ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure which section to post this in so if this isn't the right one, please let me know.

Is it okay to get a mis-spelled version of a domain that would presumably have a lot of type in traffic if one word of the two word domain is trademarked and that's the word that's mis-spelled? The mis-spelling isn't trademarked.

This isn't it, but let's say instead of MicrosoftSoftware.com it's MicrosftSoftware.com. Would that be okay? The phrase Microsoft Software isn't trademarked.

I would think it would be okay, but the company is a heavy hitter like Microsoft. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Kip

My opinion is that it's not ok. You're domain contains a trademark name and you're purpose is to get the traffic that would normally go to the company who owns the trademark. I wouldn't register/use the domain.

Not OK. If it's a trademark then using something confusing close will get you into serious trouble.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That's typosquatting, and it's not okay. It probably wouldn't be long before the company came and ate it, from what I've read of other cases...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I agree morally it isn't okay (sorry I should have been clearer on that initially.) It's for a friend that I'm helping out and my argument that it wasn't right didn't seem to sway him but I didn't have any arguments that it wasn't okay legally (I thought it would be okay legally since the mis-spelling isn't trademarked.) The typosquatting gives me something to search under for the ammo I need.

Thanks,
    Kip

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Not ok legally either.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Great. Thanks. I've sent him a bunch of links showing that it isn't legal and I've told him I won't host it for him. He's on his own now.

One thing interesting that I read that I didn't realize is that companies can also block you from putting their trademarked name or a mis-spelling of it in your meta tags or on your site.

Seems like a definite balancing act for companies - how do you protect your mark yet still promote (and have others promote) your product? Do you just go after the bad guys who are abusing your mark or do you become heavy handed and block everyone? If you just go after the bad guys and not everyone who isn't a part of your sales force then you leave yourself open to charges of not protecting your mark. Interesting.

Kip

This may be an interesting link: click here . The names on that page are from misspelled Yahoo domains or domains that contain the word Yahoo. All cases were won by Yahoo.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread