Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Advertising here at abestweb--how have your results been--truthfully
    I see that there are various options here for advertsiing, having a forum, having an email blast sent out etc. Keeping in mind that my area is in one of the more competive spaces, what advertising avenues here at abw would you recommend, and how have affiliates done for you that you recruited and signed up via abw? Did you have a tracking URL for this specifically so you can track results?

My post count here isn't high enough yet, so if you want to pass this info to me via a pm, I won't be able to get that info.

Back in August of 2005 when I was comtemplating starting my first affiliate program support forum here, I agreed to pay the $2,000/yr thinking that it'd be worth it if I get at least 400 affiliates (I figured that I'd be happy to pay $5 per every recruited affiliate). The year-end analysis showed that in that particular affiliate program [a very niche one, I should tell you] we acquired 700+ new affiliates (most due to the ABestWeb private label forum and being active on it), and over 60% of the Christmas season sales in that year were referred by affiliates... You may read other merchants' testimonials at this page (you'll find them to be quite similar).

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Geno.

http and a telephoto
    There are more eyeballs here than anywhere else, your advertising efforts are well worth the spend, if you have a clean program, regardless of niche. The key is to be active here and not just drop and run. Affiliates here (and the ones that lurk and never post) want to see participation from merchants, so they can build a level of trust. Buying advertising, and having a forum if it is appropriate for you, is a way to start building that trust, and getting yourself in front of lots of great affiliates.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have 15 programs and a forum here. They all get regular sign-ups. If you use the email blasts let Haiko make recommendations on the subject line and when to send. One of the best opportunities are the messages in the emails that are sent to forum subscribers.

As an affiliate I have looked at and joined several merchants who have advertized on this forum, If I never saw their banner here I may have never joined their program.

Just look at their stats:

Discussions: 96,913 Messages: 800,347 Members: 43,122 Newest: Kmcfarlane Online: 3067

They have over 3067 people on line right now!!

Not trying to thread hijack, but this is great (and timely) information to know. I am a merchant (as well as an affiliate) and I am trying to decided where to spend our advertising budget.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    ABW is one of the most powerful Affiliate program branding tools at your disposal. Just the link popularity alone you'll get from sponsoring a forum will be worth your investment.

We have exact proof of concept, as we primarily used our presence here to build our brand in the Affiliate space from scratch around 2.5 years ago.

Affiliate Manager
    OK thanks all. I was not sure as many of the forums I looked at have not had any recent posts and appear to be quite dormant. I guess many lurkers just read up and do not actually post in the respective merchant forums.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefe3
    OK thanks all. I was not sure as many of the forums I looked at have not had any recent posts and appear to be quite dormant. I guess many lurkers just read up and do not actually post in the respective merchant forums.

eljefe, affiliate marketing only gives what you put into it. Although the dormant forums will generate some traffic and signups, the ones who have affiliate managers that participate on a regular basis are the ones that have the best results.

EMS had a forum open up today and all of the sudden we got a nice flow of new signups from very targeted affiliates and sites.

IMO, it is more than worth the money, but you also have to put the time and effort into keeping it alive.

Affiliate Manager
    >>eljefe, affiliate marketing only gives what you put into it

I've been in the game for 10 years and ran a program that did 8 figures in sales per year, so I'm quite aware of the concept. I was just wondering about this forum in particular as I'd say at least half of the programs that have a sub board here have most recent post dates showing older than a day. I think that there are a ton of lurkers who peruse, but don't post, so this could be the reason.

I am glad that those that have chimed in here say it's worth it, because I thought it was worth it too.

Would anyone be kind enough to share which advertising option provides the best ROI?
    Thinking of starting with the banner impressions, but would consider other options if they provided a good return.

thanks

Get a forum. Good affiliates ask good questions.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    Would anyone be kind enough to share which advertising option provides the best ROI?
    Thinking of starting with the banner impressions, but would consider other options if they provided a good return.
    The best return doesn't come from pure advertising, but from helping your affiliates to succeed. If you look at ABW as just a place to advertise, you will probably be disappointed. If you look at ABW as a community where you can learn, build relationships with affiliates, improve your program, and help your affiliates to succeed, you'll do far, far better. See this thread.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    which advertising option provides the best ROI
    I always tell folks that by sponsoring a forum here, you'll get your ROI in link popularity alone. But what Michael just said is very important in terms of maximizing what you're doing here.

We are still rather small...and learning. Our site is more developed than our affiliate program. Advertsing $$$ does not flow as easily for us. How about some of the lesser options, like the 10k banner impressions and the new affiliate programs announcement forum. How has you experience been with these if you used either.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Guinn; May 14th, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: correct a grammar mistake

We did well with the new program announcement. I think that's a no brainer.
    So we're looking at the next option, 10k banner ads. Impressions go really fast, so I was looking to find out what kind of return I could expect. Obviously, not looking for a "monetary" return, but clickthroughs. Then we'll consider moving on to the more expensive options.

I am new and launching a program this June. Thanks for all of your input. I definitely will advertise on ABW but realize that ABW is a community and participation is just as important. Good stuff... much appreciated

Affiliate Network Rep
    Very interesting thread. Definitely seems that everyone is a big fan of the ABW advertising - expect to see from advertising from me very soon.

Do you guys find it's best to combine? (IE: do a email announcement with a link to your private forum, or do a new program announcement with a link to your private forum) or are those only going to kinda cross each other out?

Definitely combine, but do not forget that participation is your key.

G.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Definitely combine, but do not forget that participation is your key.

G.
    Definitely. Get as much out as you put in..I read that somewhere and believe in it fully...

Do most members read their program announcement emails from ABW? Are they 'spammish' or considered useful/good to read?

Watch out for this nickn guy. I've known him for years. He is one sharp cookie. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing alot of him on here and in person and in Miami/Las Vegas. He is grabbing this AM thing buy the horns
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryFuelPatrick
    Watch out for this nickn guy. I've known him for years. He is one sharp cookie. I have a feeling we are going to be seeing alot of him on here and in person and in Miami/Las Vegas. He is grabbing this AM thing buy the horns

Hi Patrick! While I'm -definitely- looking forward to Vegas and Miami (the fun convention cities!) I'll also be in Boston!

You are right though, I'm taking this all by the horns...

I already recommended it once in this thread, but once again I'd like to recommend:

Get The Most Out of ABW

Think of ABW as a community, not just a place to advertise.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Network Rep
    Michael,

Your posts are amazingly helpful. I've been reading through all. I've already purchased the private forum (which I found does include an email blast and some banner rotation).

You'll be seeing it online as soon as I take all your advice into consideration and make a few changes.

Although I can say I feel our affiliate program is strong, and follows most of this advice, it's five years in the making, just with minimal presence outside of our niche.

Thanks again!

(Sorry to hijack this thread..)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast