No credit for sale at Target when fulfilled by Amazon
    Well, I just learned something new. I don't link to Amazon products at Target, but last week I had a small sale appear with no commission. It turns out somebody purchased a DVD through Target that was fulfilled by Amazon, and so no credit for the sale. Funny how the reverse isn't true. When I make a sale for Target through Amazon, Amazon pays a commission.

So, be careful adding Target products to your site. If the page displays the box that says "Brought to you by Amazon" don't link to it because you won't get credit for the sale.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    That was stated in the old Target merchant section at Linkshare. Do not recall seeing it posted on Performics.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

Target.com clearly states in their terms and conditions and their Advertiser profile in ConnectCommerce that they do not offer publisher commission on Amazon products or Gift Card purchases. To view their terms and conditions please click on this link:

http://image.comms.doubleclick.com/m...ev12-24-07.pdf

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Customer Support

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Well, I just learned something new. I don't link to Amazon products at Target, but last week I had a small sale appear with no commission. It turns out somebody purchased a DVD through Target that was fulfilled by Amazon, and so no credit for the sale. Funny how the reverse isn't true. When I make a sale for Target through Amazon, Amazon pays a commission.

So, be careful adding Target products to your site. If the page displays the box that says "Brought to you by Amazon" don't link to it because you won't get credit for the sale.
    Interesting, indeed. In six years I don't recall ever having a "zero commission" transaction through Amazon.

I have done very little with Target but am planning to expand into some of their areas. With your example and the Target TOS, I suppose it will behoove me to actually use Amazon links for many Target products. An added benefit would be that eBates, Upromise, etc. "reminders" can't get involved in any of the transactions. So, when I send a customer who actually makes a purchase, I will ACTUALLY receive a commission - and that would be a good thing.

Thanks, Tracy and Jamie. I appreciate your pointing that out.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClick Performics Moderator
    Hello,

Target.com clearly states in their terms and conditions and their Advertiser profile in ConnectCommerce that they do not offer publisher commission on Amazon products or Gift Card purchases. To view their terms and conditions please click on this link:

http://image.comms.doubleclick.com/m...ev12-24-07.pdf

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
    That's all well and good, and Target is certainly entitled to set its own TOC.

What you did not tell us is why we should create links to Target instead of Amazon.com for Target products. By its own TOC, it seems that it would be to our benefit to link to Amazon since we receive (1) commissions for all sales at Target from Amazon, (2) the more sales we make, the higher our tiered commission at Amazon, (3) we receive credit for everything a visitor purchases, including gift cards at Amazon, (4) creating links to Amazon is much easier than creating links to Target since you still haven't turned the BYOL feature back on for Target, and (5) the links always land on the item page at Amazon (even if sold out), whereas using the Target datafeed is a hit and miss proposition.

I have identified quite a number of new Target products I want to add to my site. And I'm wondering why I should put myself through the complexity of creating the links at Performics for Target instead of just linking to them through Amazon, which is much faster and simpler to do.

So, Jamie, I'd appreciate hearing your argument as to why it would be better to link to Target over Amazon.com.

Google Affiliate Network Rep Google Affiliate Network Moderator's Avatar
    Hello,

I will send your feedback to the Target team for review.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Be aware that Amazon gets 8-15% of the sale, they also keep the funds two weeks.

Here's the best part they get their % on the shipping costs also.

That's probably why they can't pay
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Except that Amazon hosts all of Target's images. Also, Target uses other Amazon technology like 1-Click checkout. My guess is that Target has a special arrangement that most sellers on Amazon don't get. I'd venture to guess that Amazon doesn't get a cut of the S&H charges as they do when someone like you or I sells stuff there.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread