Thats it! I am done.
    With the kids, that is. I have stayed at home for the past 5+ years doing the affiliate thing PT during the day/night/late night in order to take care of our two kids. Now that our youngest child has reached toddler age, it is time to make a change.

Quite frankly, I am happy this stage is over. Glad I could do it, but tired. Having the day fragmented by the many needs of the kids and then trying to do AdWords campaigns, site design, and product reviews wasn't easy from the beginning with one child and it never got much easier due to the arrival of the second child. One thing this has done is make me an above average muti-tasker, that's for sure.

So, I am signing my son up for daycare. He needs the interaction with other kids and will undoubtedly benefit from the environment. Or the way I look at it sometimes: 'School sucks and you might as well get used to it now'. lol. Joking aside, he will probably have a great time and meet lots of new friends. I am excited for him.

Therefore I have some "spare" time upcoming. I had anticipated this a couple of weeks ago and that is why I posted the new signature regarding OPM. I just want to be part of a team again. I am not sure where it will lead or even if I might go out to find a j*b somewhere instead. There are a few places in the PIT area that I have my eye on. I am a little unsure how to present the affiliate marketing experience to them, as many people often confuse this with MLM or using "pop-ups" or e-books. Let's just say there is some mass confusion that exists and I hope this doesn't detract from a resume.

Admittedly, I am a little rusty after 5 years in the "goo-goo, ga-ga" environment but I don't regret being a part of my kids early lives. Not everyone is in a scenario where they can stay/work from home and I was just lucky affiliate marketing was something I came across. It was the quick redirect that I noticed one day in my browser that made me investigate it. I wanted to know for what reason I was transferred to a weird looking CJ domain when clicking on a banner, and then to the merchant's site. My investigation ended up being an income stream. Funny how things work out sometimes.

I will quit as an affiliate if offered an OPM or local AM position. I believe that is the correct thing to do. If I secure another type of job (my schooling was in Aerospace Management and Business Administration) then I will hang on to my affiliate sites. The worst that could happen is that they would die abruptly but the best scenario would be that they continue to supplement the household income. I might even sell one or two, who knows. There has already been interest shown and I might just follow up on that.

Ultimately, I would love to use my skills and knowledge in a position that utilizes online marketing. This is what I have done for a while. I am better than the average person at it and it is rewarding. The only thing is that being an affiliate is a lonely job. I don't want to be lonely anymore. I want to be part of a team somewhere, somehow. An affiliate team, an OPM team, whatever. Got an idea? Let me know.

During the next few weeks I plan on listing the rest of my eBay inventory left over from my Powerseller days too. If you are looking for some good deals on anything ranging from high end baseball cards to new children's clothing to Apple notebooks (not the computer...real Apple-logo portfolio notebooks) and more, let me know. I will email you a link to my listings and then give you 10% off the final auction amount due to you being a member of ABW. I have tons of stuff and not much time. Therefore most of my auctions will be no reserve.

So, I would like to ask everyone here to please keep me in their thoughts as I go through this transition period. I am unsure as to what lies ahead. If you hear of any positions that I might be a good fit for, please PM me or e-mail me at the address below.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone here at ABW. I wish I would have had this environment during all of my affiliate activities. Trust and Snib referred me here and 6 months later I became the Best New ABW Member '07. Hopefully, my career path will let me hang around for a lot longer. You simply can't find a better collection of talent focused on affiliate marketing. Regardless if I am here for a lot longer or just for a while longer, I want everyone to know how special they are and how I appreciate having the ability to "hang out" with my associates here at ABW. Thanks everyone!

-sfcom
    affdad/@/live.com

http and a telephoto
    Transitions can be hard, but they are usually good in the end. Good luck along whichever path you end up on. I was a stay at home/work at home mom for a long time, until my divorce. Back in the day there wasn't affiliate marketing yet, but I was a professional wedding photographer and only worked away from home on weekends.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Take the award and run, huh?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

If you want to be in a team and still do affiliate marketing (rather than OPM), why don't you hire some employees and expand? Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

sfcom good luck in your transition. I have enjoyed reading your threads and will be sad to see you go. As far as the resume thing goes I would use this post as your cover letter

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Take the award and run, huh?
    No. I guess to be more clear I should state that I will either have more time for ABW or less time for ABW. Just kind of depends on what fate holds for me. Regardless, I will never just leave ABW. Worst case is I will only check in a few times/week. Best case is I get involved with a company and help promote their program(s) here. Uncertainty definitely makes you stronger. I just can't do this alone anymore. 5+ years is enough to drive anyone crazy. People are fun to hang around and teamwork is good. At least that is what my inner robot says. lol.

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    I just can't do this alone anymore. 5+ years is enough to drive anyone crazy. People are fun to hang around and teamwork is good. At least that is what my inner robot says. lol. sfcom
    Run to the light SFC, run to the light!! I can imagine the toll it takes on a mom or pop to work at home and raise kids at home concurrently! Did it ourselves for our three sons until they were school age. The interaction they will have with other kids is a good thing - and it needs to start sooner or later. Remembering our own, it is exciting about your youngest being ready for pre-school. It'll be a kick for you all.

Good luck in your new direction and your re-entry into team interaction. Enjoy the transition and the energy it creates for you.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I've enjoyed reading and learning from your posts sfcom. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good luck in whatever direction you head, SFcom! It'll feel really good to have the freedom on no little ones to watch after.

You could probably do even better at AM now that you'll have total focus. But yeah, it's a lonely profession and if you feel the need for interaction and we're not enough for you, go find a j*b and have a boss. *shudder*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Good luck in whatever direction you head, SFcom! It'll feel really good to have the freedom on no little ones to watch after.

You could probably do even better at AM now that you'll have total focus. But yeah, it's a lonely profession and if you feel the need for interaction and we're not enough for you, go find a j*b and have a boss. *shudder*
    Or, you could just hang out at AA meetings and let them think you are one of the group? I hear a lot of AM's are in these groups, so you might make a lot of new buddies!! Besides, I've read that they serve cookies and coffee at the meetings - no charge!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Run to the light SFC, run to the light!! I can imagine the toll it takes on a mom or pop to work at home and raise kids at home concurrently! Did it ourselves for our three sons until they were school age. The interaction they will have with other kids is a good thing - and it needs to start sooner or later. Remembering our own, it is exciting about your youngest being ready for pre-school. It'll be a kick for you all.

Good luck in your new direction and your re-entry into team interaction. Enjoy the transition and the energy it creates for you.
    My mom owned her own beauty salon that employed 10 beauticians for 16 years AND did so while raising my older sisters. She literally would be working while carrying one of them on her hip and watching the older one in the shop. She tells me that got old really fast. LOL. Guess where I got my entrepreneurial spirit from (despite her telling me how hard it was).

I sit here at my laptop working with no other distractions than the singing birds outside (and the occasionally squawking budgies or whiney beaglador inside), but I can imagine what it's like to have the constant distractions that kids generate. I hope you find something satisfying, whether it's a j*b, an OPM position, or just a partner to work your current projects with.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    If you want to be in a team and still do affiliate marketing (rather than OPM), why don't you hire some employees and expand? Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
    Thanks for your thoughts. My initial verdict on that is that I would have to find talent immediately that produces quickly. Everyone I know in affiliate marketing is already doing a million different projects. All of their time is absorbed with what they are currently doing. (Or possibly it just seems that way.)

Basically, I don't have time to teach someone who might be interested or might not be. They would have to be dead serious on wanting to do affiliate marketing. It took me years to learn what I know and it is still a bunch of trial and error sometimes. I'd be all for it if I knew I could get someone without any learning curve. They would start producing immediately and the commissions would start rolling in immediately also. I just don't think that is going to happen.

My largest check was over $4800 for one month and my smallest was $1.36 (Linkshare when I first started-lol.) There are not many people out there in the world that work on commission only and no benefits. We are nuts. I see it as very difficult to attract a quality employee at a rate of pay that I would feel comfortable giving. Not impossible. (Actually, the prospects would be better if offshoring talent) But, I think I am just concerned that problems in talent/production/oversight might occur and I don't know if it is worth it right now to go that route. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

-sfcom

Or, you could just hang out at AA meetings and let them think you are one of the group? I hear a lot of AM's are in these groups, so you might make a lot of new buddies!! Besides, I've read that they serve cookies and coffee at the meetings - no charge!!
    Yeah.....I read that as well yeah I read it .....or wait....oh thats right, yeah a friend told me that...yeah thats it....

Good Luck - I know the choice is hard - I had to make the same one 14 years ago except I went the other way and decided to be full time stay at home Dad. A decision I will never regret even though finacially it was difficult for the first 13 and half years

Your to good do to ever leave ABW!

PS: If I could afford you I would hire you in a heart beat!

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Best of luck to you!

You were truly blessed to have all of that time at home with your children and now it's time for you to stretch a bit and find something else to do - either by getting a job doing something you like doing or by OPM'ing...

Either way, don't forget us at ABW. Your posts have been inspiring, enlightening and educational. They would be deeply missed.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Basically, I don't have time to teach someone who might be interested or might not be. They would have to be dead serious on wanting to do affiliate marketing.
    I have people that work for me and they know nothing about affiliate marketing. They are each hired to do a certain job.

I started with one person and now I have 3. I also have a fourth job that needs to be done but I don't have a regular person for that, I just outsource it as necessary.

But then again it all depends on what kind of sites you have and how good you are at writing instruction manuals.

I can't imagine trying to teach someone affiliate marketing, but one day I'm going to try because I want someone to know how to do what I do just in case something happens to me. But it will be someone that I trust, not someone who I think will turn around, start their own thing, and put me out of business.

Yea, sometimes I wish I could keep more of the money but I know that if I didn't have them there would be A LOT of things that wouldn't get done. So it's one of those things you really have to think about.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    All the Best!

I am sure that when you look back 20 years from now, you will smile and say to yourself, I wouldn't change it for anything. "Spending time with your kids as they grow is priceless" and the first 4-5 years is the most important.

If I come across anything, I will call ya.

Later!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    ...If I come across anything, I will call ya.

Later!
    Thanks Eric. I really appreciate that.

-sfcom

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread