Wordpress MU
    I can see a bit of interest in this topic in Trusts thread here so I thought I would see who else is using it.
    I am in the midst of developing my second domain utilizing MU and I rather enjoy it. The first site is a general blogging site was more for my own learning purposes which got put on the back burner. After fooling around with it, leaving it and coming back to it later to see it had jumped to my highest PR site and generating a fair amount of traffic, I decided to look at it more closely and do a targeted domain.
    The second site is a niche site allowing members to create and host their own blogs about that niche.
    The biggest challenge I am having is the fact I am not a real Wordpress "coder" and making the various plugins, patches, fixes, etc work the way I want them to is a bit challenging. Cool though.

Anyway, without getting too into specifics (obviously) who else is using it and how have your experiences been?
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I should also add, the real "biggest" problem I have is spammers.
    I'd like to personally thank the "Captcha Crackers" out there with a frozen trout to the back of the head.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

http and a telephoto
    I've been toying with this idea as well, wanted to see if MU would get more stable and more compatible with plugins first.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've been using it on several sites. As I mentioned in the other thread, some plugins don't work.

http and a telephoto
    A list of compatible plugins would be nice to see
    Deborah Carney

I have two MU sites where I have a number of women bloggers (both are women focused sites). I do NOT allow people to sign themselves up. It is basically invitation only.

Here are the plugins that we are currently using successfully:

AdSense Manager
    Akismet
    All in One SEO Pack
    Sociable
    Widgetbox Widget
    WP-Revver
    WP YouTube

I basically got all of them just by doing Google searches. Except Blog Classroom recommended the SEO Pack.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

http and a telephoto
    Thanks! That is a nice set of plugins, I use a couple of them already in my regular installs.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    BuddyPress was mentioned in another thread, anyone have experience with that?

Also, I would love to see some MU sites in action if anyone would like to PM me their link.
    Deborah Carney

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've been testing BuddyPress on a couple of my sites (surprised?).

It is in very early stages of development and every other version being tested seems to break the previous. It is no where close to being used on a real productive site. Several of its planned core features haven't even started development.

As far as MU goes, it is just Wordpress with the option to have multiple blogs and quite a few incompatible plugins. It doesn't LOOK any different.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I've been testing BuddyPress on a couple of my sites (surprised?).

It is in very early stages of development and every other version being tested seems to break the previous. It is no where close to being used on a real productive site. Several of its planned core features haven't even started development.

As far as MU goes, it is just Wordpress with the option to have multiple blogs and quite a few incompatible plugins. It doesn't LOOK any different.
    The one thing that I like is that on one of my MU blogs, I take the most recent post from each different blog and put it on the front page. That way, I have as many as 5 new posts on the front page every day. I think it takes a little tinkering and maybe a plugin, but it is a little bit different twist. I'll have to look at BuddyPress.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    There's an alternative I found to MU while searching around for open source apps to create a niche community site. It's rather cool, and it's called elgg http://elgg.org

I have to admit, it's blogging features are not as fantastic as WP, but then elgg is not exactly a group blogging app, more of a facebook/myspace clone (http://elgg.org/features.php). the blogging part of the script can be enhanced with the help of various plugins that a very active community maintains. It's run by universities and all, so it's seems to be stable and scalable.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Thanks, helpingmoms, for the nice post
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    A list of compatible plugins would be nice to see
    Looks like wordpress has a page to help with that too. There is also a link on that page to a long list of Plugins built for Wordpress MU.

And I'd please like an update on how Wordpress MU is working for those using it? I see an update to 1.5.1 happened (not all plugins found in the link in the page work with it yet), and looks like Buddypress is still developing, but not ready yet for real use?

ABW Ambassador
    Making an evil double post.

I tried to set it up on a localhost, which doesn't work.. need a localhost.domainname which I'm not sure I want to mess with trying. The read me also said, "If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system...then run, don't walk, to (normal wordpress)." So maybe Wordpress MU isn't for everyone? Or it isn't as bad as that makes it sound?

And I had a question. How limited are the accounts people have? Can they only make a blog, or make pages too, like you normally can with Wordpress?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    Making an evil double post.

I tried to set it up on a localhost, which doesn't work.. need a localhost.domainname which I'm not sure I want to mess with trying. The read me also said, "If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system...then run, don't walk, to (normal wordpress)." So maybe Wordpress MU isn't for everyone? Or it isn't as bad as that makes it sound?

And I had a question. How limited are the accounts people have? Can they only make a blog, or make pages too, like you normally can with Wordpress?
    Well...Wordpress MU isn't for everyone, and it's not the n00b-level process regular Wordpress is--BUT it's not as bad as they make it sound, either.

First, though--I've read many comments that say it's darn nigh impossible to get it going on a shared hosting setup. A lot of hosts don't want to let the wildcard subdomains happen. The only reasons I can guess are that they want to be able to charge each sub as a seperate account, or that they're scared you'll put a bajillion subs on and crash the box.

So the following is for if you have a dedicated, or at least a VPS setup.

What you need to be able to do, or be able to figure out how to do:
    Change your server's main config file.
    Be able to spot what to change even if your particular configuration doesn't exactly match what they say/expect.
    Be able to get a wildcard subdomain into your DNS service's records.
    Be able to set up a blank database (the installer does the rest--so much for managing a "complex database"...IT manages it...)

Limitations:
    Admin (you, not individual blog users/owners) decided what themes can be used. I *think* the plugins are the same.

Some plugins may not work. If you know enough PHP you may be able to *make* them work. YMMV

Admin dashboard is quite a bit different than regular WP...although, trickily, it looks pretty much the same at first glance.

Hokey stuff can happen when switching from one blog to the other. Always check that top panel to be sure you're in the right spot, before doing anything.

Some of the (individual-blogger side) bulk-editing tools aren't there, or at least, aren't in a spot I've been able to find them. This can cause aggro.

Some things that you would expect to be on the individual-blogger side, like plugin settings, inexplicably are in the admin interface. The setup page works okay...once you FIND it.

That's it for now.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you Leader. I think I do have shared, and sounds like it'd be better if I avoided it.

WPMU pounds the hell out of the MYSQL database, probably similar to Worpdress but you end up having more sites = many more MYSQL queries. The base WPMU template with no plug-in's has something like 25 queries to display the page.

I love it, but I keep finding that it needs more power. I've moved from zone based shared ~300 megs ram shared MYSQL, to a shared with myself container with 500 megs ram, and see that very soon I need to move to a dedicated WPMU setup.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread