ABW Ambassador
    Beware of 1 Day Cookie for CJ Programs
    I just received an email from Expedia which includes:
    Expedia has integrated a 7 day cookie for their affiliate program as opposed to the session based cookie we have been used to.
    While I'm pleased to hear this, this confirms that Expedia did not raise their cookie duration from a single session to a full day when they migrated from BeFree to CJ a few months ago, despite the fact that the CJ Advertiser Detail for Expedia says 1 day.

Travelocity was exactly the same when they migrated to CJ from BeFree last year. So despite the fact that Travelocity is listed with a 1 day cookie, it's likely for only the initial session.

I suspect it is the same for Hotels.com which is owned by Expedia.

Apparently CJ has no way of listing the cookie duration of less than a full day even though they allow it in their system. We frequently hear complaints of Linkshare merchants that have cookies under a full day but it appears that CJ has misled us by not disclosing that they do as well.

I doubt it was actually less than a 24 hour cookie. I just tried to create an action with a partial day cookie duration and got the following error message:
    # Action Referral Period must be an integer greater than 0 and less than 121
    Also, the advertiser help section in CJU online says:
    The advertiser's cookie duration setting in their account must also comply with their Web site logic. The minimum cookie duration period is 24 hours.
    As for
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Apparently CJ has no way of listing the cookie duration of less than a full day even though they allow it in their system.
    I'd just chalk this up to the merchant incorrectly stating what their previous action term was.

As for 1 day cookies in general, I don't like 'em. If an affiliate referred a sale, it's only proper to credit them for it. The minimum duration that I prefer is 7 days, with more being better. Rarely do I see any sales made after 2 weeks of cookies, but I like the option being there just in case a sale comes through

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for your comments, Joshua, including the quote from CJ's site. Sorry, but I don't believe what CJ says. As I said, Expedia always had a session cookie when they were with BeFree. There would be no reason for them to continue to refer to a session only cookie if it in fact has been a full day since they moved from BeFree to CJ.

Expedia is a huge program and CJ can always make exceptions.

Expedia batch reports, so it doesn't matter what CJ's site says the cookie duration. It's determined entirely on the merchant's end. Their newsletter says that it used to be just a single session and that they increased it to 7 days.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Then how can we trust the cookie duration listed for any batch merchant?

If Expedia can change theirs, why should we trust that any other batch merchant hasn't changed theirs as well?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Expedia batch reports, so it doesn't matter what CJ's site says the cookie duration. It's determined entirely on the merchant's end. Their newsletter says that it used to be just a single session and that they increased it to 7 days.
    Not sure what Expedia does, but some batch merchants that I know of simply report all sales tagged with a CJ PID, and then CJ's system automatically sifts that data and reports it to the interface based on whether a publisher is still active, and if the CJ cookie is still in effect based on the cookie duration listed in CJ.

Other merchants may be able to set a cookie on their own sites, and then only report transactions that fall in their own cookie duration, but I've only had merchant experience with the first example. The real way to check this would be to do a test transaction, or to check cookies that are set. I really have no idea what CJ requires, and the only way to find this out would be to call up CJ or Expedia's affiliate team, and talk to someone to confirm the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Then how can we trust the cookie duration listed for any batch merchant?

If Expedia can change theirs, why should we trust that any other batch merchant hasn't changed theirs as well?
    Believe in the power of CJ's merchant contract? That's all I can think of...

ABW Ambassador
    I have confirmed that Expedia did have a session-only based cookie until their recent increase to 7 days despite the fact that the Advertiser Detail says 1 day. This proves that CJ's contention that "Action Referral Period must be an integer greater than 0 and less than 121" is untruthful.

In my view, it's best to go on the assumption that any CJ merchant (or just batch merchants???) who lists a 1 day cookie may actually have a cookie that is less than a day in duration.

Joshua, want to address this with your CJ rep.?

I would think that single-network confirmation page pixel tracking merchants would match what the Advertiser Detail says for return days. With batch reporting merchants, it's all on the merchant's end so I wouldn't be surprised to see some discrepancies. With multi-network merchants, they probably already have code in place to show one network's pixel or another, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of those might not honor the full cookie duration either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread