Anybody Experiencing Poor Sales This Year!
    We promote mainly shops that sell physical products in the US and uses SAS and CJ. Last December, we had our best month ever and then In January, sales suffered a large >50% drop. This is odd since in the past, sales were usually even better in January than December as people redeem coupons or spend their christmas money. Since then, it had yet to recover.

We also put adsense ads on our affiliate sites and the earnings have hardly been affected during this period. I don't think many of our merchants have closed. I am a bit concerned whether it has anything to do with the economic problems in the U.S.?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaden
    Anybody Experiencing Poor Sales This Year!
    Nope.

(Sorry I don't have anything more thought-provoking to add )

You didn't mention your site traffic, how has that been...? Is traffic lower, or have conversions dropped ..?

Keep in mind, google has been shifting things around a lot these past couple of months. Are you optimizing your natural SERP, etc..? Or have you lost traffic from previous sources that could account for the drop..? Just some initial thoughts...

ABW Ambassador
    Things are pretty consistent here. This is my best April ever.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I just wish my merchant clients would slow down on me having to add new products to their eCatalogs. They're all selling at a 1/30 conversion ratio on items up to $50. Sales of higher priced items ($100+) have slowed but the conversion ratios and sales volumes for my regular clients haven't taken any bad economy hits.

Now my affiliate site merchant sales aren't anything to brag about. Hard to equate doubling sales every year for 5 years straight on a limited exposure productline like suspenders to the piss poor performace of mainstay network merchants. Then again I get to see daily server and sales stats of my merchant clients so everything is transparant.... unlike the affiliate marketing side of things.

I added 2 new pages of products last weekend for a merchant and today they own the top SERPs for every buying keyword phrase so PPC expenses aren't a big expense. Googlers seem to prefer buying from non-sponsor links by a huge percentage for my clients so kudos to those PPCSE affiliates getting profitable click/sale results.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I would assume from your comment that adsense revenues have not been affected - that your traffic has not been the problem, so don't know what else to tell ya.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Our sales are in line with expectations across the board.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

ABW Ambassador
    GOOG's just released quarterly report shows resilience of internet advertising / shopping

Thanks for your response. It is very difficult for us to check this out as we have many sites involved. Although the adsense earnings remained the same, it does not necessarily mean that traffic to our best performing merchants had not been affected. Also it seems that a few of our best performing merchants have closed their programs.

There has been a lot of debate on e-commerce forums about this. A lot of merchants had indeed reported poor sales, but they are trying to cover it by increasing their PPC spending.

On the other hand, there is also an argument that a poor economy and higher fuel prices would be good for e-commerce, as people may use their cars less often and search for the best deals on the Internet.

Either way, I think this is definitely a very testing period for foreign affiliates, especially those currencies have risen considerably agains the US dollar.

ABW Ambassador

On the other hand, there is also an argument that a poor economy and higher fuel prices would be good for e-commerce, as people may use their cars less often and search for the best deals on the Internet.
    Good point

Either way, I think this is definitely a very testing period for foreign affiliates, especially those currencies have risen considerably agains the US dollar.
    Easier to import from the US now than ever. Falling currency is a double edged sword.

I'm not seeing the same results, to be honest.. this is a record quarter for my sites. It's not related to economic factors, but an increased share/presence in my niche.

While I think the economy & foreign exchange may have some bearing on US affiliate performance, online shopping is still such a small part of overall retail sales that I believe there are still lots of opportunities out there. This comment is based on my own experience (my numbers are backing this up).

Performance within your own segment (ie. relative to your competitors) is as important as overall industry performance. Why not look for an increase in your market share.. this is why I was asking about SERP & traffic... I'm not as concerned about overall sales of a merchant if I'm driving more now than I was before (and more than the other guy!).

I'd have to agree with the last post regarding online sales opportunities. There has been a lot of news lately that online spend will grow, despite economic woes. This article in Media Week even goes so far as saying it's "recession-proof."

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1003727162

Cheers to that!
    Nicki

Nicki Hayes
    Online Manager at Memolink
    Last edited by nickiatmemolink; April 18th, 2008 at 11:52 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    There was a keynote discussion (on 2nd day of ad-tech) that talked about advertising spend in the big R (recession) environment

Almost all panelists indicated that the recession may ACCELERATE the shift from OFFLINE to more measurable targeted ONLINE spending .. So, that may bode well for Google and the rest of the internet.

Recession may have a COUNTER effect on some segments.

Personally I believe, everything will get affected negatively in a recession. This for online shopping may mean growth rates MODERATING a bit .. The key is still that the ONLINE SHOPPING is still expected to GROW despite the OVERALL economy recessing.

My sales have been up in some areas yet down in others. There is no question that I have seen a shift in the flow. As far as the economy and online spending it is complex, when times are hard people tend to focus their spending on things they need over things they desire, and that is directly related to the product you are selling. With fuel prices so high location and shipping comes into play, the cost to fill up a tractor trailer is well over $1000.00 shipping rates are sure to continue to rise until fuel prices drop.

Location comes into play with the customers proximity to the store. I shop a lot online but I also live only a half mile from a major shopping center, if the price of the product online is the same at the store the shipping cost makes no sense while for people in another area it would.

I also believe that a recession hurts every area of the economy just in different ways. When consumers start counting pennies as prices rise and their spending focuses on needs instead of wants, what you are marking will effect your sales.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    My sales have been up in some areas yet down in others. There is no question that I have seen a shift in the flow. As far as the economy and online spending it is complex, when times are hard people tend to focus their spending on things they need over things they desire, and that is directly related to the product you are selling. With fuel prices so high location and shipping comes into play, the cost to fill up a tractor trailer is well over $1000.00 shipping rates are sure to continue to rise until fuel prices drop.

Location comes into play with the customers proximity to the store. I shop a lot online but I also live only a half mile from a major shopping center, if the price of the product online is the same at the store the shipping cost makes no sense while for people in another area it would.

I also believe that a recession hurts every area of the economy just in different ways. When consumers start counting pennies as prices rise and their spending focuses on needs instead of wants, what you are marketing will effect your sales.
    I agree and try to cut advertising costs while making conversions go through the roof. Imagine the savings if you could make the product models take orders in a pay-phone booth on a commission basis.... rather then pay the going modeling rate.

Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

We promote mainly shops that sell physical products in the US and uses SAS and CJ. Last December, we had our best month ever and then In January, sales suffered a large >50% drop. This is odd since in the past, sales were usually even better in January than December as people redeem coupons or spend their christmas money. Since then, it had yet to recover.

We also put adsense ads on our affiliate sites and the earnings have hardly been affected during this period. I don't think many of our merchants have closed. I am a bit concerned whether it has anything to do with the economic problems in the U.S.?
    Sounds like you might need to take a look at your competition and see if they are doing something differently than you that is closing the sale.

This is the best year yet for my lists and I'm working hard to milk it for every dime.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread