View Poll Results: What is the expiration end time?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • When the expiration date starts at 00:00:00.0 midnight

2 33.33%
  • When the expiration date ends at 11:59:59.999 P.M EST/EDT ?

3 50.00%
  • Neither of the above. The expiration time could be anytime after 00:00:00 and before 11:59:59.999 P.M EST.

0 0%
  • I don't know.

1 16.67%
    Question Expiration Time is it 00:00:00 or 11:59:00 PM ?
    Many merchants don't specify the expiration time and time zone along with the expriation date.

Merchants only give just the expiration date.

If an offer has an expiration date of say April 15th, 2008 do they mean

1) As soon as April 15th starts the offer ends? So April 15th 00:00:00.) ?

2) The offer is valid through April 15th's midnight - as in April 15th 11:59:59.999 P.M EST/EDT ?

I am assuming that they mean the 2nd, what does everyone think?

I think it depends on the merchant.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

For almost all merchants, the expiration date is really a "valid through" date, and the coupon works up through the end of the day (or 11:59pm) on the expiration date. The time zone is usually the time zone of the merchant's headquarters, but sometimes that varies. Sometimes it's based on the time zone where the server is. Sometimes (Dell and Overstock) it's at odd times throughout the day. Some merchants are considerate enough that they don't expire them until midnight PDT (giving the west coasters to the end of the day) even if the merchant is in a different time zone.

It would be nice if merchants were more clear on when things actually expire. Not just a date, but a date, time, and time zone. And if they would use "11:59" rather than an ambiguous "midnight".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

As a merchant I would have to say at 11:59:59 on April 15,2008 the coupon is still good. At 00:00:00 it becomes April 16, 2008 and the coupon is expired. Thats how I would do it as a merchant. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    For almost all merchants, the expiration date is really a "valid through" date, and the coupon works up through the end of the day (or 11:59pm) on the expiration date. The time zone is usually the time zone of the merchant's headquarters, but sometimes that varies. Sometimes it's based on the time zone where the server is. Sometimes (Dell and Overstock) it's at odd times throughout the day. Some merchants are considerate enough that they don't expire them until midnight PDT (giving the west coasters to the end of the day) even if the merchant is in a different time zone.

It would be nice if merchants were more clear on when things actually expire. Not just a date, but a date, time, and time zone. And if they would use "11:59" rather than an ambiguous "midnight".
    Yeah, I agree too. But it is something I can only dream about :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MyDayRegistry
    As a merchant I would have to say at 11:59:59 on April 15,2008 the coupon is still good. At 00:00:00 it becomes April 16, 2008 and the coupon is expired. Thats how I would do it as a merchant. Hope that helps.
    Thank you - I think this is what many of them mean.

Quote Originally Posted by MyDayRegistry
    As mentioned previously it would help if merchants included the time zone. If a merchant's program is in the U.S. there are 4 possible 11:59:59's to choose from. If I choose the wrong one I can have a very disappointed (or pissed off) customer. And yes, I could visit your web site, determine where you are headquartered and guess at the time zone that you meant based on that information, but it would be so much easier if merchants just include those three extra letters.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Yep, and even that (using their headquarters) is a guess. Many use Eastern or Pacific time even if they're located elsewhere.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread