Your eBay Images Stolen? Try This...
    I noticed a lot of hits in one of our website stats this morning. They were coming from one of our eBay items, so I clicked the link to see what the item was. Lo and behold...someone else's auction appeared! It contained a word for word description from one of our auctions as well as our images. The hits were the result of the links to images on our domain still intact in the stolen listing. So I checked their eBay store and found five more of the same.

So, first order of business was to report the offender to eBay, which usually means a several day delay for results.

Now, I get really stressed out when my material is stolen, so decided to do something about it. Whipped up new images to replace the originals, changed the links in MY eBay listing, and wallah! See attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images

X

Brilliant!

Serves 'em right....

ABW Ambassador
    Well that gets the point across, doesn't it!

Ha! Well done, and proof positive of keeping a good eye on your stat counters. Nice job.

Boomers,
    Did you also contact the seller that was stealing your images?

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    Boomers,
    Nope. Through experience I've found that it's better to leave any contact to eBay. I contacted a few in the past and found that it sometimes results in revenge. One of them opened a bogus eBay account and made some fake purchases from me, so since then I let eBay take care of it. I also add the thief to my blocked buyer list. Course it will probably be pretty obvious to the seller who changed the images but in this case that's a chance I'm willing to take.

X

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I've taken a couple different approaches. First time I just picked a filthy image and...ahem....renamed it...

The second time, I just created a banner advertising my web site as the cheapest place to find said item.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Adendum...
    Boomers,
    This seller is obviously not some guy selling stuff after cleaning out his garage. He's also got a website with many new products listed. The particular item that was stolen is a new item that is generally purchased through a regular distributor. So, if I believed he just made a mistake by not reading the rules, I might consider contacting him, but in this case nothin' doin'!

X

You could advertise your website instead of the stolen image notice. "For items like this that aren't stolen visit www.yoursite.com" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Heyder
    You could advertise your website instead of the stolen image notice. "For items like this that aren't stolen visit www.yoursite.com" lol
    I would hesitate in doing that because it's against eBay TOS. I could list my eBay username or store name but I don't think I want it on this jokers listing...

Edit: Ok, I get it! [LOL]

X

Too Funny!!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Stolen image revenge stories are the highlight of my day. LOL - thanks for the giggles, Boomers!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    That seldom helped. Usually, they rip images and save it on their server.

We do a lot on eBay and we reported over 700 images stolen by another power seller. They hosted the image.

Did the VERO thing over 14 days. They are still live on eBay and I know that they should be suspended after 3 incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe

We do a lot on eBay and we reported over 700 images stolen by another power seller. They hosted the image.

Did the VERO thing over 14 days. They are still live on eBay and I know that they should be suspended after 3 incidents.
    That's pretty discouraging. Sometimes there's nothing you can do when eBay won't act. I still haven't figured out the three strikes thing. Seems to be an eBay gray area...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe

So, the only way to protect against that would be to watermark your ebay username/storename on the image?

So, the only way to protect against that would be to watermark your ebay username/storename on the image?
    That's pretty much true. Watermarking is a really good deterrent unless someone wants the image really bad and is very good with graphic editing.
    We used to always watermark our images for eBay but since we opened our website, the images there are shared by our eBay listings. I've become remiss in watermarking. I may create a dedicated directory for the eBay images and start watermarking again...

X

Quote Originally Posted by Kaja, eBay Trust and Safety Support
    Thank you for contacting us about the image or text that is being used
    without your permission.

I've reviewed your report about the following listings:

I can confirm that eBay has taken the appropriate action. If a seller
    violates eBay policy, depending on the violation, a range of actions may result. These actions may include listing cancellation, limiting account privileges, account suspension, forfeiture of eBay fees on canceled
    listings, or loss of PowerSeller status.

Due to the eBay Privacy Policy, we can't share specific information
    about another member's account or the actions we've taken. This policy
    protects all eBay members and ensures that your personal account history will always remain private.

For more information about item description and picture theft, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ext-theft.html

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this
    email and let us know.
    And that's that. eBay responded in less than 24 hours. I'm satisfied with that. All the stolen listings are now gone.
    I checked out some of his other listings and found that most of them are also copied from other eBay users. I even reported some of them, but I'm not certain eBay will act on those reports since I'm not the one he copied from.

X

Good boomer!

Even though ebay won't tell you how they reprimanded the violator, have you noticed if any of their privileges have been revoked, i.e. loss of PowerSeller status etc...

Boomers, it's good to see that ebay responded and took action so quickly although I'm not sure I agree with their policy to not share what action was taken. I've always liked the idea of public floggings as a deterrent to others.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Good boomer!

Even though ebay won't tell you how they reprimanded the violator, have you noticed if any of their privileges have been revoked, i.e. loss of PowerSeller status etc...
    I can't tell that anything other than removing the offending listings was done. I wish I paid more attention to the original listings. The power seller designation is not there now, but I don't know if it was there before either. The FB count is a little over 300 and it could be they haven't yet reached PS status.
    My experience with reporting users is that the consequence is just removal of the listings and nothing more. I think most eBay sellers don't realize that eBay generally isn't always trolling for rule infractions. It's usually only when other eBay users report offenders that action is taken. So when the user gets notice of the removal and that they now have a "strike" against them and they think the big eBay eye in the sky is watching, they'll clean up their act.

X

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I've always liked the idea of public floggings as a deterrent to others.
    -rematt
    Me too, but on the other hand, many times mistakes are made simply out of ignorance (not that that's an excuse) and don't really deserve a public flogging, just a back room flogging.

X

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread