cash incented sites
    I'd like to know how advertisers feel about the cash incented sites in CJ. As a rule do you feel safe that customers won't buy and then return/chargeback?

Quote Originally Posted by centerdm
    As a rule do you feel safe that customers won't buy and then return/chargeback?
    No. Generally, incentive traffic is horrible quality. They hardly stay after free trials, and they are also a big source of fraud for sale-based programs.

There are always exceptions, but generally I agree. Incentivized traffic is awful, particularly for CPC or CPL. It's somewhat better for revenue share merchants, but there can still be many problems depending on the particular affiliates, how well they monitor for fraud and what business practices they use.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

We actually have very little fraud when it comes to shopping and our cash back site. I would say that we have less than a 1% reversal rate, and most of those are people who are returning clothes or shoes that do not fit. It really depends on the technology and the integrity of the site.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

ABW Ambassador
    What would be an example of an incentivized offer for a sale-based program other than cash back? Or is cash back for a sale-based program what the OP is referring to?

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    really depends on the cash-incentive site for us.
    have they been around for awhile, can i speak with someone at the website.
    i like to know them a little before we allow them to promote our products.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    What would be an example of an incentivized offer for a sale-based program other than cash back? Or is cash back for a sale-based program what the OP is referring to?
    Other incentivized offers would be those such as FreeiPods (and the other FreePay sites), where a user must complete X offers in order to get an iPod or other non-cash prize.

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    We actually have very little fraud when it comes to shopping and our cash back site. I would say that we have less than a 1% reversal rate, and most of those are people who are returning clothes or shoes that do not fit. It really depends on the technology and the integrity of the site.
    Cash back shopping sites that are integrated into an existing community (such as FatWallet, or most likely your site from your description) have the lowest rates of fraud.

I consider cash-back incentive sites based on % of sale back (such as what FatWallet has) in a different category than cases such as Search Cactus or TikTikCash, where a consumer's only object is to make money by completing offers, most of which have higher payouts than the cost of the product (due to trials or subscription products).

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    No. Generally, incentive traffic is horrible quality.
    Do you have some statistics that back this up or is this only your opinion not based on factual data?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Do you have some statistics that back this up or is this only your opinion not based on factual data?
    With one product I used to work with, about 30% of all "sales" coming from a few solely cash-back sites (not % back shopping) were fraudulent.

For a free trial (another product), 10% of incentive subscriptions would stay as paying customers, vs. 45% from other non-incentive channels.

This is completely different than the experience in percentage cash back shopping sites (such as FatWallet or charity donation setups), where rates of fraud for sales were not statistically different than from normal channels.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We have 2 rather busy cash back websites and neither have high reversal rates or excessive fradulent sales.

We do not include merchants who offer outrageous fees for simply signing up. I would assume those are the merchants that are abused more often. But if a merchant is willing to pay $25 or $100 per someone to sign up for a no obligation program they might consider putting some type of qualifier on their offer to stop the abusive tendencies.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

It looks like your sites fall into the second category I listed. When I think of cash incentive sites, I generally think of those that revolve around CPA style offers - Such as FreePay's gift certificate sites or a Searchcactus/TikTikCash type site. Those are the types to be careful with.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread