View Poll Results: what do you find to be the most challenging part of being an affiliate?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • finding good merchants.

    4 13.79%
  • advertising/exposure for your site.

    10 34.48%
  • visitor retention/loyalty.

    5 17.24%
  • other.

    10 34.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    45
    what do you find to be the most challenging part of being an affiliate?
    finding good merchants.

    advertising/exposure for your site.

    visitor retention/loyalty.

    other.

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    I'd say it's definitely building up customer loyalty and generating traffic by non-SEO means. Its especially difficult to build up loyalty because most customers have very high standards. They expect up to the minute coupons, products, prices and reviews and if we can't meet those needs they'll immediately look elsewhere. Retail is tough, but that's what makes it such an enjoyable challenge.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Other...

    Staying off ABW long enough to get work done. Seriously! I think it's an addiction...



    X

  4. #4
    Newbie NiftyMat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2
    Other...trying to explain to my in-laws exactly what I do for a living.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    551
    Wot snib said

    In addition

    health
    motivation (sometimes)
    work/family family/work balance

  6. #6
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    The most challenging part is that I've suddenly become extremely paranoid that (a lot of unscrupulous) AM's and merchants will use my data to compete with me.

    It's difficult to work in an industry where"conflict of interest" doesn't seem to apply. And it's frustrating that doing the right thing is something that has to be enforced- instead of being something that's done automatically.

    Too bad I don't drink because now that you've got me thinking I could use or

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,420
    >>an industry where"conflict of interest" doesn't seem to apply...

    You can say THAT again!

  8. #8
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    >>an industry where"conflict of interest" doesn't seem to apply...

    You can say THAT again!
    And again and again ...
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    The most challenging part is that I've suddenly become extremely paranoid that (a lot of unscrupulous) AM's and merchants will use my data to compete with me.

    It's difficult to work in an industry where"conflict of interest" doesn't seem to apply. And it's frustrating that doing the right thing is something that has to be enforced- instead of being something that's done automatically.
    Totally agree. Six months ago I worried 90% of the time about seo and generating traffic. 10% finding right merchant.
    But now, it's ALWAYS in the back of my mind that the AM, OPM, Merchant, or Network maybe stealing my best ideas and strategies.

    Feel like I'm working in a LeCarre spy novel.

  10. #10
    Outsourced Program Manager Azam Marketing's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2006
    Posts
    92
    Working on a purely results basis. So you're taking the risk and the pressure.

    Also, unless you're promoting merchants who pay residual income or utilising strategies to keep visitors loyal to your websites, affiliates are constantly having to hunt for new customers to refer to advertisers as they only earn income for sales within the cookie period.

  11. #11
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    You can say THAT again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    And again and again ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    But now, it's ALWAYS in the back of my mind that the AM, OPM, Merchant, or Network maybe stealing my best ideas and strategies.
    Oh good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.
    I won't be drinking alone.

    Interestingly enough, someone finally admitted what I knew to be true anyway. Usually you hear that "Oh AM's can't use any information that they have, it's just basic stuff, that's not my niche, blah blah."

    Bull.

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    I think it's a given that content is going to get stolen. Just look at all the major blogs out there where stories are re-syndicated and copied just minutes after they're posted. And now we've got the new Data-Portability initiative that supports the sharing of content. Sites are becoming more open and are putting fewer restrictions on their data. This is just the direction the web is going. Rather than keeping everything to ourselves we're sharing in order to add more value to the internet as a whole.

    The real challenge isn't protecting our data and ideas, it's implementing them well enough to become an authority.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  13. #13
    Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2006
    Location
    Go Daddy
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    This is just the direction the web is going. Rather than keeping everything to ourselves we're sharing in order to add more value to the internet as a whole.
    Only on the internet.....

    Just because something is a trend, it doesn't mean its acceptable in all instances.

    Tell KFC to stop keeping their chicken recipe a secret because they could add more value if they shared it. That way I could get KFC style chicken at more places than just KFC. It would probably help the environment too because I could save gas by going somewhere closer.

    Tell Toyota to give Ford some of it's marketing and developing secrets because it would add value to the country as a whole. I'm tired of people getting laid off at Ford and if they knew what more successful companies were doing, then maybe they could do it themselves and do better business.

    By the way, teenagers and even kids should definitely have plastic surgery because that's the way things are headed, and current trends make things acceptable...right?

    P.S. syndication is different than stealing, and I don't like when things are stolen from me. (Yes sploggers, I'm talking to you too!)

    I really need a vacation.

    : : :

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Only on the internet.....

    Just because something is a trend, it doesn't mean its acceptable in all instances.

    Tell KFC to stop keeping their chicken recipe a secret because they could add more value if they shared it. That way I could get KFC style chicken at more places than just KFC. It would probably help the environment too because I could save gas by going somewhere closer.

    Tell Toyota to give Ford some of it's marketing and developing secrets because it would add value to the country as a whole. I'm tired of people getting laid off at Ford and if they knew what more successful companies were doing, then maybe they could do it themselves and do better business.

    By the way, teenagers and even kids should definitely have plastic surgery because that's the way things are headed, and current trends make things acceptable...right?

    P.S. syndication is different than stealing, and I don't like when things are stolen from me. (Yes sploggers, I'm talking to you too!)

    I really need a vacation.

    : : :
    HaHaHa... Your cannon is loose!



    X

  15. #15
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Of course intellectual property owners have the right to decide what happens with their property, but I think leveraging it through social channels will have a better outcome than not. If we let paranoia take control we'll just be hindering our growth.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  16. #16
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Of course intellectual property owners have the right to decide what happens with their property, but I think leveraging it through social channels will have a better outcome than not. If we let paranoia take control we'll just be hindering our growth.

    - Scott
    *sigh* This after just finding original content scraped from my site and being used on a merchant's site ... I'm ready to get flaming drunk with you ProWebAddict.

    Meanwhile, the dumb ass merchant who ripped my stuff left my aff links in place. LMAO - Don't know whether to shut up or get pissed.
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    Content isn't the only thing that get's stolen or that's important.

    I've found that the way you organize a website, link to other websites, inter-link pages, the relationship of content to affiliate links and a host of other things (that I won't go into) dramatically affect the seo traffic and sales you get. If I have a niche site for 2 or 3 merchants, and merchants and AMs have access to my sales data and whatever. They can duplicate the strategy. They know what works and what doesn't.

    I'm actually working out ways to make my strategies less obvious, so most people won't get it, even if they see the numbers.

    After reading some of the threads here, I wish I had done this since day 1.

  18. #18
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    *sigh* This after just finding original content scraped from my site and being used on a merchant's site ... I'm ready to get flaming drunk with you ProWebAddict.

    Meanwhile, the dumb ass merchant who ripped my stuff left my aff links in place. LMAO - Don't know whether to shut up or get pissed.
    Sounds like this merchant can't be trusted. You can't just take content without being given permission to use it.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  19. #19
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Sounds like this merchant can't be trusted. You can't just take content without being given permission to use it.

    - Scott
    It's not a merchant with an affiliate program AND they're in Australia. The site owner "blamed" it on her web designer.

    I've let her know what I think of her "web designer."
    Peace,

    Rexanne

    Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic


  20. #20
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by joaney

    what do you find to be the most challenging part of being an affiliate?

    finding good merchants.

    advertising/exposure for your site.

    visitor retention/loyalty.

    other.
    Do you want the sugar coated version, or the real truth?

    1 - Finding good merchants?

    For any affiliate, any merchant can be a really good merchant, or the worse waste of time they have ever encounter before!

    2 - Advertising/exposure for your site.

    To me, that one is the most easy part!

    If I really wanted to be branded, I have a site that everyone on this planet already knows about, even if they still don't know about that domain name by now, but since I don't care about that for now, I don't care about that free exposure just yet!

    3 - Visitor retention/loyalty.

    I would never try to retain any visitor on my money sites!

    In the words of a famous Leader , I too want those suckers out of my site and ready to buy since yesterday!

    And if they got what they were looking for on the site that my links send them, then of course I would like to see some loyalty back to my site, but to me that's an extra benefit of doing the right thing on my sites.



    Btw, Question #4 - "what do you find to be the most challenging part of being an affiliate?"

    Trust, if you can't trust the merchant from the getgo, then... figure out what's next.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    53
    Patience

  22. #22
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2006
    Location
    Colorado / Florida
    Posts
    4,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Other...Staying off ABW long enough to get work done. Seriously! I think it's an addiction...
    You might enjoy this one Boomers not Bloomers!

    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...=abw+addictive
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

  23. #23
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Land of The NFL Champs!
    Posts
    2,942
    TRAFFIC!

    But visitor loyalty/retention, which leads to natural inbound links, also plays a big part of the traffic equation.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

  24. #24
    Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2006
    Location
    Colorado / Florida
    Posts
    4,411
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Only on the internet.....
    Tell Toyota to give Ford some of it's marketing and developing secrets because it would add value to the country as a whole. I'm tired of people getting laid off at Ford and if they knew what more successful companies were doing, then maybe they could do it themselves and do better business.

    ;-) Ford and every other American manufacturer has every bit of the technology that Japan does, and more. The problem here is not lack of technoligical knowledge but I'm sure you know that.

    on the challenge question...

    I would also cast a vote for customer loyalty as a big big challenge. Especially with online shopping, consumers are most often going to go with whomever gives them the best price for the same product. As there is no face to face interaction, a bit of customer retention capability can be lost.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador Boom or Bust's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    You might enjoy this one Boomers not Bloomers!
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...=abw+addictive
    A good read, thanks...

    See A.A.



    X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Challenging reversals
    By boningroup in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •