Click Here to Reveal Discount Codes Debate
    The April 8, 2008 entry on Kieron Donoghue's blog (http://www.here.org.uk/) has him discussing sites that make the visitor click on tabs to reveal discount codes, thereby giving the ability for the site to drop a cookie.
    After saying in a previous blog entry that he wasn't going to do it, he has decided now to implement the system, giving three reasons as explanation:

"I think that this method will be ethical if I follow my own 3 self imposed guidelines.

1. Only use this method for discount codes. As well as featuring discount codes, my site also displays selected special offers from merchants. I.e. the “Sun Bingo - £5 free offer“. I won’t use a “click here to reveal offer” type of link for these type of promotions.

2. I will only ever display discount codes that exist. Some discount code sites have a “click here for discount codes and site” link for merchants even when there is no discount code available. I have never done this and never will.

3. I will always display the expiry date (if supplied) of the discount code above the “click here for code” link. That way the user can clearly see if the expiry date has been reached for the merchant and then decide if they want to go ahead and click the link anyway. As I mentioned before, I never remove old discount codes.

Hopefully, by abiding by these 3 basic principles I will continue to run an ethical discount code site whilst hopefully managing to increase click through’s and therefore sales by encouraging users to click my affiliate links.

My thoughts are twofold, one - everybody else is doing it so why shouldn’t I? It’s obviously a widely accepted practice for discount code sites to operate in this manner so why miss out? And two, I don’t think I can be accused of forcing a click. If a user comes to my site then they obviously have an interest in discount codes and the retailers they search for so intent is definately there."

Any thoughts from ABW members?

They're expressing an interest in discount codes, but how can you say that they are expressing an interest in the specific discount codes you list before they even see them? I continue to contend that this is a deceptive click.

No other type of affiliate site is allowed to get away with this. Coupon sites shouldn't be given this special "stretch" of the rules.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Kieron Donoghue's post was blatant sarcasm.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I am not so sure.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I'm pretty sure Kieron Donoghue's post was blatant sarcasm.
    It sure doesn't look like it....wait, were you being sarcastic?

He's serious! Wonderful.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I agree with Coley here, hiding the details of the deals / discounts and forcing people to click to "see" them means it will frequently be a deceptive click (because it's impossible for the consumer to have intent if they are completely uninformed).

As an AM trying to keep my program as clean as possible, I can't find affiliates who poach coupon codes because having to click to get the code hides it from the search spiders.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    As an AM trying to keep my program as clean as possible, I can't find affiliates who poach coupon codes because having to click to get the code hides it from the search spiders.
    Hiding the cookie setting proceedure, # of cookies set on these blind offer or on navigational links, make "cookie stuffing" childs play. It's just easier to justify and arrange the cookie stuffing if one is only pushing Trademark/Brand/Merchant Name coupons. Stop offering coupons and most of these problems disappear as your other affiliates pushing product links or merchant product category offerings have their pre-sell spin advertising open for inspection by all....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread