Help me to help someone special
    I have a favor to ask of anyone willing to help a very special person I recently met. I will do my best to introduce you to her and explain the situation. First I'll start with myself and what I do in order to make this sensible.

I am an auctioneer and I specialize in the sale of real estate. I run advertisements in my area offering quick sales etc. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have run across all kinds of people in all kinds of situations as you might imagine.

Recently there has been a lot of people in financial trouble and most of them call when it's to little to late. I have to tell you I want to help all of these people but it is usually out of my hands and this might sound sinister but they need to help themselves too if you know what I mean.

Okay enough about what I do now I'd like to try an introduce you to somone that has recently made a profound difference in my life. She is a customer that called me about selling her home. She's 61 years old has what she calls golden credit. Never a late payment and never missed one or burnt anyone in her life. She's not in financial trouble at all but needs to sell her house NOW. Two years ago she was diagnosed with ALS also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a fatal disease that is completely crippling and non treatable.

Joanne can no longer speak or move any of her facial muscles. Our communication has been her handwritting to me while I try to carry the conversation with her in a manor I've never had to before. You can imagine it's a little uncomfortable at first but I feel I did well as this perfect stranger has managed to hug me four times already.

Joan is known around the world for her volunteer efforts to help other people. She is listed in a who's who listing in a major New York business magazine, she's helped with many missing children's campaigns, and many more things I don't have time to list.

Joanne is dying and wants to move back to Milwaukee WI where her children live in order to be with her family as much as possible in the short time she has left to live. In order to do this she wants to do the right thing and pay off her mortgage by selling her home. I suppose the average person would just let the bank take it back and not care but Joanne is different. She is doing all she can to do the right thing.

Joanne bought this home about three years ago and started to operate it as a business where she took care of severely dissabled persons as she is a nurse. The large 5 bedroom house is completely handicapped accessible and is located with 15 acres of farmland and outbuildings perfect for what she intended to do. She owes approx 237k on it and there was an appraisal in 2005 of 250k.

Unfortunely I would not have normally taken on a property like this in todays market. I took it only because I want to help her but in order to do that I really need the help of others.

I have some ideas and I am asking for your help.

Here is my plan and if you have one better please speak up.

I want to ask for donations from several individuals. My hope is to get 256 dollars from one thousand people or something like that. In order to pay off her mortgage. Then if we get enough to do this I want to sell her house and donate the proceeds from the auction to the ALS Foundation. If we don't raise enough money I would simply switch rolls and donate the raised money to ALS but I think with enough help the first will work out.

In return for your assistance I will include all of you who help as volunteers in any press coverage on this story. I think we'd all be doing a good thing. We've got a great person, a great story, and a lot of good things to do. I feel that anyone that helps deserves to benefit for your generosity.

I hope this isn't inappropriate for me to ask of the folks here but I thought I'd try to use as many of the resources I have in my life as possible.

BTW the home is with a realtor but the best offer was only 210k so far and we need to pay off the mortgage to make this work.

Thank You

ABW Ambassador
    Are you setup as a non-profit?

Why not sell her house and have people donate directly to the ALS Foundation? That way their donation isn't adjusted for what you sell the house for? I don't see the benefit of tying the two together.

That is a very good point. I am only in the ideas stage with this and welcome your input. Mostly I am looking for some assistance. I wonder if a match bid type idea would work out better.

associate with ALS
    In order to gain credibility and convince potential contributors that you are legit you should officially associate yourself and this "drive" with the ALS foundation. Many times charitable organizations will have their own network of supporters that you can tap into. I have a buddy who is hiking the AT in order to raise funds and awareness for autism. By getting directly involved with the local autism society he has a spot on their web site and access to everyone in their network.

Good luck!

I definately will check into that.

Thanks

She owes such a high percentage of the appraised value. What was this a 1% down loan? It is a really tough situation here. Is there a way that she can rent out the property and move back to Wisconsin? I just don't see how taking an asset that she truly only owns a small percentage of and turning it into no assets at all is really going to help her. Let me know if I missed something here.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by Heyder
    I have a favor to ask of anyone willing to help a very special person I recently met.
    So you just met that person recently?
    She is a customer that called me about selling her home. She's 61 years old has what she calls golden credit. Never a late payment and never missed one or burnt anyone in her life. She's not in financial trouble at all but needs to sell her house NOW. Two years ago she was diagnosed with ALS also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a fatal disease that is completely crippling and non treatable.
    She is a new customer of yours, she is not on any financial trouble at all, but needs (or wants) to sell her house NOW?
    I am an auctioneer and I specialize in the sale of real estate. I run advertisements in my area offering quick sales etc. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have run across all kinds of people in all kinds of situations as you might imagine.
    Life have forced me to have a vivid and wild imagination on many issues for the last few decades, so i think I know what you mean by that.
    Joanne can no longer speak or move any of her facial muscles. Our communication has been her handwritting to me while I try to carry the conversation with her in a manor I've never had to before. You can imagine it's a little uncomfortable at first but I feel I did well as this perfect stranger has managed to hug me four times already.
    Wow man, you sure have gone out of your way in order to help that lady!
    Joan is known around the world for her volunteer efforts to help other people. She is listed in a who's who listing in a major New York business magazine, she's helped with many missing children's campaigns, and many more things I don't have time to list.
    I don't know if I ever had read about her before, but if she is known around the world, maybe I have seen her before, but I not remember the name now.
    Joanne is dying and wants to move back to Milwaukee WI where her children live in order to be with her family as much as possible in the short time she has left to live. In order to do this she wants to do the right thing and pay off her mortgage by selling her home. I suppose the average person would just let the bank take it back and not care but Joanne is different. She is doing all she can to do the right thing.
    Well, if she really wants to move back to Milwaukee to be with her children's and family, in the short time she has left to live, there are two possible ways for her, to do the right thing. One, just pay the difference of the loan (13k) and forget about selling the house, or two, move back to Milwaukee and just let the bank collect the (13k) from her state when she's gone.
    Joanne bought this home about three years ago and started to operate it as a business where she took care of severely dissabled persons as she is a nurse. The large 5 bedroom house is completely handicapped accessible and is located with 15 acres of farmland and outbuildings perfect for what she intended to do. She owes approx 237k on it and there was an appraisal in 2005 of 250k.
    If that house was appraised for 250k on 2005, now three years later on 2008, I would believe that said property would be worth more now than three years ago, unless that farmland and outbuildings have deteriorated because of bad wheather or a bad neighborhood.
    Unfortunely I would not have normally taken on a property like this in todays market. I took it only because I want to help her but in order to do that I really need the help of others.

I have some ideas and I am asking for your help.

Here is my plan and if you have one better please speak up.

I want to ask for donations from several individuals. My hope is to get 256 dollars from one thousand people or something like that. In order to pay off her mortgage. Then if we get enough to do this I want to sell her house and donate the proceeds from the auction to the ALS Foundation. If we don't raise enough money I would simply switch rolls and donate the raised money to ALS but I think with enough help the first will work out.
    You say that if not enough money is raised, that what ever money is raised would be donated to a charitable foundation?

Now I am double confused!

In return for your assistance I will include all of you who help as volunteers in any press coverage on this story. I think we'd all be doing a good thing. We've got a great person, a great story, and a lot of good things to do. I feel that anyone that helps deserves to benefit for your generosity.

I hope this isn't inappropriate for me to ask of the folks here but I thought I'd try to use as many of the resources I have in my life as possible.

BTW the home is with a realtor but the best offer was only 210k so far and we need to pay off the mortgage to make this work.

Thank You
    Well, well...

Your plan is to ask 256 dollars from one thousand people, so you want to try to collect $256,000.00 Dollars in order to pay that lady morgage of 237k?

Everything is possible, and like they say: "If We Can Dreamed, We Can Have It"

But, that would leave a net of $19,000.00 Dollars in profit after the sale of the farn. (How much of those 19k would that lady get to keep?)

Here is one idea!

It would be a lot easier to just try to find 2000 people to just send you only $20.00 and that would amount to $40,000.00.

Take that best offer of 210k, add $17,000.00 from the $40,000.00 that those 2000 people send the $20.00, and then you will still have $23,000.00 left to split between that lady and the charitable foundation.

oops

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread