ABW Ambassador
    Setting Up Wordpress On Your Own Hosting Thread
    This was one of the topics I really wanted to learn about and when talking about starting this forum, there were a few others really interested in it as well and I'm sure many more. Getting your own domain and hosting for wordpress. And I guess there's more than one way to do it.

I know you can download it and do it yourself.

They also have http://wordpress.org/hosting/ some hosting recommendations with auto install.

So was wondering for those who have their own hosting. Which way did you use, pro and cons of each. And if anybody was willing or knew a place that did a step by step and how to do it. I bookmarked this awhile ago - http://momscashblog.com/tutorials/

And does that look about right?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    My hosts have autoinstall. It's easy and convenient.

Oh yes, please keep in mind that installing third party plugins and auto installing Wordpress are two different things. Just in case anyone wants to mention security.

However I have installed it myself once and that is easy as well. I followed the instructions on Wordpress.org That link you posted was a little lengthy, I don't remember the one I read being so long.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I normally just do a manual install. It really doesn't get much easier than wordpress. All you have to do is

Simplified step-by-step WP install:

1. Create a database in the hosting control panel
    2. Upload wordpress files (via FTP)
    3. Go to your domain and directory for Wordpress (in a web-browser) and enter the data.

You could use those one-click installs that seem to take at least 3 clicks, but in the end it will create a funny database name and you still need to enter the same data for your site.

Dedicated server - Wordpress install = exactly what lostdeviant said.
    Dedicated server - wordpressMU install = not much more than lostdeviant said with a LOT more tweaking, coding, etc and so forth.

Really it is one of the easiest things I have set up and I usually can make most simple tasks pretty challenging. I'm good like that.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

I have four blogs on my own domains with regular installs and two different domains with MU installs. I love WP! I tinker around with lots of different plugins. MU definitely takes a little more patience and research. I just found a few new things through the Blog Classroom thing that is going on, including some SEO that I had never thought about.

I definitely like installing Wordpress on my own domains.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

We have it on our servers for one click install, and I am glad about that, as I do not like the technical side before getting to the fun stuff....but the problem with it being all ready installed, if you want to use a different version then what is currently installed for the one click install, then it can be a bear making sure files don't over ride each other....So my recommendation, if you go with a host that offers you word press all ready installed and ready to go, make sure it is the version you want, that the plug-ins you use are still going to be viable with that version....if not, then find out if they are going to require you to manually install it yourself, or if they will install it for you.....this isn't just for word press, but for all open source program, like joomla and drupal and other blogging apps.

ABW Ambassador
    "Really it is one of the easiest things I have set up and I usually can make most simple tasks pretty challenging. I'm good like that."

I probably could take you for that title. This kind of thing I give myself an F on, I'm probably one of the most tech challenged people here. I'll probably go with the auto install for my first wordpress hosted blog and go from there. Just played around with the free version to this point.

Back when I decided on Wordpress for blogging software, one of the main reasons was because of what I found when I searched for "Wordpress sucks". To say that I am technically deficient is to lightly tiptoe around the matter.

I didn't even know about one-click installs untill recently and still haven't tried it.

Creating the database is easier than it sounds. All you need is to do the initial creation, then tell WP the database name, user name and password you set up. The way you tell WP this info is by putting it in the config file, which is one of the files in the download. It's called config-sample until you change it.

Then you upload everything and use your browser to go to the install file. Then it will tell you that you're done.

Be sure and write down the random password it gives you until you get in and change it to something you want.

These directions are at the WP .org site right by the download.

Believe me, if I can do it, and then show Dave how to do it (he's technical and I'm NOT), anybody can do it. I bet Jesse at PopShops could do a video with her toddler doing it.

I've heard mention by a couple of people of WordPressMU. I've seen references at WordPress.org to their MU (multi-user, I believe?) version, but never used it.

It may not be appropriate in this thread devoted to easy and how-to installs. But could those of you using MU give some indication of why you would want to host a multi-user version on your domain? Is that so you can set up multiple blogs on the same domain, or do you have it so that other people can "sign up" and set up their own blog on your domain?

Don't want to derail the thread, but I'm really curious if some of you would be willing to make a brief explanation. Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    ... I'll probably go with the auto install for my first wordpress hosted blog and go from there. Just played around with the free version to this point.
    Wordpress is free.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I've heard mention by a couple of people of WordPressMU. I've seen references at WordPress.org to their MU (multi-user, I believe?) version, but never used it.

It may not be appropriate in this thread devoted to easy and how-to installs. But could those of you using MU give some indication of why you would want to host a multi-user version on your domain?

Is that so you can set up multiple blogs on the same domain,

or do you have it so that other people can "sign up" and set up their own blog on your domain?

Answers: yes and yes

Some plugins don't work in MU that work in regular wordpress. As I mentioned in the "blog vs. full site" whatever that means thread, you are only limited by your creativity.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Wordpress is free.
    I worded that wrong I meant the one where I got my own hosting and domain.

Answers: yes and yes

Some plugins don't work in MU that work in regular wordpress. As I mentioned in the "blog vs. full site" whatever that means thread, you are only limited by your creativity.
    I guess a "follow-up" question would be: What is the advantage using MU instead of just creating a new subdirectory and installing regular WP in that subdirectory?

I've got a couple of sites with two or more WP blogs on a single domain, but I just used "Fantastico" to install regular WP in 1) the root, and then, 2) a subdirectory.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I guess a "follow-up" question would be: What is the advantage using MU instead of just creating a new subdirectory and installing regular WP in that subdirectory?

I've got a couple of sites with two or more WP blogs on a single domain, but I just used "Fantastico" to install regular WP in 1) the root, and then, 2) a subdirectory.
    I use MU on one site where I have multiple blogs and have multiple blogs on another domain. I like the MU domain better.

Pro to MU: I only install plugins and themes one time and then any of the blogs on there can use it. On my other site, I have to upload the same plugins to different directories. There may be a way around that if you are pretty technical?
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    I use MU on one site where I have multiple blogs and have multiple blogs on another domain. I like the MU domain better.

Pro to MU: I only install plugins and themes one time and then any of the blogs on there can use it. On my other site, I have to upload the same plugins to different directories. There may be a way around that if you are pretty technical?
    I have my own customized install directory that has all the plugins and themes I use. So when I install somewhere new, it is all in one upload.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    but in the end it will create a funny database name and you still need to enter the same data for your site.
    Some hosts let you pick the database name before you do the auto install. Others pick it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    Whoa! I never knew that. A good reason, indeed. I assume WPMU isn't much harder to install than WP 2.5? Is there info somewhere about plugin compatibility, etc.? I use several plugins and would hate to lose their functionality.
    Generate more fake news.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread