ABW Ambassador
    All of These New Small Merchants
    Has anyone noticed an increase recently in the number of new merchant programs and they are mostly all small merchants?

I can't help but wonder if this is in conjunction with the Google acquisition of Doubleclick/Performics. Are Google's referral advertisers being encouraged to join Performics?

Google is known to incentivize web merchants to get them signed up (read Google Checkout).

Performics got aggressive right before Aff Summit. Sent out packages to OPMs and what not. Certainly could be a google influence, but I think their chachke budget went way up too.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

heres' what they did: when merchants sign up with Perfomics, they had to have the PF team manage the affiliate program. then they decided to offer the platform without the program management. this allowed many more merchants, many small, use the service and have the management be in house, or OPM, like Chuck Hamrick, i think he has about 5 or so programs.

so now merchant can make a choice

ABW Ambassador
    Good info. skishore! I absolutely hate it when networks manage the programs. Those are the ones that frequently have the most problems in my experience. I know the niche within which I work from personal experience. Networks may know affiliate marketing but they are not experienced in a specific industry's niche and they just don't monitor things effectively because they have multiple responsibilities that are not specific to a single merchant.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Good info. skishore! I absolutely hate it when networks manage the programs. Those are the ones that frequently have the most problems in my experience. I know the niche within which I work from personal experience. Networks may know affiliate marketing but they are not experienced in a specific industry's niche and they just don't monitor things effectively because they have multiple responsibilities that are not specific to a single merchant.
    Not to mention the split loyalties. Network employees managing merchant programs in many cases give the interests of the network priority over the best interests of the merchant, and of the affiliates, when issues arise.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I usually don't mind if the network manages the program, i try to know who those managers are and can get the info i need. sometimes it is good and others not so much. keep in mind though that merchants who sign up for the network managed program choose that for a reason, they don't have the staff, they don't want to dedicate internal resources, etc. its always at the direction of the merchant, after all they pay the networks.

ABW Ambassador
    I absolutely agree with AffiliateHound and have said this before. It's a clear conflict of interest that would disappear if there was oversight of the affiliate marketing industry. There is none so networks (and merchants) are able to get away with things that other industries would never tolerate.

I have less of a problem with a small merchant using the network to manage their affiliate programs. If the merchant just chooses to not staff it themselves, that's where I have a problem. Large companies should not outsource their affiliate program to the network.

Split loyalties = conflicts of interest.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

In the past year, we have launched many AffiliateDirect clients. You can find more information in this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ffiliatedirect

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Customer Support
    312-739-0681
    jaross[at]doubleclick.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Has anyone noticed an increase recently in the number of new merchant programs and they are mostly all small merchants?
    I think affiliate marketing is a natural choice for small merchants and a logical first step in marketing. My personal opinion is that affiliate marketing is still in its infancy and still not fully understood. As it becomes more accepted as a mainstream marketing tool more and more small merchants will join the ranks. It allows us to build brand awareness without spending 100’s of thousands on traditional marketing that could be hit or miss. Personally I would rather build thousands of small personal relationships that individually don’t have as much effect on my bottom line, but as a whole create a marketing and revenue generating machine that is unstoppable.

I often read these threads about merchants cleaning house with affiliates that don’t produce sales or clicks. My AM is going to strangle me for saying this, but what’s the point? Someone has taken the time to sign-up for your program, obviously believes in your product and just because it may be a hobby for them that they spend an hour on a week you’re just going to give them the axe? It doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t cost anything to keep them in the program.

If you would have asked me 9 months ago how I was going to market my product I would of told you “Radio & Internet”. Not knowing that when I was referring to internet I really meant affiliate marketing without even knowing it.

My point is that knowing what I know now I wouldn’t trade my affiliates in for the best Ad Agency in New York. Plus I know that my marketing dollars are going to people that believe in me and our products and they deserve to be rewarded for that.

So yes I believe there will be a major influx of small merchants.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread