Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Exclamation BlueDolphin.com left LinkShare for CJ
    This certainly took me by surprise, Blue Dolphin must be one of the oldest Magazine affiliate programs around. Anyway In case you missed the email here's the announcement

========================================================

BlueDolphin.com would like to thank you for your dedicated participation in our affiliate program. Unfortunately, we have made a business decision to suspend our Affiliate Program with LinkShare.

We will pay for commissions earned on Net Orders received through affiliate links based on the terms of our Agreement, plus any earned outstanding payments currently owned to affiliates. Affiliates sales commissions will not accrue after April 20, 2008. If you have changed your contact information, please update your profile at LinkShare so you can receive your final commission check in a timely manner.

Pursuant to our Affiliate Agreement between BlueDolphin.com and you, this shall serve as our formal written notice to terminate our BlueDolphin.com Affiliate Agreement. Per our Agreement, you are required to remove any and all banners, buttons, text links, product images and store fronts that link to BlueDolphin.com by End of Business Day April 20, 2008 EST.

If you have any questions, please contact affiliates/at/ m2mediagroup.com

Once again, we thank you for supporting the Affiliate Program and appreciate your compliance with these termination provisions. You will be notified in the upcoming weeks once our affiliate program is reactivated.
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Just saw their email and cannot believe they gave less than 3 days notice.

I wonder if they really think all their affiliates will sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for them to re-activate.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; April 18th, 2008 at 01:10 PM.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Does anyone else just get these emails in Linkshare, and not actually in their email inbox? I haven't gotten any of these emails actually sent to my email address (and my preferences are set to receive emails), but the Linkshare interface claims they did send it. I've had 2 or 3 different email addresses on file, with no spam blocking, yet I never get these mails.

Received mine through regular email. (I only check LS email once or twice per month)
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

http and a telephoto
    Didn't they move from CJ to Linkshare once upon a time? Or have they always been with Linkshare?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I think they were with Be Free a long time ago, but they've been at Linkshare for quite a few years if I recall correctly?

Blue Dolphin is simply moving to CJ.

Linkshare just happens to not allow that to be communicated through their interface. The aff manager is sending out individual e-mails.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjake
    Blue Dolphin is simply moving to CJ.

Linkshare just happens to not allow that to be communicated through their interface. The aff manager is sending out individual e-mails.
    The email I received was not through LS and concluded with:
    You will be notified in the upcoming weeks once our affiliate program is reactivated.
    Maybe they plan to be "reactivated" at CJ, but I for one will not remove their links now, and wait for some number of "upcoming weeks" to pass and then re-do their links. I will replace them and not look back.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    The email I received was not through LS.
    Then that explains why Joshua didn't receive one. AH, is there a reason that the merchant had your email address which would explain why only some of their affiliates received the email?

By the way, I thought it was odd that it appeared that this email came through the LS system because I don't think LS allows merchants to communicate the end of their program through their system. When Easyclicktravel.com left LS last month, there was no advance warning that the program was about to end. I did receive a message through LS about a week before that the private offer I was in was scheduled to end but not that the program itself was going to end.

Snowman, I just checked my LS email, and the same message from BD is there. I don't know why they would send a message to me through regular email and not to others in the program. I have received notice of program level change emails in the past through regular email from them, as is the case with many LS merchants.

The LS email also says that they will be sending out notification of their reactivation. If they are going to do so, certainly after their LS program is closed, they will have to have regular email addresses through which to send the info, unless their plan is just to send out notice of their new program to CJ members.

edit: The program Level change emails come from LS, but today's email was from blue Dolphin by m2mediagroup dot com.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; April 18th, 2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Then that explains why Joshua didn't receive one. AH, is there a reason that the merchant had your email address which would explain why only some of their affiliates received the email?

By the way, I thought it was odd that it appeared that this email came through the LS system because I don't think LS allows merchants to communicate the end of their program through their system.
    For the first point, I'd blame it on Linkshare's old publisher system thinking that I have an invalid email address. That's what happens when every email re-activation email that I've received from them links me to a 404 page...

As for the LS program close announcement, maybe LS doesn't let them send out beyond X days before the program close?

Things can get difficult when switching networks, especially with what you're allowed to communicate to affiliates, and how quickly things can happen with contracts. As Chris from AMWSO can attest to, their South Beach Diet affiliate program was offline for about a week when going from CJ to LS.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Someone told me that you are not allowed to announce or make any public announcements when a program is leaving Linkshare. I do not know this for sure or first hand, but if it is true, it could explain why there is not usually a notice given when programs leave.

It may not be the merchants fault or within their control. I am not saying it is right, but if it is a true rumor that has floated around, maybe think about the network being at fault and not the Merchant. If it isn't a true rumor, then ya, the merchant should be giving a reasonable notice.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerblader
    Someone told me that you are not allowed to announce or make any public announcements when a program is leaving Linkshare. I do not know this for sure or first hand, but if it is true, it could explain why there is not usually a notice given when programs leave.

It may not be the merchants fault or within their control. I am not saying it is right, but if it is a true rumor that has floated around, maybe think about the network being at fault and not the Merchant. If it isn't a true rumor, then ya, the merchant should be giving a reasonable notice.
    In this case, the merchant gave affiliates 3 days notice that they were closing the LS program, but no info about a new program with another network, which mikeyjake posted here is in the works. So, either they were within LS regulations when they gave this notice, or they didn't care and broke the rules. Regardless, 3 days notice is hardly sufficient.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Merchants can announce they are closing their program on LinkShare. I believe any amount of notice is allowed. Also because of the way the LinkShare agreements work (12 months) the merchants generally know well in advance for when their contract will expire.

The main issue that comes up is that merchants spend that last month in protracted negotiations, either to try and get a better rate, or to hide from LinkShare the fact that they are moving to another network, and therefore don't inform their affiliates until the very last second.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Whether it's reality or perception (and perhaps based on things that have happened with prior management), many merchants feel that LinkShare will not allow them to announce where they're moving, that they'll take retaliatory actions, and that they can't transition with concurrent programs for a while. I know that LinkShare has claimed in the past (here, I think?) that this isn't the case, but it's rare to see a merchant leaving LinkShare who does things any different than this. They almost always have short notices, no communication about where they're moving, and no transition.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    By the way, I thought it was odd that it appeared that this email came through the LS system because I don't think LS allows merchants to communicate the end of their program through their system. When Easyclicktravel.com left LS last month, there was no advance warning that the program was about to end. I did receive a message through LS about a week before that the private offer I was in was scheduled to end but not that the program itself was going to end.
    Nothing to do with LS. The LS email system will let you send almost anything. There are filters in place in the email system but they can sure announce it.

I did that when my program closed down. I gave a 3-4 week notice via the LS interface and sent a few follow up email. ECT advance notice this can't hold up. It is up to the program manager to address that and decide as to whether they want to give affiliates notice.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Nothing to do with LS. The LS email system will let you send almost anything. There are filters in place in the email system but they can sure announce it.

I did that when my program closed down. I gave a 3-4 week notice via the LS interface and sent a few follow up email. ECT advance notice this can't hold up. It is up to the program manager to address that and decide as to whether they want to give affiliates notice.
    However this may be a bit different from your situation since the program sounds like it isn't just closing, but it is moving to a competitor's network. When programs transfer over to Linkshare competitors, the program usually gives zero to barely any notice to the affiliates, and it seems they never announce it publicly. It is usually affiliates or OPMs that end up finding out last and bringing it to peoples attention.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I do not really see a problem with announcing if they are closing or moving plus giving ample notice.

If they r moving, you do not have to clearly spell it out that you r moving to Cj or etc. Just say ur putting the prog on hold as of XXXX date. Once you go live with the other network, just let them know.

It is better to give all your partners (networks, affiliates, opm) notice and direction ahead of time as opposed to keeping everybody in the dark.

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like Target used Linkshare's system to communicate with affiliates a year ago notifying of their move to Performics two weeks later.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...05&postcount=2

Target probably has better lawyers...

Not sure if it matters to any of ya or not (I wasn't one of their affiliates) but just noticed...they did pop up at CJ.

Just lettin anybody who might wanna know in case they weren't aware of it.

Yep, they're back at CJ and paying higher commissions if you can make a good number of sales. From the magazine sites I'm affiliated with in CJ and Linkshare (Magazines.com), it looks like Blue Dolphin has the highest commission rates now. Good that they decided to move .

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread