Piwik - recommended for your own analytics
    If you'd like your own personal version of Google Analytics I can say I have been pretty happy with:

http://piwik.org/

... over the past week. You install it at your own domain using your own database. All of the basic reports/graphs are available.

Major features I like about it:
    - It is on my server
    - I can do one install and have it track as many sites as I want
    - I have it running parallel with Google Analytics and the numbers come pretty close.
    - All reports/numbers are real-time. No Google lag. Even my local server reports only run every 8 hours! So this is the only real-time package I have now.
    - Very AJAXy.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Thanks for the tip, Patrick
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I would never recomend hosting a live analytics software on your site.

I tried it with various similar to pwik, and they have all caused the server to crash especially during high traffic times.

Its fine if its on a seperate server but don't have it on the same server as the site it self.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I would never recomend hosting a live analytics software on your site.
    Why should analytics be different from any other php software?

When you have a constant connection to the MYSQL database open and you bring in 10,000 people with in an 30 minutes to your site.

Chances are it will crash, more because of the live constant connection to the database than the cms software you are using.

This would only happen in the most extreme of situations i.e. a Digg or a /.ing.

I bet for 99% of the people here it would be OK. And even for most ecommerce sites.

If you are getting 10,000 people in 1/2 hour and running one server for you UI, MT and database you are already insane.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Why risk it, over the course of a few weeks that memory useage would build up to the point where your server will just crash. I am all for using a live reporting tool as long as it's not on the same server as your site is.

I have applications that occasionally push the memory limits all the time. My server never 'crashes' because of it. Said application just fails. But it does not bring down the server. Never has... at least in my case.

I guess my take would be best practices like anything else. Put it in, watch it, see if the server/memory behavior changed, back it out if it does.

I have not seen any server degradation the server it has been on but I'll let everybody know if it does start to cause issues.
    ---
    ---

On a high traffic site a failure can be disasterous.

That failure can cause the database to lock up, that lock up can cause data to become corupt. Something I have learned not to risk especially with a database over 5GB in size.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread