Blogging solutions
    I'm not sure whether we can even discuss blogging software solutions as it would require mentioning names, but I've see Wordpress mentioned and so here goes: I'm pretty green at the whole blogging thing and am considering establishing an affiliate site for a very specific, tight topic and am looking for recommendations from those of you who are experts as to where to go for the best "host". I already have a family (extended) blog on Wordpress and like the system, but understand that banner ads, etc. are not accepted there (on the .com side). So, please weigh in!

http and a telephoto
    Almost any host is fine for WordPress, and most offer one click installs of the software as well. You will get as many recomendations as there are hosting companies Your best bet is to do a search here for the hosting companies you are considering and see if anything bad has been discussed about them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

clarification
    Thanks Loxly, let me be clearer - I misspoke myself when I mentioned hosting. The solutions I was talking about were web-based, eg: wordpress, blogger, squarespace, etc. I wondered which of the above (and the many others available) might be recommended by those of you who've done this for a long time. sorry for the confusion.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    You can place banner ads on Wordpress if you buy your own hosting and upload the .org version. In fact if you are serious about the business I don't know why you wouldn't do that anyway.

you.blogspot.com= newb
    you.wordpress.com= newb with a bit of experience
    you.com= professional

http and a telephoto
    That is much clearer and much different that what I thought your original question was. And that said, read what ProWebAddict just said.

Free hosting looks like... free hosting. Doesn't look professional and never gives you as much control as you can get with your own hosted site.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    For clarity as well, even the paid blogging online *looks* like free to other folks, plus doesn't give you the control you have when you host on your own domain.
    Deborah Carney

I would definitely recommend that you download WordPress (current version is still 2.5, I think) from WordPress.org, register your own domain, find a hosting account, and go for it.

BTW -- Many (perhaps most?) web hosting accounts include "Fantastico," which is a really, really easy "almost-one-click" way to set up and install WordPress on your domain. I would check into that when you have a domain registered and are looking for a host. Installing WordPress from scratch really isn't hard at all, but if your webhost offers "Fantastico," quick and easy WP installation is a good idea for starting out.
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks!
    Good advice - I'll look around and do exactly what you've said. If I'm going to do this, I might as well do it right - even if it takes a little longer to learn. Thank you all for the input!!

ABW Ambassador
    Another option is using Blogger on one's own domain.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread