ABW Ambassador
    Posting a transcript heard on TV, copy right troubles or no?
    Really silly question here, I think.

If you were to post a transcript of a small segment that airs on a news show and credit the news show, it wouldn't break any copy rights would it?

I'm thinking it wouldn't, but some times laws can be nutty, lol.

Yes, it would. If you're quoting someone/something in an editorial context and you use a small amount, it *might* fall under Fair Use (otherwise, there would be no newspapers ), but generally, if all you're doing is transcribing the content, that's infringement.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I'd be transcribing. It's a short maybe 1 minute segment that would fit perfectly with a website I'm now working on developing. Plus, while I've found some of the segments on some blogs, etc.. there is no neat place on the web I've found that has archived them. Besides the show's daily transcript, which isn't neat.

So even if I gave full credit, made sure everyone would know it isn't my work, and I linked back to the show's website, it would be infringement? It being a national show, wouldn't change anything?

LOL, sorry.. I was really excited and wanted to include it.

That seems odd though, can't do that with something aired nationally. And the show doesn't do repeats.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's point of view ), giving credit doesn't negate the infringement - and since it sounds like you're not doing a commentary on the piece, but simply transcribing the piece... I'd wager it wouldn't be legal. Still, I'm not a lawyer. One thing to try is to contact the producers of the piece and ask them. That would clear it up mighty quick
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

It all gets down to how much and why. As Daniel pointed out if you're commenting on it and it is a small quote with proper attribution then it would be covered by the fair use policy.

If you are simply looking at taking a snippet and pasting it on your site even with attribution you could get into more trouble than it's worth.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on one's point of view ), giving credit doesn't negate the infringement
    I'm just seeing aired on TV in a different light then. If they were website based, I'd think it was infringement, but this just doesn't seem like it could be. Of course, it is sounding like I'm completely wrong, lol.

So I guess I need to email the show and pray they reply to emails.

Thanks for the replies you both.

Edit: And so far, can't find a single email address for the show.. found some for the parent company's other shows. That doesn't help, lol.
    Last edited by Hardaka; April 14th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Maybe just quote a single line and reference the show with a link to their site then write your own take on the piece.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Maybe just quote a single line and reference the show with a link to their site then write your own take on the piece.
    As Rexanne suggests, I believe that is the proper way to do it.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    That would be a great suggestion, but won't work in this case. For it to work, I need to copy the entire segment. I know, being vague, but no one else seems to have done it.. so don't want the idea stolen, lol.

Just need to find an email address for this show.. they can't not have one.

Most likely no media company will allow you to copy an entire segment of their broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    I need to copy the entire segment. .......

but no one else seems to have done it..
    Could there be a reason no one else has done it?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Could there be a reason no one else has done it?
    I found some of the segments on blogs, and some up on you tube, just not a place where they all are. Well, found a wiki with the titles of all of them.

Maybe no one has gotten permission. Or maybe no one felt like going through tons of daily transcripts to find the segments and putting them all in one place.

But I sure am going to try and find out. Won't know for sure, till then.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread