Question Back links: do they improve the ranking of a domain or a particular page
    If someone links to a page such as [a href 'www.somesite.com/widget.html']great widget[/a] does that improve the SERP for somesite.com or just the particular landing page? and on the same note if someone back link's a subdomain (i.e. sub.somesite.com) does that improve the SERP for somesite.com?

15 years and counting
    It depends. If an "authority" site links to [a href 'www.somesite.com/widget.html']great widget[/a] it will improve greatly the SERP for the landing page and the site for the anchor keywork if "nofollow" is not used in the link. If the "authority" site is in the same vertical it will even be better.
    "if someone back link's a subdomain (i.e. sub.somesite.com) does that improve the SERP for somesite.com."
    I don't think so. sub.somesite.com used to be very independant in their ranking.
    In many cases back links are not worth anything. Bad neighbourhood, "link farms", Paid Links, Paid per Posts... or from any site at Google will.
    Even if I did pretty good since the first days of Google, I don't consider myself an expert.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    In many cases back links are not worth anything.
    I'd have to disagree with that...but if my competition wants to think that it's fine with me.

so... If all other backlink theories hold true ('authority site' etc..) then a link to an inner page increases SERP for the inner page AND the domain?

It depends. If an "authority" site links to [a href 'www.somesite.com/widget.html']great widget[/a] it will improve greatly the SERP for the landing page and the site for the anchor keywork if "nofollow" is not used in the link. If the "authority" site is in the same vertical it will even be better.
    Can you explain the part about 'anchor keywork' - did not understand that point...

"if someone back link's a subdomain (i.e. sub.somesite.com) does that improve the SERP for somesite.com."
    I don't think so. sub.somesite.com used to be very independant in their ranking.
    so... a subdomain is treated like a separate web location. How about if sub.somesite.com is just a redirect to www.somesite.com/sub?

15 years and counting
    buyjewelry - Can you explain the part about 'anchor keywork' - did not understand that point...
    Sorry for that typing typo, it's 'anchor keyword'
    I'm getting old, I'm getting mad...
    "great widget" is your anchor keyword.
    To maximize your SEO effort you may want to diversify your anchor keywords with "synonyms" like blue widgets, beautiful widgets...
    so... a subdomain is treated like a separate web location. How about if sub.somesite.com is just a redirect to www.somesite.com/sub?
    It will increase your chance to rank well, the sub link will be treated as a back link for www.somesite.com/sub

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Think of your site like a stack of cups... pour water (backlinks) into one and some of that water (link juice) can spill over into the other pages.

So the answer is both, it helps your individual pages and your site, at the same time.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Back links to internal pages are extremely valuable. In fact too many spend all their time getting the exact same anchor text links strictly to their home page over and over.

I believe you want a good mixture of key phrase text links to BOTH homepages and internal pages.

Equally important, though, is your internal linking strategy and how you choose to pass page rank.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

15 years and counting
    A good "internal linking strategy" is a must.

Thanks - very useful information.

On the topic of 'internal linking strategy' - are we talking about the navigation methods or something else?

and about "...how you choose to pass page rank." Is this referring to how a page is weighted in the sitemap file?

15 years and counting
    Navigation method is just one part, not always the most effective (if you're using some scripts) Nothing prevents you to link from one page to another with "anchor keywords" if this helps your visitors to navigate your site. A long time ago it was called hyperlinks by web pionners.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Create a hierarchy of pages. Have the lowest pages on the pyramid link to your top landing pages but limit the number of "down the pyramid" links as much as possible while still creating adequate navigation for visitors and SE's.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Create a hierarchy of pages. Have the lowest pages on the pyramid link to your top landing pages but limit the number of "down the pyramid" links as much as possible while still creating adequate navigation for visitors and SE's.
    Thanks for the good idea
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread