CyberCucina - Using data feeds
    I want to use data feeds to display CyberCucina products on my website. I have examined the datafeed and see enough data there to create list and detail pages. I have searched for documentation on datafeeds (including the Affiliate Interface Guide PDF document), but all I have been able to find so far is Brian's New Datafeed Format post of 3/15/07 on this forum.

I would like to keep visitors browsing and shopping on my site until they are ready to check out. Can this be done? Is this even necessary or the right thing to do? If so, would someone please point me to the right place where I can find the information?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Corredor

Many affiliates use datafeeds to create product pages for their traffic. Datafeeds can be uploaded automatically (after setup) to your site to serve pages of products - or downloaded from SAS and other networks if you aren't using php templates and MySQL yet. There are many other solutions. Check the search feature at the top of the page and look up WebMerge which can create pages from a database. There's a special edition for SAS users, and a sale right now on the latest version.
    The fastest way to get pages up is via Golden Can or PopShops where you insert your settings and then just paste their code on your pages to show products; much more info available by search. You'll find all you need to know it just takes some time to sort it out.

OK, I have already looked in all the places suggested by 2busy, but could not find the answer I am looking for. What I need to know is a little more specific; let me re-phrase:

I would like to keep the visitors browsing and shopping on my site, then pass them off to the merchant (CybeCucina) site when they are ready to check out. So, my questions really are:

Can I have an 'Add to Cart' button on MY product details page on MY site?

Do the visitors have to go to the merchant site for each item they want to add to the cart?

I suspect there must be a way to do this, but I am not even sure if it's necessary, or the right thing to do.

Any ideas?

Just my opinion here, and there are FAR more qualified people to weigh in on this than I, both as successful affiliate marketers and much sharper people at PHP, etc., for the coding angle.

It's fairly easy to set up a script that'll make an index page and show categories, subcategories, or whatever. Clicking on those category links takes you to a product page with detailed description and a "BUY NOW" or "MORE INFO" or whatever button, which then takes the shopper to the merchant's website, generally at or just before the shopping cart.

It would be extremely trickly adding a "Shopping Cart" to your affiliate site and getting it to work so the person actually buys from the merchant's site. After all, we are AFFILIATES, not merchants.

I'm not sure whether that can be done, i.e., a shopping cart type setup the person can add products to, then pass them all into the merchant's shopping cart for checkout.

But, like I said, there are far more knowledgeable people here than I who can explain the whys and why-nots of such a set up.

Short answer would probably be, no, you really can't or don't want to set up such a site, whether datafeed driven or not, simply because you're an affiliate and not a merchant, so you really aren't selling things -- your merchants are.
    Generate more fake news.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    There was kind of a similar thread on this. This person wanted to do something similar but not exactly what you are proposing.

Questions answered
    writerguy, I suspected just what you say. My hang-up about wanting to keep the visitor in my site as long as possible was based on my inexperience in this affiliate business. Thanks, I consider your reply the answer to my questions.

ProWebAddict, thanks for pointing me to that thread. Although what I had in mind was not the same, reading that thread opened my eyes about a couple of things.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread