EPN Link Generator Tips…
    Now that eBay has launched their new program and a few days have passed I took the plunge.
    Our commerce site uses a database for storing our inventory and it’s easy to dynamically tailor our eBay affiliate links. Consequently there were only a few changes that were necessary to switch from CJ to the EPN. eBay’s “Link Generator” (formerly the flexible linking tool) is invaluable for composing the base code for those links. Once the base code is created, variables are inserted to retrieve appropriate data from our DB on the fly depending on the particular product being viewed. One variable inserts our catalog ID into the customid field to enable link statistics. Another variable inserts our eBay search terms that we enter into the DB when we add a new product. Here’s where I ran into trouble…

The Symptoms…
    Modified links for store inventory (including auction/fixed price) listings produced an eBay page stating simply; Http/1.1 Internal Server Error
    Modified links for store inventory (excluding auction/fixed price) listings also produced the error; Http/1.1 Internal Server Error
    The strange thing was that the two links above would sometimes work perfectly and other times result in the error pages.
    Our dynamically modified links for auction and fixed price listings work perfectly all the time.

What I discovered…
    If you examine the links generated by the Link Generator take note of the search terms. I finally noticed that they are not configured the same in store searches as they are in auction/fixed price searches. Store search terms are separated by a – (hyphen) and auction/fixed price search terms are separated by a + (plus).

Example…
    Auction search: birkenstock+arizona+sandle
    Store search: birkenstock-arizona-sandle

The Solution…
    I simply added a script that replaces all occurrences of the + with a – in the search term variable before applying it to a store search link. They now work perfectly.

OTHER TIPS

Sample Searches…
    When creating Link Generator links, create your search URL sample as a non-logged in user. I open eBay in an alternate browser (IE) without logging in and perform sample searches. This not only assures that the link is clean but it’s usually shorter than links created when logged in.

Campaign ID…
    I believe this was mentioned in another thread, but I want to include it here also. I was at first confused as to how my Link Generated links were tracked and associated to my account. The answer is that you have to create a campaign in the EPN Campaigns section. A number is assigned to each campaign you create. This number is then entered in the link generator when you create your links and appears in the affiliate link.

If you have some Link Generator tips, please don’t hesitate to post them…

X

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    If you examine the links generated by the Link Generator take note of the search terms. I finally noticed that they are not configured the same in store searches as they are in auction/fixed price searches. Store search terms are separated by a – (hyphen) and auction/fixed price search terms are separated by a + (plus).

Example…
    Auction search: birkenstock+arizona+sandle
    Store search: birkenstock-arizona-sandle

The Solution…
    I simply added a script that replaces all occurrences of the + with a – in the search term variable before applying it to a store search link. They now work perfectly.
    Are you sure? I'm using a + between terms before both auctions and BIN/store items, and they work fine... I'm not using - between items for anything...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

I'm with you PolkdSDA, I've never seen that either. The only time I use the dash is with negative keywords and even then you must use both. For example if you want all widgets except blue and red ones...

widget+-red+-blue

Works for auctions, BIN, store items or whatever.

Don't think of the plus sign as a plus sign. It's actually encoding for a space.

Dashes are ignored (counted as a space) in eBay searches when sandwiched, that's why it works. But it's global, not specific to any type of search.

Yep. I was surprised in what I found too. Here are a couple Ctrl-c clips (truncated) taken directly from the browser address line after completing each type of search...

Auction/Fixed Listing Search...
    http//search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=birkenstock+betula+sandles&sacat=-1%2.....

Store Inventory Search...
    http//search.stores.ebay.com/birkenstock-betula-sandles_W0QQcatrefZC5QQdfspZ32QQfbdZ1...

More complex search with {birkenstock betula (sandles,sandle)}...
    http//search.stores.ebay.com/birkenstock-betula-sandles-sandle_W0QQcatr......QQsatitleZbirkenstockQ20betulaQ20Q28sandlesQ2csandleQ29QQsifZ1Q
    Unlike the first store inventory example above, more complex searches also place the search terms further down the string with hex encoding.

Before I changed the + to - the links were extremely flaky, worked sometimes and didn't other times. After, work flawlessly. Course if we need to use complex searches I'll have to do more tweaking.

X

Forget all the QQ Crap and forget encoding the actual search string after the &satitle=. It's not needed and never has been for urls or rss strings.

I have a page that I need to show 1879 P Morgan dollars only that are NGC graded. Sounds easy, but it could be 1879p, 1879-p, or 1879 p. I've also got to eliminate all the CC, D, O, and S mints from showing. Plus I've got to eliminate all the copies, replicas, tributes and other garbage. Here's exactly how it goes in my rss and url strings...

(1878,1878p)+ngc+-cc+-cars*+-o+-orl*+-s+-san+-d+-denv*+-repl*+-repro*+-copy+-trib*+-tok*+-rem*+-elect*

I build all my search strings on the fly, it's easy. Take the time to learn the variables, 95% of them you don't need. Screw that link generator.

Thanks Bobby. Where are the variables documented?

X

Unfortunately, they're not. I've figured most of them out, let me put a list together and I'll get it up in the next few days.

That'd be useful. Thanks...

X

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread