ABW Ambassador
    Need Clarification of Linkshare Cookies
    I could have sworn I read recently that Linkshare only sets one cookie per merchant per 24 hour period per computer. Does anyone know if this is true and provide written documentation?

Is there any way to determine if a Linkshare merchant pays for only one sale per cookie or do they allow multiple occurrences through the return day period? CJ states this in the Advertiser Detail but I don't see where Linkshare does.

From my understanding, any "LinkShare" cookie is only for user/impression/click tracking. LinkShare cookies can be deleted and sales should still track. With LinkShare, each merchant is responsible for setting their own cookies, doing their own tracking, and batch reporting the sales back to LinkShare. This is all based on a series of posts several years ago from Steve Messer (where he originally claimed that LinkShare doesn't use cookies but it was revised to clarify that they don't use LinkShare cookies for sale tracking but that their merchants typically set cookies which are used for sale tracking).

Virtually all merchants anywhere but CJ are "multiple occurrence", but with LinkShare, once again, that is controlled entirely on the merchant's end. CJ is the only network I know of that facilitates "single occurrence" tracking (which is a really bad idea--both a network providing that option and merchants using it--IMHO).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    ..pays for only one sale per cookie or do they allow multiple occurrences through the return day period?
    When I was managing a LS program, I know that it is "multiple occurrences". I would do regular test on random within our program and but I would give them (affiliates) a heads up prior to the test. I have done back-to-back test in a day on the same affiliate. This is to test the tracking process and integrity of the prog.

To touch on tracking methods, I do not think there is a full proof of tracking unless one would utilize 2-3 safety nets and then cross ref each type of tracking. There is a lot of redundancy but more or less full proof. Take the best part from LS, CJ, PFx and SAS.

Two instances that comes to my mind.
    1) SAS-ARC and the check merchant. Merchant "accidentally" left out tracking code on thank you page. No transaction recorded at all. Can;t go back to archive, etc.
    2) LS-ECT. They had problems after problems with their LS trans. Good thing was they capture all transactions and stored it. Problem was reporting it to LS. I think last I heard, they close it down.

Either session, cookie or whatever, there is always a possibility of merchant screwing up. Personally, I like the LS trans as the info always there if something fails - you can still recover the info and send it over. Downside - you need to have an IT person in house which can be costly. Waiting for the next network to come up with a KISS tracking which is a hybrid of all.

Yep, I've been pushing several of the networks for dual-tracking (both a pixel and batch reporting) to eliminate most of the tracking problems that come with just one or the other, but so far none have moved forward with it. It would be a fairly major task.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread