Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog vs. full fledged site
    I'm getting ready to start my second site and was wondering if I should just start a WordPress blog or build a full content-based site. I know a blog would be cheaper and probably easier but I'm wondering if it will build traffic and make the same kind of money in the long run.

Bitcom

who said a blog isn't a full fledged site

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Right, Wordpress is a powerful and easy way to manage the content for a whole site.

I think there's a bit of confusion here. To my thinking, a blog is a type of site, usually maintained by one person, offering content in a journal-like manner. Wordpress, and other CMSes are platforms on which you can build different types of sites, and not just blogs. I think you should first answer for yourself the question "What type of site do I want to build?" and then figure out the best way for you to make that happen

Sally

Quote Originally Posted by BitCom
    I'm getting ready to start my second site and was wondering if I should just start a WordPress blog or build a full content-based site. I know a blog would be cheaper and probably easier but I'm wondering if it will build traffic and make the same kind of money in the long run.

Bitcom
    I believe one can be as profitable as the other (whatever the technical definition). It all depends on the amount of traffic you can attract and the quality of the links you integrate.

X

Thanks everyone for responding. So I can have just as many pages with a Blog as a regular site? And if I want to write about different subjects within the same niche people can find the content easily.

Am I missing something? I always thought a blog only had one page with just all the posts as links on that one page.

Thanks everyone for responding. So I can have just as many pages with a Blog as a regular site? And if I want to write about different subjects within the same niche people can find the content easily.

Am I missing something? I always thought a blog only had one page with just all the posts as links on that one page.
    Each post has it's own page but may also appear on your frontpage til it rotates off ( if you have it set up that way). Each time I post to one of my blog it goes onto it's own page but I also have it set up so that my most recent 10 or so posts appear on my blog's first page. To make room for a new post the oldest post falls off front page but is still on it's own page.

Categories & tags make all posts easily found. You can also include search feature & site map.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

15 years and counting
    BitCom - I'm wondering if it will build traffic and make the same kind of money in the long run.
    You can transform a blog (wordpress) as a site or a site as a blog or any configuration between. It depends of the code behind the apperance and the db.
    Now if you compare a basic blog (built with a CMS) to a basic site (Built with Dreamweaver or Frontpage), I'll say you'll make more money with a site in the long run but faster money with a blog. It depends of the SEO behind the blog or the site.
    The blog will require constant updates to rank well, and a site will require less updates.
    To answer your question, to make long term money and get more long term traffic, my choice goes to a site. It will take you also longer to get that money.

ABW Ambassador
    Now if you compare a basic blog (built with a CMS) to a basic site (Built with Dreamweaver or Frontpage), I'll say you'll make more money with a site in the long run but faster money with a blog. It depends of the SEO behind the blog or the site.
    And a good part of SEO is the navigation of the site, is that right?

The main issue I see is that of duplicate content. There's a big difference in how the internal navigation is done, and how duplicate content issues can be dealt with, since with a blog platform the posts appear on several pages unless modifications are done. With a static site, like one done with DW or FP or even Notepad, the content appears on only one page.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I think there is more potential in a themed site that sells products. Blogs can be very profitable if you are an authority on a subject and its niche can be monetized easily.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    The blog will require constant updates to rank well, and a site will require less updates.
    Why would a [blog] web page page lose rank sooner than a [site] web page?

X

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    And a good part of SEO is the navigation of the site, is that right?

The main issue I see is that of duplicate content. There's a big difference in how the internal navigation is done, and how duplicate content issues can be dealt with, since with a blog platform the posts appear on several pages unless modifications are done. With a static site, like one done with DW or FP or even Notepad, the content appears on only one page.
    Can't you analyze this within the context of a single page? In other words, a website may have a multitude of individual pages but each page is indexed and ranks based on it's own merits. Not whether it's part of a blog site or part of an ecommerce site. Our ecommerce site has many product pages loosely tied to the basic theme of the site, but the products come under the heading of many unrelated categories and don't necessarily relate to any other products on the site. Some of the product pages rank well and others don't. It all depends on the competition (rank is based on competition; another subject) and the content of those competing pages, not necessarily those competing sites. Doesn't the same hold true for a blog site. Each page is ranked based on it's merits, not necessarily on the other pages on the same site or how the pages all link together.
    If you are mostly concerned with getting traffic to your home page, that's a whole different ball of wax. That to me would be most difficult unless the theme of the whole site is closely held. Especially on a blog site where the home page may regularly change. Unless there's some compelling reason to want people to visit your home page before any others, don't worry about it. If the site is well designed, whether a blog site or an ecommerce site, you can get your visitors to go where you want them to. I think if I were to develop a blog site I'd make the home page more static with teasers and a good story rather than post the latest entry in my blog.

Does this make any sense or am I totally missing it?

X

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Why would a [blog] web page page lose rank sooner than a [site] web page?
    I don't know exactly why, it's just my experience using blogs and sites. If you tweak enough your blogs or sites I'm sure you can get the opposite experience. I'm talking basic sites or blogs with basic SEO.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    I think there is more potential in a themed site that sells products. Blogs can be very profitable if you are an authority on a subject and its niche can be monetized easily.
    I use blogs to sell products. A blog is just a format. You could put sales or information content on one. A blog can be themed too.

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    I personally like a blog better. It is easier to update than a site. You can monetize a site blog just as easily as a website.
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

BitCom, as mentioned earlier, decide first what you want to accomplish with your new site. If you're opening an online store or other type of ecommerce site, then obviously a "conventional" site design would be best. If you're going to be posting mostly informational content for your visitors, then a blog would be the way to go. For flexibility, Wordpress (.org, not .com) is hard to beat for a blog platform.

Agree with all of the above... some great advice.

If you don't have tech limitations, a regular site (Dreamweaver, etc) can perhaps offer a little more flexibility (ohhh, all the wordpress users will be after me for that comment!). However sites that use Wordpress & other blog/cms apps are MUCH easier to launch, esp with the fantastic templates available. But for future development, your hands might be tied to the CMS.

As part of my own biz, I advise clients on which software would suit their website needs.. for my own, I use old school php/html, and it has delivered extremely good natural SERP. Full control over meta tags per page, unique content, no archive/duplicate post issue, etc. I'm able to add functionality well beyond add-ins & paid custom solutions. It does takes a little more time on a daily basis, but I can experiment with placement & shift items around more frequently.

it really isn't blog versus non-blog.
    The wonderful thing is you really don't have to decide between having "a blog" or a non-blog website.

You can do a mix of blog and non blog content (info and sales) on the same site with a bit of creativity. The only limitation is you, your creativity and your web design/programming skills.

I really don't think that you are more limited with Wordpress than using HTML with PHP since you CAN write your own plugins and basically anything else for it.

You just have the option to use plugins already made.

When you have a HTML+PHP site that doesn't use Wordpress
    (what do you think Wordpress uses, magic? no it uses PHP and HTML )

, you still need to figure out how to do or program everything.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    If you don't have tech limitations, a regular site (Dreamweaver, etc) can perhaps offer a little more flexibility (ohhh, all the wordpress users will be after me for that comment!). However sites that use Wordpress & other blog/cms apps are MUCH easier to launch, esp with the fantastic templates available. But for future development, your hands might be tied to the CMS.

I...was wondering if I should just start a WordPress blog or build a full content-based site.
    Why not have a site plus a blog?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

what do you think Wordpress uses, magic? no it uses PHP and HTML
    Yes it obviously does. But it's much easier to expand/change a free-form designed site that you have built yourself, than to unravel the location of template files, etc.

you still need to figure out how to do or program everything.
    My comment started with "if you don't have tech limitations".. so yes, some web skills are required to modify either.

As for add-ons, you can drop any script from hotscripts.com into a free-form designed site (not as easy in cms/blog apps). Developing your own plug-ins requires more skill than installing freeware scripts - however, on the side of cms/blogs, there are a wide variety of plug-ins out there.

I'm not going to continue my point after this, but free-form design is just that - original design, including layout, placement. The day to day update is not web-based, but utlimately you can make it anything you want without being tied to a specific platform. There is a real benefit to that, but it may not be for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I'm not going to continue my point after this, but free-form design is just that - original design, including layout, placement. The day to day update is not web-based, but utlimately you can make it anything you want without being tied to a specific platform. There is a real benefit to that, but it may not be for everyone.
    I agree with that point completely. My earlier post was to expand upon your earlier comment.

There are many different and valid ways to make great websites which may or may not include blog features. I'm glad we have the option to do-it-yourself and/or take advantage of different web-software.

ok.. can't help it, I'm hooked on this forum

It wouldn't be the same internet today if it weren't for blog software & cms apps - I've been in this business for years, and the point of entry has shifted tremendously as a result. People with little or no programming/design skills launching professional-looking sites in a matter of hours. I suppose it's part of the reason the expectations are so high.. "hey, anyone can launch a site now, so it should be pretty easy to make money"..

And here come the Web 2.0 apps...

Just want to make an observation regarding the "mechanics" of some of what we're talking about here.

In WordPress, a post has it's own page -- as mentioned above -- and it sits on a "front page" or entry page, scrolling off as other posts are added (you can even set that up differently if you wish, but that's how it works by default).

I think, however, more mention should be made of WordPress PAGES as well as posts. You can create a page separately from a post. It is an easy matter to create a WP page and populate it with whatever content you wish, just as you would a "static" HTML page.

SO -- as lostdeviant put it well, your combination of "blog" and "non-blog" on the same site becomes extremely easy and allows you all sorts of integration possibilities if you think about it awhile.

Fun, no? Fun YES!
    Generate more fake news.

Well, actually that isn't what I meant. I'm not disagreeing with you either.

I was thinking about how a site can be organized in different ways. You could have the home page as html or a php template (non-wp) and have wordpress in a subdirectory of your site or vice versa you could link to the html or php template pages from Wordpress.

You could also install forums, wikis, catalogs, other CMS, DIGG clones, chat rooms, and other specialty software all on the same site and in different combinations that meet your needs and goals.

You could write your own scripts in PHP, make your own plugins or extensions, or even use scripts you download from popular script sites.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Just want to make an observation regarding the "mechanics" of some of what we're talking about here.

In WordPress, a post has it's own page -- as mentioned above -- and it sits on a "front page" or entry page, scrolling off as other posts are added (you can even set that up differently if you wish, but that's how it works by default).

I think, however, more mention should be made of WordPress PAGES as well as posts. You can create a page separately from a post. It is an easy matter to create a WP page and populate it with whatever content you wish, just as you would a "static" HTML page.

SO -- as lostdeviant put it well, your combination of "blog" and "non-blog" on the same site becomes extremely easy and allows you all sorts of integration possibilities if you think about it awhile.

Fun, no? Fun YES!

Interesting thread. I have a two sites whose target market is Work At Home Moms (WAHMs). My JV partner (who also markets to this demographic) and I started a blog in 2007. At first it went great. We enthusiastically blogged for months... and then. Burnout. While we love our theme and focus, it became a "chore" to keep posting daily or even frequently. Let's face it, a blog inherently puts pressure on you to "post" and post often.

As we worked through our slump, we looked at the visitor side of things. We wondered, do visitors eventually feel the same thing? Do they feel "obligated" to read their favorite blogs each day/week?

We also looked at what blogs of ours were being read. Guess what? Very few blogs beyond the first page were being visited. Talking to other bloggers in a variety of fields, we learned that that's the case for most blogs. People rarely read more than the most recent content.

On the other hand, building a Web site with quality, relevant content and organized navigation gives visitors the opportunity to read pages on your site at any time, eliminating the "oh, this is old material" factor.

Blogs might be the way to go for those who provide news, have a hobby or daily inspiration, etc. Otherwise, building an ever growing Web site will stand the test of time and ultimately serve your business better.

From what my JV partner and I could tell, it's tough to keep old blog content ranked highly in the SEs too. You'll always be able to tweak and improve Web site based content. Not so easy with a blog post which is time relevant or 6 months down the blog roll.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast