Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question International Shipping Solutions for buyers shopping at US Shipping Only Merchants
    International Shipping Solutions for buyers shopping at US Shipping Only Merchants

Please recommend or suggest cost effective options

Thanks

USPS is by far the cheapest. UPS/DHL/FedEx Ground charge high brokerage fees on delivery.

sorry,
    options for buyers,
    not options for sellers

i just found one option in an old thread
    http://www.international-orders.com

kse is right, the USPS is by far the lowest cost shipper, but that does not make it an International Shipping Solution for buyers shopping at US Shipping Only Merchants. If merchants ship only to the US there is no International Shipping solution.
    Many merchants will not even use the USPS within the US even though it is a lower cost solution with faster deliveries and more locations. They are mystified by the free pickup and packaging available I guess.

Access USA my be what you are looking for, www. myus. com

>> Many merchants will not even use the USPS within the US even though it is a lower cost solution with faster deliveries and more locations.

thx for let me know about this situation in U.S. as well

another question

is "USPS priority shipping" a more expensive shipping option than "standard/regular air mail" ?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan
    sorry,
    options for buyers,
    not options for sellers

i just found one option in an old thread
    http://www.international-orders.com
    Seems to me that buyers are limited to what the sellers offer.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

The services cited here are shopping services that will place your order for you, have it shipped within the US and then reship it to you. Results are expensive and can be very disappointing for the shopper. It probably works fine for clothing but large, heavy or fragile items are not recommended. Problems arise when the merchant's insurance ends on original delivery and returns are prohibitively expensive. An item that can ship for $35 to a US address ends up costing closer to $200 to its final destination.

for non-US shoppers to shop "US shipping only" merchants

is "USPS priority shipping" a more expensive shipping option than "standard/regular air mail" ?
    Priority is the lowest rate for international shipments. It is higher than US First Class or US Parcel Post, but those classes are not available for international shipping.

ABW Ambassador
    USPS no question about it... more customers/users/retail buyers prefer tham as its cheaper and also most of the time they can "get away" with customs.... ;-)

and if you are able to "declare" it a gift it would be even "nicer"

With USPS rates going up on the 12th of May Fedex and UPS may be as cheap if not cheaper to and from some countries.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    With USPS rates going up on the 12th of May Fedex and UPS may be as cheap if not cheaper to and from some countries.
    May become cheaper for the shipper but as a shopper you will have to pay on average an extra $30 Brokerage fee when you receive the order.

>> Priority is the lowest rate for international shipments. It is higher than US First Class or US Parcel Post, but those classes are not available for international shipping.

as least they are options as "surface mail" shipping and "M bag" i think

Besides, anyone know other services option to solve the thread topic's problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    May become cheaper for the shipper but as a shopper you will have to pay on average an extra $30 Brokerage fee when you receive the order.
    That's not a brokerage fee that's a VAT fee, and the shipper has no control on how much you pay it's up to your goverment and regardless of the shipper you pay that VAT unless the shipper lies and says the value of the item has 0.

But the USPS recently started a pilot program at some post offices where you have to show proof of whats inside of a package if its going international, at my local post office I had to open it and when I told them the value is 0 and they saw what it was they guestimated the value at 100 but allowed me to label it as a gift.

In Canada a brokerage fee is charged by the shippers for doing the paper work to get the items over the Border. Each shipper can charge what they like. UPS charges the most, then its FedEx and the cheapest is USPS. The VAT (TAX's) as you refer to is also charged by the Goverment.

I once sent a gift which cost me about $35 to my parents in the UK ... the combination of the shippers fee and the customs fee were higher than the value of the item.

One point ... NEVER put 0 or a very low value on an item ... even if sending as a gift. The customs people will open it and estimate the value and then charge you extra. I've bought things on offer online and had to pay more in taxes here than I paid for the original item as the customs people estimated the local value to be so much higher and just didn't believe the price on the invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    In Canada a brokerage fee is charged by the shippers for doing the paper work to get the items over the Border. Each shipper can charge what they like. UPS charges the most, then its FedEx and the cheapest is USPS. The VAT (TAX's) as you refer to is also charged by the Goverment.
    How hard is it to do the paperwork your self? Both UPS and Fedex allow you to do that paperwork yourself and the forms are easy to fill out.

The USPS doesn't fill the paper work out for you, you have to fill it out your self.

Never had the option to fill it out for myself. UPS Makes you pay the extra fee before they give you the package. FedEx gives you the package and send you the bill in a few weeks. USPS I have never had to do anything or pay anything.

You never had the option to fill it out your self, that means you haven't botthered to look because on both the fedex site and UPS site when you create an international shipment, there is a step on both sites that inform you about the shipping documents needed.

Both FedEx and UPS will allow you to fill out those documents electronicly, both sites have similar language and say if you do not know what forms you need we will do it for you for a fee.

Here is a popup you get on Fedex when you do international shipping and get to the documents form
    https://gtm.fedex.com/FID?cntry_code=us

USPS the same thing only difference they won't fill it out for you they just guide you through the process.

I think KSE is talking about when you receive a package rather than send one. I've had the fees sent to me from UPS or DHL later too when I've ordered something from outside of the country.

ABW Ambassador
    i dont know about the states or canada, but for europe if someone opts for DHL, TNT, UPS etc will opt for it only in terms of delivery time and he/she is aware that is going to cost him/her a lot more than USPS + any customs (which is a complex issue and NOT just VAT) and brokerage fee implied from those companies due to profitability of the service.

99% of the buyers opt for USPS because its cheaper the time is not that much important and when we are talking for overseas shipments we are talking merely for time differences not greater than 2-5 days from the courrier companies

Quote Originally Posted by Sue
    I think KSE is talking about when you receive a package rather than send one. I've had the fees sent to me from UPS or DHL later too when I've ordered something from outside of the country.
    correct.....

Tax Paying Member
    Very interesting postings.

It appears to me that it is not economical for small merchant (10 to 20 dollar items) to market outside the US borders unless the buyer is willing to pay large shipping and tax fees.

Does this hold true for merchants in other countries marketing to customers in the USA??
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    what is the legal status regarding the Customs and IRS for users/buyers receiving "physical" products from overseas? does anyone have a reference?

it would be interesting to have such references for other countries like australia, New Zealand etc

btw there is no probles with downloads etc except in case the order is made by a company and any applicable VAT charged can be reclaimed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast