Thumbs up Shad Fishing
    A few days after this we (my brother and I) went shad fishing... What an amazing fish it is! Fights extremely actively (more than a trout) -- I lost 4 fish after hooking and fighting them for about two minutes each -- and tastes great too (you gotta be prepared to each some of the bones tho' :-))...

Here are two pictures shot yesterday night when I returned from the fishing:

Geno

wow I haven't seen shad that big before, I use shad to bait my line when bass fishing....and of course when I want to be lazy and do some catfishing

The biggest one I lost yesterday was almost two times bigger than these...

G.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Looks like you had a good time Geno!! I'll have to get you into some trout that you fight for 30 minutes before they break your rod or snap your tippet... You would re-think the "fight" comment for sure... Good to see that you are getting out and learning the water up there.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I'll have to get you into some trout that you fight for 30 minutes before they break your rod or snap your tippet... You would re-think the "fight" comment for sure...
    :-) Hey, I'm ready when you are! Check your PM, Alan.

G.

What kind of bait do you use? I always thought they where algae eaters but guess not. Tons of shad are used down here for bait when fishing, catfish, crabs, and crawfish commercially. I never heard of anyone eating them, but most fish are good if you know how to prepare them.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    What kind of bait do you use?
    The second picture has the answer.

Here's a close-up of the left pocket:

These little rubber buddies (about an inch long each) on 1/32 oz. jig heads can do wonderful things. I used a spinning rod, but saw quite a few fly fishers catch more shad on flies...

G.

I use the same setup for Crappie fishing off the heated dock at lake topeka...I double jig my line about 12 inches apart, and when the weather is just right you can snag one going down and another coming up.....man I want to go fishing now....the only reason I have found for crappie fishing is purely because my kids love that in that particular location, we will always catch a lot of crappie and they think it is exciting, I always end up throwing them all back in, won't eat the lil buggers.....put it does make for an enjoyable day with the kids....

Quote Originally Posted by Rolet
    I use the same setup for Crappie fishing off the heated dock at lake topeka.
    They call them Sac au let down here. That link is to a real nice looking fishing forum. We consider them the tastiest of all the fresh water fish.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread