Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Do Linkshare Merchants Have To Pay Their Bills?
    I'm really curious as to if merchants on Linkshare have due dates on their invoices.

    I logged in to see what's been up with some delays and I found that some merchants haven't made a payment since early February.

    Are some merchants on a pay every two month schedule (which would mean a payment should have been made at the start of April); or is it a pay when you want as you go....

    How does that work?

    Yes I read this but I still think it would be interesting to know if merchants are held to any sort of billing requirements.

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    The last we were told from Linkshare which was several years ago was that merchant invoices are due for payment by the 5th day following the month after the month the invoice covers. It's very clear from experience that Linkshare doesn't hold their merchants accountable to this schedule. It's not uncommon for me at all to have to wait more than two full months to be paid after the month the commissions were earned. With our current state of the economy, I expect it to get worse.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    I still don't get how LinkShare benefits by not following their contract and disabling merchants who aren't up to date on payments...

  4. #4
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    It's very clear from experience that Linkshare doesn't hold their merchants accountable to this schedule.
    Thanks. That's kind of what I thought.

    Oh well.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    I have two merchants who have not paid Nov 2007 balance yet, and another for Dec 2007. Should I contact them myself? Should I drop them? Or will I get paid sooner or later?

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    I still don't get how LinkShare benefits by not following their contract and disabling merchants who aren't up to date on payments...
    That's a strong allegation especially since I don't recall anyone ever posting here that happening except with one merchant who was on the verge of bankrupty and actually went out of business completely shortly thereafter.

    Please name the merchants you're referring to.

    I think it's an excellent policy to disable a merchant that is seriously past due with no reasonable expectation of coming current in their obligations. In fact, I recommended just that with a specific Linkshare merchant last year.

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    I have two merchants who have not paid Nov 2007 balance yet, and another for Dec 2007. Should I contact them myself? Should I drop them? Or will I get paid sooner or later?
    Who are those merchants?

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Avon, Roots, Northern Reflection

  9. #9
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Avon, Roots, Northern Reflection
    According to my reports Avon last paid on Feb. 26th. Not that it's a good thing....

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Avon Canada, sorry about that

  11. #11
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Ah ha. I wonder why one has paid and the other hasn't.

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Think I should contact them???

  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    That's a strong allegation especially since I don't recall anyone ever posting here that happening except with one merchant who was on the verge of bankrupty and actually went out of business completely shortly thereafter.

    Please name the merchants you're referring to.

    I think it's an excellent policy to disable a merchant that is seriously past due with no reasonable expectation of coming current in their obligations. In fact, I recommended just that with a specific Linkshare merchant last year.
    Snowman - I agree with your suggestion (and that's what my original post in this thread says, though not in the best English ). If you do a quick search through the forum here, you'll find many reports of merchants being 2+ months behind on payments, though they all seem resolved. I may have not made it clear in the first post, but I was saying that Linkshare does NOT disable merchants who are behind on payment.

    Examples include http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=91857 (posted by you), http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=92242 (you're in there too), and http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=90083, so I think you just misunderstood what I said.

    I find that CJ has a much stricter policy of disabling merchants for late payment, though they don't give affiliates any warning until they pull the plug (though this is usually resolved same-day by a wire or check from the advertiser to CJ). A combination of the two policies (transparency + disabling past due merchants) would be the best option, in my opinion.

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Definitely contact all of them. Roots is a Premium Linkshare merchant so hopefully Linkshare will remove that designation since they no longer qualify.

    http://www.linkshare.com/rc/premiumpartner.html

    I can't find any info. on Avon Canada since I'm not a Canadian publisher.

    I also can't find any contact info. on Northern Reflections. I was looking to see if they are a Linkshare managed merchant or not.

  15. #15
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Joshua, I obviously didn't understand what you meant due to how you used the word "NOT."

    What you are commenting about is definitely not unique to Linkshare. CJ let Hyatt go without paying for 5 months before they were terminated. Hyatt did ultimately pay several months later. They never were reinstated.

    CJ also allowed Wynn Las Vegas to go about the same amount of time without paying and even worse, CJ took their money and allowed Wynn to be prominently featured at CJU during the same timeframe that affiliates were not being paid. That's clearly a conflict of interest on CJ's part.

    Performics let Wyndham Hotels go at least 6 months without paying affiliates. They did ultimately get current.

    You just don't know these things happen if they aren't merchants you're affiliated with.

  16. #16
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Joshua, I obviously didn't understand what you meant due to how you used the word "NOT."

    What you are commenting about is definitely not unique to Linkshare. CJ let Hyatt go without paying for 5 months before they were terminated. Hyatt did ultimately pay several months later. They never were reinstated.

    CJ also allowed Wynn Las Vegas to go about the same amount of time without paying and even worse, CJ took their money and allowed Wynn to be prominently featured at CJU during the same timeframe that affiliates were not being paid. That's clearly a conflict of interest on CJ's part.

    Performics let Wyndham Hotels go at least 6 months without paying affiliates. They did ultimately get current.

    You just don't know these things happen if they aren't merchants you're affiliated with.
    Darn double negatives again...

    Looks like a pattern of hotel chains doing the same thing to different networks - Coincidence?

    Besides those examples, CJ is usually a bit too heavy handed with cutting off smaller clients (as in not even giving a warning phone call or email after a missed bill, and then cutting off access when the negative balance is in the hundreds of dollar ranges), while letting merchants with tens of thousands in the red continue for months.

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Here's Linkshare's latest statement on publisher payments and expectations from their advertisers.

    http://www.linkshare.com/publishers/payouts/

    Unfortunately, there is no mention of enforcement or any consequences the merchant faces for non-compliance.

  18. #18
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman

    Unfortunately, there is no mention of enforcement or any consequences the merchant faces for non-compliance.
    I think I'm pretty much done with Linkshare. I'll continue to promote certain merchants but as for adding new ones; no way.

    I'm so sick of policies that only benefit merchants. It's as if affiliates aren't taken seriously as legit business owners; not just with Linkshare, but as a whole.

    P.S.

    I want my money.

  19. #19
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Location
    Park City Utah
    Posts
    16,646
    When we took over the Register.com account we found that invoices weren't paid for two months. There were some personnel shifts and no one was watching the store. We worked with the new hire from Register (Josh) to get it resolved and then apologized to the affiliates. We now share the responsibities with them but it is up to the merchant to resolve all invoices so the network can pay the affiliates. LinkShare can pay weekly so once they get the money they pay the afffiliates. I recommend starting with the merchant.

  20. #20
    Believe knight01's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2006
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,815
    I've got a Linkshare merchant that hasn't paid since the beginning of February, and I've got a bad feeling.

    They reversed half of my transactions from February in March. When I saw that happen, I jumped out of the program like a cat in a swimming pool. I don't have a problem with an occasional reversal. Hey, things happen. But the timing and the volume makes me flash back to my only other deadbeat merchant.

    My rule is simple, the merchant / network misses a payment all promotion stops immediately. I have no flexibility with Adwords, Adcenter or Y! on when I pay them. At this point, even if they paid me this month, I won't re-add them to any site.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

  21. #21
    Newbie
    Join Date
    June 12th, 2005
    Posts
    4
    I have been trying to get paid for sept 2007 from wirefly

    they say the will pay told me also that they gave all merchants 90 days then turned them over to a collector...

  22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. LinkShare Merchants: How to Pay Quicker
    By MichaelColey in forum Merchant Best Practices Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
  2. Parasites? and Merchants who pay but dont pay fully
    By Lasthope in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 7th, 2006, 03:07 PM
  3. Does Linkshare Ever Pay?
    By La_Valette in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM
  4. Linkshare Merchants that PAY
    By in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: November 11th, 2001, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •