answers, and lastly, TOOK THE TIME TO DO SOMETHING THAT WOULD BUILD MY BUSINESS.
    No one Gave me a web site that had a fairy in it that automatically made my pages for me.
    No one gave me the knowledge to import feeds in excel, then Access then MSSQL then MySQL in a little blue pill labeled Git Smurt Quik.
    I taught myself how to use the technology... somewhat ... and took the time to learn what I needed to.
    Anyone can, heck I'll even help as much as I can.
    Just to show my love, and to let you know I'm not slamming you,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think affiliates need to be more creative then just a datafeed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I agree with you 100%

Game on!!!! - The DawgFather

ABW Ambassador
    I use datafeeds (a recent addition) However, I do not just blast the datafeed into the world of the search engines.

I think that you need to tidy up most datafeeds anyway. It is not the datafeeds that are the problem here, it is the way that the affiliates use them that can cause problems.

You need product links, and a datafeed is a good way of allowing us to use the product links.

I have used the Mondera datafeed to add to my product pages. I would have used the Tiger feed to do something similar.

I do not want to battle it out with thousands of other datafeed users to get those top positions. I like to do something slightly different to get those top results myself (and I do get number 1's as a result)

People make the mistake of thinking that as soon as you get a datafeed, you will make thousands in commission. If a thousand people use the exact same datafeed in the exact same way, how can any of them really make any money?

Tiger should not have pulled the plug, they should have changed the way that affiliates access and utilise the datafeeds.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    That's true. but would you say that's fair to those who don't have the resources or $ or knowledge to set up a datafeed, besides it's similar content of other sites. I don't know now..? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't take much knowledge to use datafeeds. If you don't know how to use them, then learn.

I purchased webmerge a couple of weeks ago, and I used it to create UNIQUE content. Over the last 3 days, I have made my money back and then some, purely as a result of what I did with a datafeed. I did not create identical pages to those that are already out there, I did something different.

You have to do something different than everyone else does. If you have access to a datafeed with 30,000 products in it, it gives you the freedom to really create unique content in a much quicker way than is possible by creating individual links in Linkshare or the other networks. The products are already there in a spreadsheet, already coded. You can use them to develop unique content.

Of course the products are the same no matter how you use them, but to really succeed, you need to do somthing creative with them, something that someone else hasn't done in that way before. Datafeeds are only a means to an end, it is how you use them that will determine if you fail or succeed

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Back to the basics. Rather then target the SE's with thousands of pages of TD products the affiliate will have to target his own domain shoppers with click enticing computer displays and hope the Google Gods pick up the content.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Popdawg,

Well put.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That's true. but would you say that's fair to those who don't have the resources or $ or knowledge to set up a datafeed <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FAIR?????
    It's not fair. Of course it's not fair.
    IF YOU DONT HAVE THE RESOURCES OR KNOWLEDGE TO USE A FEED THEN LEARN.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Say I want to be a doctor. Don't you think I should go to Medical School and learn how? Or learn how to fix cars if I want to be a mechanic? To tell us that it's not fair if we don't have the knowledge is one of the stupidest things I've ever read at ABW.

You know, I'd really like to be the CEO of a large company, but I just don't have the knowledge to do so. It's just not fair.

Michael

Well, we all know that it will take a long time before a lot of those pages come down. If they fail to pay commissions on sales they generate, they are just plain outright theives.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

geez EmDub, After reading that I feel like a fool anyway Guess TD will lose some affiliates.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Whoa,

Since I don't work with TD, I didn't read all the threads til now. But since I am a strong advocate of datafeeds I have to wonder what the real reason for this was and if other merchants will follow suit. I feel sorry for Andy and all the flack he's getting. Sounds like this is something he is being forced to do by corp.

Linda Buquet ~ Affiliate Management Consultant ~ Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing www.5StarAffiliatePrograms.com: DentalPlans|Irv's Luggage|Executive Essentials|IntellicontactPro|zZounds|Roadloans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AMconsulting:
    But since I am a strong advocate of datafeeds I have to wonder what the real reason for this was and if other merchants will follow suit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe some other merchants will follow, but there will also be new merchants that provide datafeeds. I think datafeeds are a great promotion tool, especially for the newer merchants.

I apologize to all of those of you who use datafeeds, I don't use datafeeds or know how they are used, SO I apologize to anyone if I offended anyone on my posts. I hope some of you will accept my apology. and again I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

No need to appologize Jason.

Look at superstore-electronics.com

This is an SAS merchant 10% commission sure looks better than TD

SAS merchants are all supposed to be parasite free!

Here's another SAS merchant
    computersurplusoutlet.com

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Are you sure that's not Guffy's site? The navigation looks VERY similar

looks good superstore-electronics.com I might have to replace TD if they don't change there commission to 10%.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Look at http://www.superstore-electronics.com/cat_computers.cfm

This is an SAS merchant 10% commission sure looks better than TD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they have a datafeed?

Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast