Affiliate Manager
    How Social Networking Could Kill Web Search as We Know It
    Interesting ideas in this article:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4259135.html
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    The problem with these types of articles is - "Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Second Life, LinkedIn" aren't search engines. Search engines aren't going anywhere but they can always adapt to changes, like adding video to search and things like that. When I search for something, I don't want my choices to be limited, I want them to be from a place that crawls and indexes as much of the internet as possible.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One of the big problems I see in the "social search" concept is that it's not taking a few basic points into account:

1) If you gain an interest in something new, that none of your "circle" is interested in, you're screwed. Especially if you're curious, but not excited enough about the subject to become a member of a different group, that is highly interested in it.

For example, most groups aren't too friendly to those who just pop in to do a curiosity-check. If I want to do something like verify (or find disproof of) something I saw in the game Rome Total War, I don't want to have to become pals with a bunch of historians to do it. I just want to look up a few pages by .edus in a regular SE, grab the real facts about the event in question, and be on my way.

2) You may want to search for something you don't want your social circle to know about. This may not even be a "bad" thing, per se...just something that clashes with your main circle's mindset. For example if someone's friends with a bunch of people highly loyal to [political party A] it's not going to go over if said friends can see their searches for ["volunteering at political party B"].

3) It compartmentalizes information too much. One of the good things about the net as it currently is, is that it's fairly easy to stumble into information that you wouldn't have intentionally sought out (an effect that's especially pronounced on Wikipedia).

I also agree with Trust that a social-based site is too limited in general to serve as a decent search method. Even if everyone's interested in the same thing, if a group only has each other to ask for info, it won't take long to reach the end of the data if there isn't some efficient way to bring more info in from "outside."
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Hey, I haven't seen an article spouting the death of search engines for, like, months! If I want actual information, I go to wikipedia, if I want to buy stuff, I go to google, msn or yahoo, whoever is giving the best results du jour.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Manager
    Sure enough, the article's title is a bit unnecessarily provocative. But the core idea doesn't seem so much about Google going away, but rather that there's an opportunity for it to be radically altered for more personalized SERPs.

The article links to an interview with the lead search engineer at Google which was worth reading:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4259137.html

This quote in that interview seemed to sum up the core of this well:
    "The art of ranking is one of taking lots of signals and putting them together. Signals from your friends are better signals, stronger signals."

I agree with Leader that there are some clear downsides to this approach, but for better or worse it seems social networking sites will impact SERPs over the long term, and it'll be interesting to see exactly how that plays out.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Interesting ideas in this article: How Social Networking Could Kill Web Search as We Know It
    Richard,

Stop Spreading Bad News!

Back on 04 after I have learned how to use WM, some people started to spread the bad news about the SE's and datafeeds sites. That bad news gained so much publicity that I think G. and the other SE's decided to go for it.

Well, for about one year later, I heard the same people that was spreading that bad news, begun to complain that the SE's was putting their datafeeds pages on supplemental hell hole.

Since I was a newbie at datafeeds at that time, when I saw all those people that were supposed to be more experienced than me at datafeeds, complainig about the hell hole while I was doing ok, I thought to myself: "I must be doing something right with my new knowledge of how to make my datafeed's work", because my pages are still out there on top of the SE's.

But anyway, while most of my datafeed pages have joined the rest of those bearers of bad news on the hell hole, at least I can still claim that I still have a couple of those first datafeed pages on where I am ok with.

Btw, coming from the field of electronics, I know that Negative is suppose to attract the Positive, but in this business... when the , usually the get so , that eventually, some of the begin to for some people.

But if worse come to worse and if social networking kill the web search, then I will proudly still keep singing: You Must Click Here If You Want To Know what I am singing now!

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread