Google sitemaps, WordPress, and static sites?
    Wasn't quite sure what to title this thread. Hope that works.

Here's the deal, for you WP gurus out there:

I have a datafeed based site running off PHP/MySQL on pages with a .php extension.

On that site, I have a subdirectory, which has a WP 2.5 blog installed in it.

Relatively simple:

http://www.mydatafeedbasedsite.com
    and
    http://www.mydatafeedbasedsite.com/WPblog

My question: If I use the WP Google Sitemap Generator plugin on the WPblog, will it include the pages/data/whatever in the www.mydatafeedbasedsite.com path -- or will it only build a sitemap from the blog?

I should know the answer to this, but I haven't set anything up with the blog in a subdirectory and then wanted to sitemap all the pages in a root directory as well as the WP blog.

Anybody enlighten me? Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    The WP Google Sitemap Generator plugin I have, maybe the same as yours, would only make the sitemap for the blog itself. Everything the WP would create, would be on it. I'm pretty positive of that. I'm no guru though.

Although, there is an option to make the sitemap manually too, so perhaps you can add your other pages that way? Total guess there. Never tried that, I'd only mess it up, lol.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    The plugin which I use allows the option to manually add other "external" pages to the site map.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Thanks for saying it better.

I have and I tried the Google Sitemap Generator plugin (I think that's the one?) -- and it does have the option to add external pages.

That's what I tried. It seemed to work. It showed only two more pages than it showed in the sitemap generated only for the blog -- but the two pages I added via listing the external URL were the index.php and category.php pages of the datafeed site. Usually that means the sitemap will pickup and list distinct pages for the database info linked to the index.php and category.php.

So I killed the plugin and installed a sitemap software I have that's non-blog software. That software picked up all the blog links AND the several dozen index.php and category.php pages -- for a sitemap with almost three times the pages as the one generated by the WP plugin.

Conclusion: In my site setup, the WP plugin didn't work as I hoped. The stand-alone sitemap software I ended up installing and using is pretty good, and not that hard to use, so I'll stick with it. Unfortunately, that WP sitemap plugin would've been more easy to use and more automated.
    Generate more fake news.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread