Question How to find merchants for a particular country.
    I've got a friend who wants to set up a UK affiliate site and is interested in using CJ merchants ... poor child.

Anyway ... how do you search for merchants targetting a specific country? And don't tell me to select it in the advanced search feature as that doesn't seem to have any impact at all ... just brings up a selection of US merchants that don't even ship to the UK. I also tried looking for Swiss merchants and had the same results. Am I missing something obvious? I use CJ rarely so I could just be being a n00b.

Thanks, Sue.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    CJ -> Get Links -> Advertiser List -> Additional Search Options -> Advertiser's Targeted Area

You can then choose United Kingdom for the Targeted Area.

If you join CJ as a uk affiliate you automaticaly get the UK merchants as default.

Click on the flag at the top right corner of cj's homepage to find the uk site and join as an affiliate from that page.

Seymour ... that doesn't work ... already tried it and it brings up US merchants ... as I said in my original post

Donk ... we are both in CJ as US affiliates ... that is our main target and we are looking to try the European markets. We don't want to try to join CJ under a different name for this.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue

Donk ... we are both in CJ as US affiliates ... that is our main target and we are looking to try the European markets. We don't want to try to join CJ under a different name for this.
    You might have to Sue. Would save you a lot of agro in the long run.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I would never recommend doing that before clearing that with CJ. Otherwise, she might look like she has ulterior (i.e., fraudulent) motives. And if she registered as a UK affiliate, she would have to use a UK address and financial info. If you intentionally enter inaccurate info., you'll likely get your account terminated.

You could try changing/adding countries in the "Target Area" in your listed website settings and then search again
    - Sunil

[SIZE=1]The impossibility of today is a hint of what shall be...[/SIZE]

I just tried changing my target area but it made no difference. From reading the help text, my original idea of using the advanced search function seems to be correct ... it just doesn't work as far as I can see. I'll try contacting them and asking about it.

Ah ha!!!!!

On the general categories page there is a drop down at the right hand side where you can specifiy a "Display By" country ... and that actually sort of works. It seems to show merchants that deliver to that country and not actually being in the country but it does help ... I think ... I'm still not sure it is actually set up right.

I think this a narrow minded attitude of the networks/ merchants. Why should you have to live in a paticular country to be able market their products. After all it is the WORLD-WIDE web. With the correct domain name, geotargeting, hosting and SEO you should be able to market just as well anywhere in the world.

If you are marketing to the UK it is better to get a .co.uk domain or host your .com on a UK server. Google assumes a .com hosted in the US is tartgeting the US marketing even if the prices are in GBPounds.

You could allways try a joining a different network. Clixgalore allows you to join merchants from other countries, Buy.at,Linkshare and Affiliatefuture however do not appear to allow me to join US programs only ones based in the UK so it is likely that the reverse will apply to US Affiliates.

I think I managed to extract the info from CJ ... seems there are only 3 or 4 actual merchants that might be termed Swiss ... so not enough to do that much with. The UK list seems rather longer. For European customers, it is very important to know that the merchant is actually sending you the items within the same country ... so you don't end up with a nasty bill for customs charges. The networks don't seem to have grasped that concept.

ABW Ambassador
    due to my experience i would advise of the following

1) check the site first
    2) in case its not clear contact the affiliate manager or the contact on CJ interface
    3) ENSURE that they will honor tracking from affiliate sales made from buyers overseas

i know its stressfull and time consuming but its the only way to make sure your interests are served and deliver a good service to your traffic

from all the affiliate managers and OPMs the most (BARE IN MIND THAT HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE... ;-) )helpful so far was GENO who is very proactive and doesnt hesitate to send you an email right away when asked or even ask the merchant to consider "openning" to such a market... many affiliate managers and OPMs dont even answer the emails

KGP ... you are missing my point. I need merchants within the country that I am marketing to ... otherwise customers will not shop at them. I'm not going to even waste any time attempting to market US merchants to European customers. It just seems there is no easy way to find merchants in a country ... other than manually checking each one.

Sue.

Affiliate Manager
    As a US based CJ merchant I'd be very interested in this answer. I would like to be able to have international affiliates find me and know that we ship all over the world. I'll keep watching this space.... but I don't think CJ has ever asked me where we ship to... only what countries we want affiliates from and that is VERY different because, as you say... a lot of affiliates in other countries are targeting the US. I think you're on to something!
    BTshoes

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue
    KGP ... you are missing my point. I need merchants within the country that I am marketing to ... otherwise customers will not shop at them. I'm not going to even waste any time attempting to market US merchants to European customers. It just seems there is no easy way to find merchants in a country ... other than manually checking each one.

Sue.
    well even for this point of your question the same stuff more or less apply... manually check... in order to be sure about them...

btw there is a huge market of european customers buying from across the atlantic especially the ones who are "euro concerned" who get a great deal due to the differences in exchange... currently 1 euro is approx 1.57 USD ... so it might worth looking at this "spot" as well

I've also been a little perplexed by the results from the 'Get Links' search, however I've found the following:

Regardless of which country you select from the Advertisers Targeted Area list, all advertisers will be displayed in the results.

When you click on the 'View Links' option for a particular advertiser there will only be links displayed if that advertiser sells to that particular country.

One tip - the search filter retains your options even after you have logged off, so if you select, say United Kingdom as your targeted area you will continue to get UK results until you change the targeted area back to 'All'.

You still need to check each and every merchant ... if you do decide to use merchants situated outside of the country you want to market to. I don't use them, but I did notice that some that appeared actually don't deliver outside of the US ... I presume they just filled in a form incorrectly when they set up their program or, maybe, have changed their shipping policy.

I still won't market to a country with merchants from a different country ... it always causes problems ... I've had alot of experience trying to order products myself online within Europe.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread